Forum rules

Please attach an image to your first post so that a thumbnail is generated in the list of topics.

Post subject: Machsuit
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:22 pm 
Death Star Gunner

Hello, lets see if anyone is alive here.

This is a new mech concept I am working on. So far I have sculpted, then retoppoed and after that shaded the helmet.
So far I have started to sculpt the body but I am far from done. There are loads of imperfections in the sculpt but I can live with them as long as I sort them out when I retopologyse it.
Any thoughts on look, detail I should add, colors or if you have some cool reference in mind that could be helpful, send them my way

Attachments:
Mudded_v001.jpg
Mudded_v001.jpg [ 837.78 KiB | Viewed 59 times ]
Helmet_v001.jpg
Helmet_v001.jpg [ 352.19 KiB | Viewed 59 times ]

Post subject: Re: Machsuit
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:03 pm 

Heya Filip,

Yup theres still life around here :-)

I find the volumes on the body around the pelvis and armpit to be strange. I'd suggest reviewing the anatomy.

The face has eyes that are weirdly far apart, and a shortened/reduced cranium. Both things that could use some attention.

Detail on both the body and the head seem chaotic and unplanned. They don't imply any sort of functionality... how does he put it on/take it off. What is is for? interfacing with the mech? keeping him alive? Is he wearing a helmet? or does it attach to his head? or IS it his head? Whats it made out of? why the multicoloured paint?
I'd suggest simplifying the design - or at least picking a few lines, and exaggerating them, making them important - give me something to focus on.

Great to see new work from you dude - hope life is treating you well

-Simon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:50 am 
Death Star Gunner

Hello master Simon.
this is usfull stuff.

I took some selfies to compare the composition of the face to the helmet and you are spot on, I guess i jumped the gun on retopo the helmet. GRR! Seams like Ill be ok if i put his "jaw" if that makes sense a fair bit lower and move in the eyes in a tad I'll be fine. What do you think? Prob hard to say until I execute it.
Haven't done any projects that I had to respect the human anatomy and had a feeling I would run in to those kind of problems.

The coloring is simply just applied for visual appeal purposes as people do with all kinds of products, are you hating it?
Material is painted steal plates, I guess you mean to kindly say that that's to unclear? Not good
The function to the suit is to give him protection from gun shots, explosions and other things your body could get damaged by if you are planing to put it in harms way. I have a feeling you already figured out how the design process went, I took a human body and started to patch him up, patch by patch. It's obvious not good if you could feel that. I feel I have to do a lot to improve this. Manly adding clearer design features and making sure he could move. i'LL have to remove a lot but that's all a part of the process i guess.

The helmet is meant to be possible to remove, the process to do so is rather tidies. If you see these oval shapes, you can pull this little thing in there and start to take things of peace by peace. Its not the most expensive and nice suit so you will have to do some extra effort while putting it on/ taking it of.

Thank you Simon, life is treating me pretty well thanks. How are you?

Im posting the model for the helmet without any changes yet applied, still have to do some actually professional work but Im sure I find time to carry this on soon.

Attachments:
dasdasd.jpg
dasdasd.jpg [ 394.64 KiB | Viewed 40 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:38 pm 
Administrator

Alive! :grin:

Interesting model. Going to rig it? I wonder how all that detail would deform.

Great to see you still making stuff!

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:46 pm 

Just observations.
You get to tell the story you want with your character, but remember the details you introduce are what conveys that story to your auidience in your absence. So consider those details carefully.

The goggles imply eye protection. From dust, light, harmful environments.
The masking of the mouth is close to the skin, and soft in shape, implying cloth or some sort of light air filter. The tiny grill implies a speaker or communication ability - but its very low on his chin.

The complexity of it is not something you find in military designs - mostly because the complexity is hard to replicate en-masse for an army, and is easily damaged in combat.

Taking things off piece by piece is fine, but work on making those pieces clearer. Helmet, face guard, goggles, etc. Can he take the goggles off while wearing the helmet?

The nose is quite defined and still quite recognisable - making him quite human and reasonably relateable. Often masks and helmets are designed to remove or exaggerate human elements and make people more intimidating or anonymous.

Life is good, keeping busy. MDS never stops :-)