Forum rules

Please attach an image to your first post so that a thumbnail is generated in the list of topics.

Post subject: 3D scultp
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:52 pm 
Tusken Raider

This is something ive been working on lately. At the moment it just has a displacement map and a basic shader. But i plan to create some more textures for it.
Feed back is welcome!

Attachments:
Test_render.png
Test_render.png [ 558.8 KiB | Viewed 4450 times ]

Post subject: Re: 3D scultp
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:12 pm 
Tusken Raider

I have been spending my time researching how to paint skin diffuse.. Its tricky, still a long way to go but i quite like the result from these renders.

Attachments:
skin_V2.jpg
skin_V2.jpg [ 459.48 KiB | Viewed 4421 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:06 pm 
Administrator

Looking good so far!

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:05 pm 
Tusken Raider

Thanks! Obviously still a work in progress, I thought i would try my luck with sub surface scattering. Ive learnt a lot over the past few days, hopefully i can put it to good use soon.

Heres a test render with a few more maps and tweaks.

Attachments:
SubSurface.png
SubSurface.png [ 655.5 KiB | Viewed 4390 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:12 pm 
Sandtrooper

Looking real good!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:18 pm 
Tusken Raider

Thanks man!
Ive been adding more textures, never knew how many textures a face could have! but there is definitely room for more. haha.

Attachments:
Progress.png
Progress.png [ 750.48 KiB | Viewed 4370 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:27 am 
Tusken Raider

Looking good. solid sculpt! maybe you could add some grunge textures to the teeth like food decay or grime from what ever he supposedly eats..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:02 am 
Sandtrooper

^ What she said. Plus they probably need to be an SSS shader, same for the gums. Skin shader also needs work, put a rim light behind him and look at the ear - then you can adjust the SSS until it has a nice translucent effect. Right now the ear looks stone solid. Keep at it though, it definitely has potential

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:11 pm 
Tusken Raider

Thanks guys! your feed back is very much appreciated. I tried to add some grime to the teeth, but i think your right, they will need some sss. Ill take a look at that this week. I also re-did some of the topo round the eyes, its starting to look a little bit better. This is also a much better SSS render, after reading your comment i played with some settings. I havnt been able to successfully implement a back scatter map yet either.

Ive been really struggling with reflections and glossiness these last few days, it still looks quite general at the moment. i will continue to experiment.

I also am thinking about some war face paint, see how I go.

Attachments:
File comment: a few more updates
SSS_Update.png
SSS_Update.png [ 804.25 KiB | Viewed 4317 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:20 am 
Tusken Raider

I recon war paint would really suit this character. Good idea! the sss shader is looking good. its Really adding that next step to realism for it.
Have you experimented with maybe accentuating the veins with different hues? or trying darkness around the eyes.. depending on the look your going for of course =)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:10 am 
Sandtrooper

Yeah it could definitely use some large-scale variation in the skin tones. Right now its one shade of brown/green everywhere - change it up around the eyes, under the nose, between wrinkles etc. I would also add more dirt everywhere, go too far with everything you do, then take a step back. Some sweat drops/stains are easy to add in the reflection/glossy maps and they look awesome. Skin shader looks much better and I like the dirt on the teeth, but again - take it a step further. They also need to be more reflective (gums too), it will look good as long as you have breakup in the spec/glossy. Dont rely completely on your HDRI when you're doing this stuff, duplicate your rimlight, move it around, do a few renders and see what your maps are actually doing. The eyes are a whole new arena, maybe you havent gotten to that yet but you'll need a little mesh for the tear duct, as well as two pieces of geo at the top and bottom of the eye, to catch the specular and give the impression of wetness. You'll need a separate mesh for the eyeball which will be SSS, and another mesh for the cornea with a bulge at the front and an IOR of 1.38, this one should be fully reflective and refractive. Test this separately from the head before you stick it in there. There's lots of other cool things you can do with this but I think thats enough for now, again some of this might be irrelevant depending on the look you're going for. I'm really liking it though, hope you see it through to comp :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:05 pm 
Tusken Raider

Thanks guys! I dont know what i would do without you! I decided to re-do all the maps with my new found knowledge, and i think im really starting to notice some progress here. Still not 100% there, but a massive improvement none the less. Thanks for your tips about the eyes martin. I could see something is still wrong with them but i couldnt figure out what, I havnt updated them yet, but that will be one of my next largest obsticles.
I will post more updates when i have them.

Attachments:
Mpas_Update.jpg
Mpas_Update.jpg [ 436.6 KiB | Viewed 4271 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:20 pm 
Tusken Raider

kind of feels like i am going in circles a bit, hope there are some improvements, unfortunately i am running out of time i would like to divert my attention away from the skin fairly soon. Im in a love hate relationship with it at the moment. although i feel like it wont get 100% looking perfect, i have tackled a lot of new problems for the next time. made some eye adjustments too, my set dead line is 30th December as i will be unable to work on it from then.

edit*it feels quite washed out at the moment, i like the vibe it gives but something is still way off.

Attachments:
circles.jpg
circles.jpg [ 466.43 KiB | Viewed 4222 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:52 pm 
Tusken Raider

I think this is almost as good as the skin is going to get. for the most part i am happy with it and the things i learned were the best achievements, I have never tried this type of thing before. but now i think i need to starting working on the mouth / tounge gums and eyes. and then rigging.

Attachments:
skinX2X.jpg
skinX2X.jpg [ 489 KiB | Viewed 4209 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:35 pm 
Tusken Raider

getting a feel for the mouth.

Attachments:
gumslookJ.jpg
gumslookJ.jpg [ 498.74 KiB | Viewed 4206 times ]