Forum rules

Please attach an image to your first post so that a thumbnail is generated in the list of topics.

Post subject: Alien examination
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:55 pm 
Tusken Raider

Hey guys, thought i would share what I have been wokring on lately. Still a massive work in progress. but i hope I can achieve it.

A bit of a run down of my vision

Its a camera fly through of a science lab sector that is studying aliens. a few key objects in the scene are going to be.
a dead scientist in the foreground. Aliens floating in their study tanks. But the Centre Chamber / tank will be smashed with no alien, implying that one has escaped.

Ive been focusing mainly on composition so far, but i have started some modeling. I will share some images.

would love and appreciate any feedback and input you guys can share.

:thumbsup: :occasion:

Attachments:
File comment: An alien concept
Alien_01.jpg
Alien_01.jpg [ 216.38 KiB | Viewed 6187 times ]
File comment: Camera fly through
Layout_02.jpg
Layout_02.jpg [ 236.24 KiB | Viewed 6187 times ]
File comment: Early camera
Layout_01.jpg
Layout_01.jpg [ 206.25 KiB | Viewed 6187 times ]

Post subject: Re: Alien examination
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:07 am 
Administrator

For the alien design, where you inspired by anything in particular, like certain creatures etc? Did you look at other alien designs too? The alien design you have now feels a little bit like a human with crab-hands and a lizard head attached to his body, which is more 'science experiment' than 'evolutionary design'. I think a bit more flow between shapes would be nice, so maybe think more about why he looks the way he does, and how all those parts would integrate naturally.

Looking forward to seeing a big project like this reach a final render! Good luck! :thumbsup:

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:45 pm 
Tusken Raider

Thanks Worzel, I've just been using a few images i found off the internet, I understand what you mean. All my concepts sort of have a humanistic feel to them.. Ill try and mix it up a bit and do a deeper research into aliens tonight. I wish i read your comment this morning.

Here is a few more I have don and a quick render for the environment to see where i may need more detail.

Attachments:
Quickie.png
Quickie.png [ 204.22 KiB | Viewed 6159 times ]
Alien_04.jpg
Alien_04.jpg [ 144.47 KiB | Viewed 6159 times ]
Alien_03.jpg
Alien_03.jpg [ 207.71 KiB | Viewed 6159 times ]
Alien_02.jpg
Alien_02.jpg [ 214.4 KiB | Viewed 6159 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:29 am 
Tusken Raider

Alright, here are some more updates from last week. i think the modeling is 95% complete. Im going to be uving all weekend.

I had a good friend of mine help me with the glass shatter in houdini for the centre tank. really impressed with the result.

Concepted i think 8 aliens now, and im happy with 3 of them, ill do a couple more ideas for the last tank, but i think im liking the little curled up creatures to break up the ideas a little bit, so far everything stands on two feet. but they are seen through glass and water so theres alot of refracted distortion.

Also threw in my dead guy! let me know what you guys think for his pose, i imagine he will kind of be lying in a pool of his own blood.

pressures on.

Attachments:
alien_05.jpg
alien_05.jpg [ 168.28 KiB | Viewed 6133 times ]
alien_06.jpg
alien_06.jpg [ 140.04 KiB | Viewed 6133 times ]
alien_07.jpg
alien_07.jpg [ 158.46 KiB | Viewed 6133 times ]
alien_08.jpg
alien_08.jpg [ 175.01 KiB | Viewed 6133 times ]
deadguy.jpg
deadguy.jpg [ 251.42 KiB | Viewed 6133 times ]
Layout_04.jpg
Layout_04.jpg [ 337.85 KiB | Viewed 6133 times ]
Layout_03.jpg
Layout_03.jpg [ 313.42 KiB | Viewed 6133 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:40 pm 
Administrator

Some nice alien designs there! With the dead dude on the ground, note that finger tips bend very little compared to the next knuckle along the finger when the hand is relaxed . It looks like you've made all the knuckles bend at the same angle. I think you can push the finger poses a lot more there.

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:49 am 
Tusken Raider

this looks nice, i think my only oppinion is if you want, you add have a 3d projection of a alien dna or alien eggs , other than that, looks nice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:33 pm 
Tusken Raider

ive been a bit slack with updating my post. I moved some of the hand poses and i think they feel a bit more natural, still room for improvemnt, something about the dead guy isnt quite selling it for me yet.
I have been texturing all easter weekend. try not to pay attention to my shabby rendering playing with some different light set ups etc, just to see what feels good.

with all this refraction and such these renders are becoming very long, i hope i can squeeze out an ez 200 frames before the end of next week.

Attachments:
Setup_27.jpg
Setup_27.jpg [ 434.94 KiB | Viewed 6077 times ]
Setup_28.jpg
Setup_28.jpg [ 509.02 KiB | Viewed 6077 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:10 pm 
Tusken Raider

Been playing around with some lighting, and updated some textures. not long to go now..

Attachments:
shortie2.png
shortie2.png [ 336.48 KiB | Viewed 6043 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:50 pm 
Sandtrooper

This has great potential! Would be good to see your references for lighting, its a very dark image right now (bring it in to photoshop and look at the levels). I would play with lights in the ceiling, maybe something to bring more attention to the POI (broken cannister) but also light up the scene as a whole. You can still make it moody in post. Also I dont know if its a gamma issue or if you did some massive level changes in post but there are some pure black areas with a really bad transition, looks like you crushed the blacks and then brought them back up. There is some good modeling in there, just need the right lighting to show it off.
Great work

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:17 am 
Tusken Raider

Hey! thanks martin, yeah your absolutely right about the lighting, Ive been working all week on it just adding a few rim lights to some things and such. It did brighten up some areas i didnt want but ill fix it up in post.
Ive had a world of issues over the past few days, the major one and which i am deeply disappointed about is that shattered glass, unfortunately the glass shards i made was no where near the scale of proper glass so they were flickering every chance the got because of so many different polygon faces and angles at such a large size. But i managed to figure out something that still kind of suits the theme, I have replaced the center tank with a human so not only is it sort of an alien examination its just about all species, which i think adds a lot of mystery as to who or what is doing this, especially with a dead human assistant in the foreground. Time is running out. I am currently half way through the final render which should be done early tomorrow morning, then a few days to comp and hand in on the monday. heres a sneaky quick comp i threw together to see what Its gunna kinda look like.

P.S dont pay attention to the black screens, i am going to track some stuff onto them to make them look like Monitors.

Attachments:
update_02.jpg
update_02.jpg [ 542.22 KiB | Viewed 5999 times ]
update_01.jpg
update_01.jpg [ 495.54 KiB | Viewed 5999 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:43 pm 
Tusken Raider

https://vimeo.com/125444361

Well this was the deadline submission. reasonably proud of myself. still think it needs some work though.
Love to hear your thoughts.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:43 pm 
Administrator

Cool man. Not sure if it's the compression, but feels a bit ambient. Would be nice to have some darker falloff with the lighting.

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:27 pm 
Tusken Raider

Thanks Worzel,
I think the compression had something to do with it being a little bit ambient, im working on a few tweaks with the lighting to fix this issue before i'm finally done with it.