Forum rules

Please attach an image to your first post so that a thumbnail is generated in the list of topics.

Post subject: Critique on a work in progress
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:54 pm 
Droid

Just wanted to get some critique on the anatomy, proportion or anything that you could find before I move on to retopologising and connecting it all together. The horse part is a bit rough at the moment and have not done any work yet on the rear area. Head sculpted from a base mesh. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Critique on a work in progress
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:02 am 
Droid

Sup yo!

Looking pretty mint so far a lot of what you need is there. But if it were my sculpt I would really put more emphases on the muscular anatomy for fantasy creatures (especially male characters). Kinda like all the Dragon Ball Z dudes were....., its a nice cheap way to make your character pop!

I would probably have another look at the feet/hoofs of the dude, cause if they are done right they are a good visual point to finish on....wow i hope i don't have a foot fetish, that's weird..... Anyways.... If you think of you art as a show-reel you normally have the really good stuff at the beginning and the end so if you were to transfer that way of thinking to your sculpt its like where your eye starts and ends (looking left to right or top to bottom.)

Towards the end of your process, you should give him a story thru detail (e.g scars,fat,broken horn? maybe he just lost his girlfriend after 3 amazing years and she never told him she was cheating on him! AND I.. I MEAN HE.. WAS LEFT IN THE COLD DARK WORLD ALL ALONE!!!!! hahahaha, nah just kidding. BUT SERIOUSLY!) but just maybe give him something different that creates interest .Boobs are overused, don't do it man.

But yeah just thought I would leave my 2cents, soz if its hurtful :grin:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:08 pm 
Administrator

What's the final output for this model? Will you pose and sculpt some more, or rig/animate? Or will it stay in this pose?

Retna's comment about giving this guy some history is great. Knowing who he is, and what he's been through should help you give him some unique features. Posing him is another step in giving him some personality, so I'm personally hoping you'll get him into some kind of cool pose!

Looking forward to seeing more!

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:56 pm 
Droid

I'm planning to rig him once I'm done with retopology. Give him some basic skinning. I hope to do some muscle simulation on this though using nCloth. So that being said, I'm going to have to create the muscle fibre geo and skeleton for collision as well. Big plans for this and might take me a while. Thanks Roger! Will post a few more progress soon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:42 pm 
Rogue Leader

The horse obviously needs a lot of anatomical work so I'll leave that out as I'm sure you know what you need to work on. In terms of the human I would say make sure your using reference, you seen to be lacking form. you have a number of the muscles in the right places but they're more outlines than actual forms, look up some reference and try to get the silhouette a little tighter. The other one that really stands out to me is the collar bone which you haven't really defined at all, its super important for any movement and pose later on as it helps give direction.
Lastly I would look at where you have the Lats fusing with the horse, it feels like it should be lower around the bottom of the lumbar. you have the lumbar curving into the horses back which doesn't make sense as it wouldn't offer any support. look up pictures of how other people have solved this problem in centaurs and satyrs.

Looking cool man I'm excited to see the progress!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:07 am 
Droid

So I thought I'd put up another work in progress post. Again, thanks so much guys for the feedback and I'd love to get more pointers. I decided to put this guy into t-pose and did a quick skinning to open my eyes for problematic areas around the arm. UV is done I think for the most part. I need to review the topology again where the shoulder/arm is. Retopo was a combination of zrmesh (drawing guide curves) and maya's quad draw tool. I'm sure there's still a big room for improvement in terms of proportion and anatomy so feel free to point it out.

Thanks guys! :occasion:

PS: I haven't looked into giving this guy a character just yet. That will come later in the detailing stage and adding asymmetry. I'll be rigging the symmetrical version and just add the asymmetry as a blendshape once base skinning is done.