Forum rules

Please attach an image to your first post so that a thumbnail is generated in the list of topics.

Post subject: Matte_Painting_Project
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:02 pm 
Sandtrooper

These are some concepts thumbs and colour study thumbs for the project we were given today at MDS for creating a matte painting. I'm aiming for doing a tweaked verson of the bottom right b&w thumb. Not to sure on the colour pass yet, but aiming for something moody, mostly likely dark aswell...yeah baby :P

Sketchbook http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2302362&posted=1#post2302362

Post subject: Re: Matte_Painting_Project
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:35 pm 
Administrator

I like the bottom left colour (and the composition of it)... and top right colour.

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:52 pm 
Sandtrooper

I ran out of time with it and it was handed in this morning, but I'm still going to be plugging away at it between our other assignments. Still a few more details I want to add in and areas to clean up, just not that happy with it so far and I know I can make it look heaps cooler :)

Cheers Worzel, yea that top right one was one of my favs. I'm going to start to incorporate those into the new version.

this is what I had for the hand in.

Sketchbook http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2302362&posted=1#post2302362

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:19 pm 
Imperial Guard

hey there,

Nice image! I can tell by your thumbnails you understand atmospheric perspective but I don't think you quite nailed it with your image..the forest seems to be one level of lightness from close to the viewer to far away and the tower is a bit dark compared to the darkness of the foreground and the lightness of the mountains. I did a quick search for some examples but couldnt find anything to show what i meant so I hit up your image quickly with the dodge tool. I also reduced the noise on your forest just because I found the detail in there distracting. I know matte paintings have alot of detail but I still prefer to figure out where I want the eye drawn to and put the detail there.

Hope you dont mind me playing with your image but I thought a few tweaks to the lighting would help its mood and its depth. Then again I could be wrong! Tower might still be a bit dark...

I also thought about adding some color to it - a bit of orange in the lighting..but quite liked your colors

Attachments:
castle.jpg
castle.jpg [ 67 KiB | Viewed 3900 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:47 pm 
Sandtrooper

Matt that is looking wicked, cheers for the crit & paint over, just got instant KRULL flash backs :) Yea I was trying to find a ref image to see the sort of detail that one could still see from such a distance, it seems to be a fine line, either to light, to dark....it is that Goldie-Locks effect. That knocking back of the detail of the trees works so well.
As for a more secondary colour I was thinking of experimenting along those lines but perhaps more of mustard yellow (not the bright yellow kind)

thanks heaps

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:33 pm 
Jedi Master

WOW DUDE that is really really cool :mrgreen: always like seeing your work