Forum rules

Please attach an image to your first post so that a thumbnail is generated in the list of topics.

Post subject: 15-08-15 Character Bust
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:01 pm 
Droid

With and without helmet.

Attachments:
S01_finalRender_maeCaupit_02.jpg
S01_finalRender_maeCaupit_02.jpg [ 793.74 KiB | Viewed 2218 times ]
S01_finalRender_maeCaupit_01.jpg
S01_finalRender_maeCaupit_01.jpg [ 832.82 KiB | Viewed 2218 times ]

Post subject: Re: 15-08-15 Character Bust
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:02 am 
Administrator

Thanks for posting dalailamae! What is the helmet supposed to be made from? May have been good to have a few different materials, instead of one material for the entire helmet.
What did you use for the hair? It feels a bit CG in its application. Could also have something to do with the texture on the scalp.

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:53 pm 
Droid

For the helmet I was just going for a metal with paint over it that's been peeling off. Yeah i agree. Thought the one material might have showed that it is an airtight helmet because it's supposed to be set underwater. More work and thought could've probably been put into that. I just used NHair for the hair. Yeah. Could it also be that i didn't add enough strands so the hair looks like its thinning?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:02 pm 
Death Star Gunner

It feels like you have put quite a bit of effort to paint in the weathering and scratch marks on the suit, and it is not showing up properly on the final image.

If i bring up the gamma a little there are some good details that would've otherwise been missed.

The suit perhaps require a bit more panelling, right now it feels like the entire helmet is made out of one piece of material. I can see hints of clamps and screws on the helmet, those are best to be created as separated geometries, unless you are aiming for giger-like designs.

I think the skin shader on the face could use a little bit more specular overall. The hair feels like they should be alot denser. If rendering time is becoming a concern, consider rendering out the hair on a separated pass and comp it in post software.

It is bit of a cheat, but painting the scalp covered by hair using similar color may let you get away with achieving the same look with less hair count, although I still believe the density of the hair needs to be increased from what you currently got.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:12 pm 
Ewok

Awesome work Mae! The main thing that sticks out to me is the specular - I think her skin would benefit from more oily shine.

The think the design of the suit is really interesting, but I agree with Worzel- an extra material here or there would bring it to the next level (maybe rubberize those air pipes on the side of her helmet?)