Forum rules

Please attach an image to your first post so that a thumbnail is generated in the list of topics.

Post subject: Beginner 3D work >.< Just started 3 months ago
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:05 pm 
Droid

Attachment:
Shot3.jpg
Shot3.jpg [ 153.93 KiB | Viewed 3622 times ]

I had a hard time trying to figure out, how to get the lights to shine in the right directions. I know there is alot of mistakes so please forgive my noob errors D:
Attachment:
Shot2.jpg
Shot2.jpg [ 166.41 KiB | Viewed 3622 times ]

:chopwood:
Attachment:
File comment: One of my 3D enviro shot ><
Shot1.jpg
Shot1.jpg [ 195.01 KiB | Viewed 3622 times ]

:shock:

Post subject: Re: Beginner 3D work >.< Just started 3 months ago
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:23 pm 
Administrator

Well, the biggest issue is that most of the textures do not look like the surface they are trying to describe... which means you either haven't used reference images of what things actually look like, or you just haven't observed your reference well enough to replicate it.

Also, having a giant spider web lying on the floor is very strange!

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:21 am 
Bounty Hunter

I was actually tripping out and wondering if the spider web was suppose to be close to the camera... that is weird on the floor.

Ref image shot 1.

Looks as if the light source is placed RIGHT OUTSIDE THE WINDOW LIKE A LINGERING PERVERT. What um... application are you using? I'd suggest using a "Directional Light" and not placing it directly against the window (unless you know what your doing as I recall architectural renders do have direction lights placed at the windows). Its just you've got shadows appearing on the walls and ceiling which doesn't seem natural.

I dunno if its just me, but i think you're bump is a little too strong too. Tone it down a bit. You're fire also looks like its a image from old school game... cute?

I'm a little confused on the atmosphere in shot 1, it looks like a nukes going off outside while inside is lit for nighttime. You're rocking chairs allow appear to be floating.

Ref image shot 2.

Digging the fact you have refraction and reflection. However it appears is if the fish is floating there in space (is it suppose to be?) Try adding in the water (get the jar, delete the outside, flip the inside normals, delete the sides just below the cork, close the top. Make sense?) and add reflection and refraction to the water. Ild just tone down on the reflection for the glass and depending on what renderer engine you're using, try and get the correct refraction values. Refraction

Be cool to see you continue to work on this image... or you starting a fresh? What are you working on now?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:43 am 
Death Star Gunner

On first glance, I thought certain carpenter may get upset when he sees wooden planking texture goes the wrong way..looks like he beat me to it :wink:

To sell the scene as believable, the texture needs to be of believable size -

The bottle stopper sitting on the glass bottle in the 2nd shot (apart from the stretchy texture underneath) looks believable to me, because the texture matched the scale of the object.

The wall, the chair, the windows and the ceiling felt strange because of the oversize wooden texture. The heavy-handed bump intensity on those textures are fairly undesirable as well.

The lighting in the room is somewhat confusing as well. fireplace usually have fairly flickery/low intensity light that tends to attenuate (high falloff), creating soft shadows. The ones cast down by the rocking chair appears to be from high intensity lights. Certain object (firewood, furnace) appears to have shadows missing or propagating in peculiar directions.

The overall scene have somewhat inconsistent complexity between objects. Some (chairs/tables) have intricate details while giant mushrooms and spider looks some simplified and lacking any defining details.

Your observation skills will improve over time provided you make an effort for it, dont forget to look for believable image reference too :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:15 am 
Droid

:thankyou: Thank you all for your advice I will note down all the problems and work harder! >< I am not very confident in Maya or Photoshop yet but I will try my best. There are also things that I dont really know how to do yet, like making water in maya.

er and I should have said this earlier in my post but all my shots are based on a little creature living inside a pumkin? so everything should look big n weird Q-Q im confused..

Oh, and Im currently learning how to rig my character and starting on a new project.

Thanks again for ur tips and advice! you guys r awesome :thankyou:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:51 pm 
Bounty Hunter

Thats cool dude. I could tell it was suppose to be miniature due to the overly sized toadstools... and are those buttons on the roof rafters? Not to mention the overgrown red-backs do help give a sense of scale however maybe if you concepted it better? Give the walls a carved out inner pumpkin look? I couldn't tell it was a pumpkin but it does explain some of the stylistic choices.

I'd love to see you do this again. Do some really awesome concepts and then model it accordingly. What would be cool, and I'm just typing aloud, is having lots of DOF in the foreground and background, like trying to create a image with tilt-shift, to really emphasis the miniatureness of the scene. Like you discovered this pumpkin and your taking photos of what was inside. As well as including all the points Worzel and Shortndeadly have spoken of.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:25 pm 
Droid

:grin: Wow thanks BeeNeeGuy thats a great idea! :bounce: I wonder, If I could do that with my current skill. XD

Oh again! :grin: Thank u so much for taking your time to give me these wonderful feedbacks I really appreciate it.