Forum rules

Please attach an image to your first post so that a thumbnail is generated in the list of topics.

Post subject: Vray lighting and photo composite - Lee Perry-Smith Model
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:52 pm 
Bounty Hunter

Something I did. Model can be found here link
Picture was found here
Wasn't the best render time, at 1hr 10secs, probably because I rendered at 3000x2400 with DOF and SSS, no GI.

Happy with it but I think the highlights on his face could be a bit brighter... I don't know. Stared at it for too long.

Ignore this.
SPOILER ALERT   
Attachment:
thumb.jpg
thumb.jpg [ 90.47 KiB | Viewed 3334 times ]

Attachments:
final document.jpg
final document.jpg [ 175.63 KiB | Viewed 3334 times ]
3d file.jpg
3d file.jpg [ 95.46 KiB | Viewed 3334 times ]
original file.jpg
original file.jpg [ 181.33 KiB | Viewed 3334 times ]

Post subject: Re: Vray lighting and photo composite - Lee Perry-Smith Mode
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:10 pm 
Administrator

Yep, highlights stronger. Also, in the photo his head is tipped downward - see the relative ear position and shape of nose/nostrils. In your render the face is straight onto the camera so the head is possibly sitting too low, and we'd see more neck.

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:31 pm 
Imperial Guard

Looks like there's a reflector bouncing the light back onto his face which is common with lighting in that era, Worzel's right about needing stronger highlights but also the shadow's are a lot softer/blurrier (hence probable reflector). You can lift that light in general because the shadows on yours are darker than the original also, that'll pull out better highlights too.

Also on the modelling side the top of his head appears to bulge out a little in yours whereas it doesn't so much in the original, but that wont be noticeable once he has hair I guess.

Great work so far, people are tricky!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:43 pm 
Bounty Hunter

Cheers for the feedback. I'm wondering now if i could create a white object under him to act as a better reflector rather than a light. The shadows are darker in my final image because I was playing around with the curves in Photoshop but after messing around with it for so long i gave up.

All I was just trying to do is add the Lee Perry-Smith model into that picture, matching the lighting and shadows. I wasn't too focused on matching the exact position of the head but just make it look convincing - I'm not trying to recreate the actor in the photo, just replace his head - but I agree there should be more neck with my heads angle. I also didn't want to rig the head so I left him in his default pose, which made posing him for the picture a tad more difficult.

I think one of the problems I was dealing with was the actor would of been doused in makeup and cleanly shaven, where as the model I used is a 3D scan with a very realistic texture (I didn't create this asset). Which made it difficult when dealing with the highlights as his detailed face gave blow outs etc etc etc.

Regardless it's a final image... I'm not working any more on it, if I were to do any more work on it it would just been modifying the curves in photoshop.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:25 pm 
Imperial Guard

Fair enough, for future reference if you need a reflector that's just an area light, unless you want to use global illumination + an actual white card (which is what I'd do). Nice work anyhow :)