Forum rules

Please attach an image to your first post so that a thumbnail is generated in the list of topics.

Post subject: Still Images
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:19 am 
Ewok

Following my teacher's advise from Last Year, I thought I should post something up again, so that in my next project, i will have new idea and criticism to help me improve much, much, more. Plus, it would help me a lot to get feedback from different people other than my teacher/fellow student. :)

This is my school's 2nd project, and is my first time making a production film with my own models! (>_<)

(Previous one were purely for Still Images)
I believe I am still a noob and have lots and lots to learn!!!!!
Your feedback is very much appreciated !

P.S
These images are straight out from my shots (except for the one where the character is holding the gun);
and are all jpg's!

Attachments:
tumblr_static_2.jpg
tumblr_static_2.jpg [ 213.42 KiB | Viewed 2895 times ]
JPG.jpg
JPG.jpg [ 639.36 KiB | Viewed 2895 times ]
jpg.jpg
jpg.jpg [ 40.43 KiB | Viewed 2895 times ]

Post subject: Re: Still Images
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:31 pm 
Rogue Leader

looks cool.

To be honest in the first image i really cant tell whats going on, way to dark. i think its a person with a mask on but there's no real definition so i cant tell. its weird that the wall behind her is lit in like a halo but there's no light on her face. that strikes me as odd.

Also in the second picture in the bottom left corner of the table there's a ropey thing floating, I'm guessing that's intended?

good luck man. that last picture looks awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:19 am 
Death Star Gunner

Hello

The pistol on the right side is glowing. If there is some kind of light linking or so going on to make it pop out, I would suggest you leave it be. You will have a nicer image with a more natural light.

Due to the depth of field some of the background elements appear to bleed in to the foreground so make sure you render with layers.

I think your main focus should be to make that table looking cool. It is taking up so much space, I am sure that if you work on that for an hr you will have a much cooler image.

And my last comment will just be a personal statement but I think a lot of people would agree with me. I see the stuff that is on the table like this: you made pails of of things and you been trying to put every pile as far as you can from each other. It is almost like there is the same distance to every pile. In reality, if someone puts a stack of books on a table one day and then the next day they will go and get some more books for the table they would place some piles close to each other and some further apart. This might seem unimportant but I think it would help you to make a couple of gray renders to find out, try to be as messy as you can, that always look interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:31 pm 
Death Star Gunner

The atmosphere in the shot is quite nice. Here are couple of suggestions:

Since you already have a strong spot light there you may consider putting some volumetric fog in there, a few streaks of shadow/bit of visible dust in the lit area could add a bit of nice touch.

There are a few objects in the scene that appears to have extremely sharp corner edges, the gun is sort of okay but the books (leather cover?) definitely could use a bit of bevel/roundness on the edges

Not sure if its a stylistic choice but usually its good to just have a light directly point at character eyes just to make it stand out more, although i can understand if its just the artistic license sort of thing just to make him more shady and things.

The depth of field is also slightly confusing, it feels like the book is the object of interest in the shot rather than the character, or is the character looking at the book/gun?

Curious at what sort of renderer you are using? It feels like you can enhance your overall look should you deicide to use proper mental ray/vray shaders.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:57 am 
Ewok

I have a reply ~!
Thank you so much for your feedback ! :thankyou:

(I apologies for the late reply as my net was cut off until now) :cussing:

I appreciate all the feedback and I have taken notes down and will work harder !

(((o(*゚▽゚*)o)))

I admit I kind of lost confidence and began to lose what looks good and bad as time goes on as I keep looking at my work (@_@)! So I lost sight of it (v_v) I am on a holiday and I will be starting school again on the 22nd of July; so I will be starting on a new project ! So I really appreciate the feed back on this so I can improve on my next one~ I will definitely get back to this project and improve on it when I finish with my new one ! Definitely esp when I have all these feedbacks.

To answer Shortndeadly's question, I have used Maya Software as I found personally that the fog light from the spot light looked better in software than in mentalray, (and also because I don't really know how to use mental ray properly except that it makes my geometry smooth;
and have never tried vray shaders :shock: ). I will probably look into how to use these renders during my holidays ! :)

Thanks again for your tips and advice! You guys are awesome :thankyou:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:38 am 
Death Star Gunner

Hey man

all I wanted to say, there is no need to lose confidence, as far as I am concerned you have a solid eye for composition and how to create a mood. These two things are stuff that is hard to teach. All the technical stuff and commenting about detail is something you can pick up on your way, you are still in school so don't worry.