Post subject: Maya Muscle Research and Development
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:16 pm 
Droid

Hello everyone my name is Byron and i have been researching the maya muscle system and will be sharing what i have found with you

The objective of my research was to look into the muscle systems available and look into the level of deformation you can achieve with it. The reason i chose muscle systems was because we have a group production coming up and there is one character in it that has a big build and we needed a detailed realistic deformation on that characters movements.

I looked into mainly the maya muscle system because we did not have houdini available and we will be using maya for our classes group production. the main things i wanted to look at was how to create the muscle system, how easy it is to create and what level of detail can be accomplished by the maya muscle system. I came across a few handy things to know like being able to mirror the muscle system unfortunately this does not mirror the sculpted max and min but just the base muscle and that you can add jiggle to the muscles also it gives you the ability to manually sculpt the muscles which gives you a great level of control over how the muscle will move under the skinned mesh. I believe that the maya muscle system is easy to create, it is quite straight forward and it does help to know anatomy whenever it comes to making something look more realistic. The more time you spend making sure the max and min values of the muscles are sculpted properly the more realistic the outcome.

My tutorial for creating a basic bicep using maya muscle

I have my full research document on my beta website
http://byronluders.weebly.com/blog

Please if you have any questions or any comments on what i could do to improve my research comment below
thanks

Last edited by byzrnz11 on Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Maya Muscle Research and Development
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:17 pm 
Administrator

Cool, thanks for sharing that with us! :thumbsup:

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:39 pm 
Imperial Guard

Has the cgMuscle system even been updated in the past 6 or so years? Or.. since AD bought it, really.

In 2011 I was doing adv 3D at MDS and had to discover and employ many work-arounds to get the system to work. It was chocked full of bugs.

Experimenting with it was fine, but when it came to actually using it everything just went wrong. It had a knack for randomly breaking. Took a lot of effort to get around this, I did get it to a level where the system could be used in a production but it wasn't straight-forward.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:15 pm 
Jedi Apprentice

I guess an experiment would be to test in on a rigged arm. controllers etc and muscle animated and see how it goes rotate around the base join maybe bend etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:27 am 
Droid

I will be implementing a muscle system into a rig i am going to be creating in the new project for my class when i actually get into it and encounter issues i will note them and make another vid and post it up here for you guys to see. I know its not straight forward when you use it but just to create the system is quite straight forward. After my research I found that the problems will arise when you try integrate it into the pipeline.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:35 am 
Administrator

Yeah, it'll be cool to see what issues you find.

Feron Animation
Linked In