Post subject: Rigging Stuffs
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:53 pm 
Imperial Guard

I was wondering if anyone knew of any resources where I could learn the following in Maya:

Curve based facial rigging (not the DT one), or maybe joint based if intended for film/tv
Bendy arms and legs (only know of duncandonuts one, but I'm looking for something along the lines of a ribbon setup)
Head Squash/Stretch
Elbow Lock
IKFK Matching

I'm asking because these are things that'd make my rigs feel more... complete. Right now they're extremely basic and have only things like squash/stretch, ik/fk spine, ik/fk blending, osipa face rig.. and I don't know if it's enough to break into the industry.

I have supertoon facial rigging (it's just osipa's setup, but on crack) and animation, I heard that the body one has a ribbon arm setup, if anyone's seen it, how hard is it to follow, worth getting?

And while I'm here, some rigs can have the IK hands parented under the head, the COG, or the chest, just curious, is all that only a parent constraint from the COG, head, and chest, onto the hands, and animating the weight?

Post subject: Re: Rigging Stuffs
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:32 pm 
Tusken Raider

jaredtaylor wrote:
I was wondering if anyone knew of any resources where I could learn the following in Maya:

Curve based facial rigging (not the DT one), or maybe joint based if intended for film/tv
Bendy arms and legs (only know of duncandonuts one, but I'm looking for something along the lines of a ribbon setup)

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/tutor ... -for-delgo

This is excellent tutorial, I took inspiration from his method and instead of skinning it I used a wire deformer. Offcourse I had to do a few tweaks so that it does not slow down the system

Once I figured out for the face using a curve setup, I was able to apply to bendy arms

Here is my rigging reel where I demostrate the above

http://pritishdogra.com/Reel/Rigging.html

Quote:
I'm asking because these are things that'd make my rigs feel more... complete. Right now they're extremely basic and have only things like squash/stretch, ik/fk spine, ik/fk blending, osipa face rig.. and I don't know if it's enough to break into the industry.

That is true. It is still a good idea to make one to show to potential recruiters that you are interested in rigging and you have a good understanding of it. You may still get a Junior rigging position based on that reel.

However the advice I got from one of a my Creature TD friends was to show that you can make procedural rigs. Cause that is what you would be making it yourself.

Honestly having gone to through the process myself over the last year where I developed a auto rig system, I can understand why he told me to do so.

In my opinion I learnt a lot more from that process rather than creating one off rigs(which I did before)

Quote:
And while I'm here, some rigs can have the IK hands parented under the head, the COG, or the chest, just curious, is all that only a parent constraint from the COG, head, and chest, onto the hands, and animating the weight?

Yes pretty much. Or a simpler solution that I found is to have a extra transform node on top of your IK hand so that you can constrain to whatever you like as per the requirement of shot, and you still have the ability to animate the actual IK control.

Or if you are using Maya 2010 onwards, just do it on layers.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps ... eID=123112

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:01 pm 
Imperial Guard

Thanks so much for that, now I need to make a new character to rig and play with :grin:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:55 am 
Tusken Raider

jaredtaylor wrote:
Thanks so much for that, now I need to make a new character to rig and play with :grin:

Take your pick

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_cus ... ory_id=580

or just request one of the modellers on this forum to loan you one :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:20 pm 
Imperial Guard

Awesome link!!

Not too fond of a lot of the characters though, loved the ninja and a couple of them.

But I make my own models for now, if I knew the person I'd rig their model happily, just feels weird taking work from someone I don't know.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:29 pm 
Imperial Guard

I saw a rig once, that had phoneme buttons, they were nurbs circles, if you clicked on it, it was like a button rather than a controller, and it'd set the shape to that phoneme, any idea how to pull that one off?

When you click it, it flashes from selection, but deselects instantly.

Does not use expressions, nor does it use utility nodes.

Edit: It's a script job, think I can do it now. I hate when I ask for help and figure it out myself, makes me look dumb.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:42 am 
Imperial Guard

Been going through that facial rigging tutorial... but I can't mirror the skin weights... it just gives the influence that was on the right controllers to the left controllers

Any ideas?

Amazing reel btw.

Another question.. do animators actually prefer this setup, wouldn't they rather have an Osipa style setup? I mean, this one gives extra control, but Osipa's is just soooo simple and easy.

Edit: Oh wow, this setup uses sliders for phonemes, animators would hate it, I think for now I might have to stick with Osipa's setup or come up with my own methods.

Edit2: Could always make a python GUI for facial controls, I'll see how that goes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:17 am 
Death Star Gunner

Weta Productions had an Osipa setup when I was there, worked great. Personally though I love controls that are on the face already, see the Goon and Morpheus rig.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:34 pm 
Imperial Guard

I tried something like the goon rig - which btw, is a direct rip-off of bishop - but I had a blendshape for smile-up and smile-wide, mixed, they look awful, couldn't figure out how to make a blendshape that either corrects them or is used on smile-diagonal.