Post subject: Question: Setting up SDKs to drive wrinkles (bumpMap)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:58 pm 
Rogue Leader

Hey y'all im just curious if anyone out there knows if there is any way to set a rigged character up, so his facial blendShapes drive a bump texture for wrinkles. It seems that it should be possible but im just not sure how I would actually go about doing it. Any comments, tips or explanations are greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Question: Setting up SDKs to drive wrinkles (bumpMap)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:41 pm 

Hey man. Yea good idea. What you want to do, is have multiple bump maps on your characters head material.

So connect up your a bump map as you normally would. Then go into the hypershade, map your material, create another bump2d and file node, middle mouse drag the file node onto the bump2d node and choose "default" it will automatically connect the outAlpha of the file node to the bumpValue of the bump2d node, then middle mouse the new bump2d node ontop of the one that was automatically created when you clicked the map bumpmap button on your head material and choose other, then connect the new bump2d nodes outNormal to the old bumpMaps normalCamera NB: You might have to go to Right Display > Show hidden if you cant find the outNormal on the old bump2d node. Then just repeat for however many bump maps you have. Just remember you are connecting the newly created bump2d outNormal to the previously created bump2d normalCamera, you arent connecting them to one place, as soon as you connect another to the same attribute it breaks the old connection. So when your done, you end up with a string of bump2d nodes all connected to each other and one main one connected to the material not unlike the image.

Once your done with that tediousness, all you have to do is create set driven keys driving the bump2d nodes bumpValue. you can use the individual blendshape sliders on the blendshape node to drive the bump value or what ever you have driving those blendshapes (sliders etc) if you have a fancy slider it might just be easier just to use the blendshape node to drive the bump value, that way if your fancy slider pulls more than one blendshape together and one of those blendshapes require a bump then it will already pull the bump. Saves you setting up more setdriven keys for the same bumpmap too.

Attachments:
hyperShadeLayout.jpg
hyperShadeLayout.jpg [ 34.07 KiB | Viewed 5471 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:51 pm 

Actually one thing to point out, all those extra place2dTexture nodes arent really needed so you can delete all the ones that are automatically created when u create the file nodes and connect the main one all of them (middle mouse; default connection). I dont know if this saves abit on render times, I know it doesnt hurt them. Just make sure you dont accidently create a cycle somewhere.

Attachments:
hyperShadeLayout02.jpg
hyperShadeLayout02.jpg [ 37.85 KiB | Viewed 5466 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:10 am 

Just to clear something up, the reason why you want more than one bump map is you cant have one bump map just containing wrinkles, if you have wrinkles around the mouth and brow, and pull a shape thats driving the brow then the mouth goes aswell. would look strange if the mouth isnt moving at all. Id suggest making one for wrinkles for Brow up, brow down, brow squeeze and squint aswell as details for the mouth. If you really want to get fancy you could have one for each side of the face, but that would take awhile to do and get looking right.

If you are looking for resources regarding this stuff, Stop Staring from Jason Osipa goes into depth on this kind of thing. Infact ive just regergitated what I have learnt from it. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:39 am 
Rogue Leader

Aaaaah, so thats how you connect more than a single bumpMap to a material, something new learnt, something old forgotten (maybe why pants are necessary, I guess I'll find out soon) :D . That was the main stumbling point for me last night was trying to figure out how to get more than one bump map for the rest of his face creases and what not. Well im off to work so I'll give that a go later on tonight and let you know how it went. Big thanks Mr. Lazman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:42 am 
Dark Lord of the Sith

You can take this further by using less texture maps and mask areas by building a more complex shader. Or by using RGB channels to generate either different maps. Also can I recommend using normal maps instead of bumps - It will look much better. Stranglehold used this masking technique.

If you do go with normal maps then you will need all three channels for the data.. However a secondary map can then be used for the masks and to store any additional info like occlusion perhaps that you can generate at the same time as creating the normalmap.

Take the image below - looks like a mess but take it into photoshop and look in the channels.
Attachment:
rgbcomposite.jpg
rgbcomposite.jpg [ 32.92 KiB | Viewed 5444 times ]

cryENGINE wrinkle maps
I also fished this out for ya that does these sorts of things. This should be easy enough to recreate in your 3D app.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:36 am 
Death Star Gunner

Wow, I kinda just stumbled onto this conversation out of curiousity, but that's a really good explanation guys. I'm sure I'll find a project down the line to put it to use (and test whether I actually remember reading the conversation). :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:15 pm 
Death Star Gunner

You could also make wrinkles using the muscle system in Maya 2008 Extension 2. Go here and watch the vid on the Maya Muscle Enhancements: Wrinkle. From what I can see it looks like it works pretty good. It is a little more complicated but you could probably get more realistic results.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:45 pm 
Rogue Leader

Alllllllrighy then. Thanks for all your posts guys. Now that I've got a day off work and I've recovered from several celebratory drinking things Im going to give this thing a go.

Athor & Revilo - Thanks for those cool ideas, but luckily for me Im using toonShaders so Im not looking for incredibly realistic deformation or anything along those lines, just visible lines.

Also seeing as im using toon shader Is it possible to have an image instead of bump or normal map? Because those just use the shadow colour of my shader and Id rather have black lines for my wrinkles.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:18 pm 
Dark Lord of the Sith

Your right , with the toon shader i can see some issues with line weights. However could use that bump to drive displacement so your shader will draw lines if it indeed uses interior edge lines.

You could drive also drive an image sequence based off the amount of deformation applied instead?! Even just map into a layered shader a picture like you say, can work fine if your shader allows such configurations. Finally if not you can composite a wrinkle renderpass which will allow you to polish its look. Animated displacment maps is other option. Or create a higher res head that can allow you to do wrinkles.

Many ways really, some better than others but it comes back to what you are workin with and what you need it to do.

Give something a go and se how it pans out, and if its not going to plan holla back with the problems and we can take another look at it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:25 pm 
Rogue Leader

Thanks for all those ideas mate, at the mo im playing round with the layered shader so I'll let y'all know how it all turns out

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:50 pm 
Rogue Leader

OK, so apparently I have a history problem that prevents me from applying another shader onto my character. So its back to the original plan of using bump maps for this thing and I'll just have to learn to live with dark brown forehead creases instead of black lines