Post subject: Matching skin tones
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:31 pm 
Jedi Master

Using PhotoShop, Gimp etc...

What sort of techniques should I use to tweak the tones & colours of the the top layer (head) so they match to the lower layer (body)?
Attachment:
skintones.jpg
skintones.jpg [ 29.68 KiB | Viewed 2611 times ]

I know I can use Hue / Saturation / Levels etc sliders to make a fairly close match by eye, though I was wondering if there are technically accurate ways of pulling it off, like through transferring colour ranges etc, or perhaps a recommended workflow when using the bars... I often find one texture ends up oranging out on the bigger picture.

Post subject: Re: Matching skin tones
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:29 pm 
Rogue Leader

hi i have this booked marked to help colour tweak my drawings but you might gets some tone hues ideas off it

http://www.idigitalemotion.com/tutorial ... ntone.html

you might want to blur the image and make your own dark,mid, lightlight tones from the lower part of the body

hopes this helps a bit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:58 pm 
Jedi Master

Thanks Stephen Hawking - that's a useful chart for character creation as well.

Here's a quick'n'nasty method which gets something of the right tones from my image, although it is really more destructive versus the texture details than I would like and it looks kind of washed out like an old photo.

Attachment:
skinattempt1.jpg
skinattempt1.jpg [ 29.98 KiB | Viewed 2601 times ]

What I did here (in Gimp) was...

1. I made a sample cutting of the range of skin tones from the body image (basically the whole back) and pasted this as a complete new image.
2. I resized the new colour sample image so that it was at least as big as the part I wanted to colour match (the head)
3. I then converted this sample to 256 indexed colour (!!!), optimal palette. This essentially forces the image to restrict itself to tones and colours within the current palette.
4. Pasting the head of the original into the image as a new sample, it in now adopts the new palette. It is at least close in the tonal sense, although decent gradients are ruined.
5. I then copied this colour adjusted head back into my intial work, on the layer above the original head, but I set its filter value as "colour" (not hue). I blurred this layer slightly to counter pixelation from the 256 indexing.
6. With RGB colours now taken from the new layer, I adjust the levels of the head so they are as close as I can evenly matched with the full image. (contrast / brightness - I'm thinking that a one-over of this new adjusted version might actually be better to use for step 4)
7. A feathered eraser tool to blend the neck onto the original. Because I'm dealing with two layers (the head and the colour filter layer above) I combined them before doing this.

Airbrushing along with some cloning of textures to replace lost detail might actually work from here. I think PhotoShop has better tools and brushes for this sort of thing than Gimp.

I don't like the destructiveness to my palette resulting from the the 256 indexed conversion at step 3. I'm wanting to use this in making projection UV textures for models from real life photos, so other methods people have would still be appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:05 am 
Rogue Leader

Hey Lancer i just remember gnomon have some free online videos on skin shading and rendering skin in maya all you need is to register its free and there video are high rez so a little big on file size but great all the same hope this helps taking the skin texture into a shader

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/ ... orials-All

Cheers
S

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:20 pm 
Jedi Master

Thanks Stephen Hawking... I've been looking into eyeballs recently and I notice your site has free tutorials on those as well! Should provide me with a nice lot of info to uplearn.

I've also noticed that PhotShop has a "match colour" specific function, which Gimp has a plug-in equivalent. Haven't played with it yet though it could well achieve what I had above, minus the destructive low-palette effect.