Post subject: Maya Mentalray car window glass shader. How?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:19 pm 
Death Star Gunner

theres lots of glass shader tutorials out there and i read most of them.

most of them are for 3dsMax. some are for mentalray for max. all the ones i find for maya are for VRay. some really nice ones are for blender.
the free downloadable ones that claim to be the best glass shader ever is just a blinn with transparency uploaded in 2006.

whats a non out dated method to make a nice mentalray car glass shader?

i realise there is presets for glass but they dont look like glass... they just look see though. any adjustments i made to sliders and what not dont really seem to make any difference to the end result.

im trying to get this kind of look

Attachments:
audi_a3_hdri0038_freesample_06.jpg
audi_a3_hdri0038_freesample_06.jpg [ 125.51 KiB | Viewed 3834 times ]

LinkedIn

Post subject: Re: Maya Mentalray car window glass shader. How?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:27 pm 

Been a while since I've tried to make a decent car render so I had to set one up to make sure I was right lol.

The key really is reflectivity falloff. Glass (and car paint for that matter) gets more reflective as it turns away from the camera/viewer. You don't need to use a mental ray shader for this, you just need a sampler info node and a ramp.

Create a dark grey > white ramp and plug a sampler info node into it, the connection being facingRatio>>uCoord (u or v doesn't matter as long as you match up the next step)
Change the ramp type to U Ramp (or v if you chose vCoord)
Then plug the ramp into the reflectivity of the blinn.

That gets most of the effect. If you want you can turn on refractions and have a very low refractive index (like 1.007 or something) and fiddle with the surface thickness, although that's not really necessary unless you're going to animate it.

My effort trying to get something good out of it lol:
Attachment:
countryRoad02.jpg
countryRoad02.jpg [ 243.7 KiB | Viewed 3828 times ]

I was surprised how many flaws I found in this model after a few years of it lying unfinished on my hard drive. Speaking of which, you'll have to excuse the lack of interior, it's just blacked out at the moment which is why the glass doesn't look particularly transparent. Probably should've thought of that lol.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:56 pm 
Death Star Gunner

woah!! thanks evoboy

that was the exact look i was looking for hehe. the black is okay i didnt want to do any more detail on the interior on my project either. could find enough reference pics of the dash and front seats. (every seat seems different must of had alot of trims)

was your car paint shader done the same way? i read in a tutorial about Fresnel effect and how its the same you mentioned about the glass shader. but the mentalray carpaint shaders cant seem to get effect. or im doing it wrong but i did manage to get that effect with a blinn. but i couldnt work out why the layer shader wasnt working for me so i switched to the car paint shader.

LinkedIn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:41 pm 

Glad I could be of service :D

The car paint is actually the MR carpaint shader, though that shader does confuse me a little and I usually still just revert to the facing ratio blinn trick because you can get the same results really, except for the metallic flaking of course. If you're going to use a blinn though you'll have to do another facing ratio on diffuse so that it gets slightly darker as it faces away too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:42 pm 
Sandtrooper

This is about as good as i have managed to get with the mia_materialx shader with a glass preset. glass is just one of them things i cant seem to get quite right myself.

Attachments:
chevyTest.jpg
chevyTest.jpg [ 65.26 KiB | Viewed 3511 times ]