Post subject: Getting the colour right
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:24 pm 
Jedi Master

I recently had someone correct me on some colour theory on a piece I'm continuing if & when I have some time to spare. This was great... I could kind of see what they were getting at. But then I recently looked at my same project on a friends monitor, and the colour problems where a LOT more prominent.

Now, I've read up on calibrating monitors etc and I thought my display was not too bad, but apparently it's far from true, and I'm thinking there's more to the picture than mere monitor calibration; the screen simply has to be a good model to start with.

I don't have a fortune to invest in monitors, but what would people recommend? If I get a monitor for running an "eye test" of my work, where should I look and what should I stay away from?

Post subject: Re: Getting the colour right
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:58 pm 
Death Star Gunner

I much prefer to work on CRTs for this reason. Laptop displays are the worst, but any cheap LCD panel is generally less accurate than good old fashioned crisp CRT colours.

It's common sense really, but light control is also very important. If you've got sunlight or yucky green fluorescent light pouring across your screen then the colours are going to look quite different to how they are actually represented within the computer. We have large blackout curtains at work for this, which succeeds in giving us all depression during winter, but also ensures more accurate colour. Using bounce light from halogen uplights is a good compromise, no direct light on the screen and less of a feeling of living in a cave.

In terms of calibration, Adobe Gamma is pretty great for PCs. It comes bundled with CS3 or lower (though in CS3 it's somewhat hidden for no good reason, but here it is)

All in all, it pays to be aware of how different your work is going to look on different monitors. Even if you do spash out on an expensive well calibrated display, the majority of people are still going to be viewing it on something less than awesome.

Sorry I don't have a solid suggestion as to an actual monitor, but hopefully my thoughts can inspire other people to chip in and "shed some light" on this important but often overlooked issue. Hah, shed some light. I crack myself up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:27 pm 
Death Star Gunner

I think that your average modern LCD gives acceptable colour. Just be aware that they're inherently inaccurate when it comes to colour and only trust the device on which the final product will be viewed, ie, if print cross your finger until you see a proof.

Either that or makers of colour-accurate monitors like Eizo and Lacie have some 'prosumer' level monitors for a couple of grand...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:40 pm 
Rogue Leader

pc and mac outputs monitor values too one is darker than the other.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:34 pm 
Jedi Master

Oh wow - somehow I missed all these replies... thanks for the input.

I mainly run Linux... wondering whether the Mac / PC difference is OS based or hardware?