Post subject: Workflow for 2D drawing animation.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:57 am 
Jedi Master

I'm curious as to whether there are workflow tricks used in making shorts like this one:

It looks just like the animators took real footage, printed the frames out, and then reworked them as traceovers. Maybe to save printing & paper, they overlaid a screen as though it was a lightbox? Perhaps even used one of those fancy Cintiq tablets (interactive screen / drawing space) to cut out the paper (and rescanning) altogether?

Often artists work on a budget, and they don't always have all the flash toys; A-ha's "Take on me" video and Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" come to mind (pencil and paper)

Anyway - really like the technique. I'm wondering if anyone has used this kind of thing and can affirm the workflows which work for them?

Post subject: Re: Workflow for 2D drawing animation.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:22 pm 
Death Star Gunner

I have tried mimicking something like this a few years ago, I found a odd unused file type called filmstrip, if you take a clip into aftereffects and export it as a .flm file type, it takes the entire clip and lays it out onto one layer that Photoshop can open, oops I just tried this again and found out CS5 adobe software doesn't do this anymore, I think I did it on cs4 hmm strange, i guess its a bit obsolete. :(

I guess you could export a frame sequence and draw over them, I remember it being neat with the filmstrip that you could scribble over all the images at once, below is an example I did, the files would be massive in Photoshop, it would create 4 gig Photoshop files even with 10 seconds of footage. You don't need to draw every frame, I would draw one column and duplicate them across, maybe tweak them a little.

Attachments:
flm_example.jpg
flm_example.jpg [ 239.29 KiB | Viewed 2141 times ]
roto_example.mp4 [332.1 KiB]
Downloaded 149 times

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:16 pm 
Jedi Master

Thanks for the reply. That tiled layout is something I wouldn't have envisioned, but makes a lot of sense. I imagine that it would be handy to be able to define an onionskin number for the pen; e.g: if ghost == 4: pendraw.frames(current : current + 4) or, in plain English; a setting of "4" would mean the current pen draws simultaneously on 4 layers from the current.

I am surprised that the files are so large (4 gig for 10 seconds). I haven't done the math though I'm assuming it's because they're using expensive image types like taga.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:07 pm 
Death Star Gunner

I misread the file size it is only 300mb but created a 4 gig temp file while working on it, the file is a single layer/single file, and I would draw on top of it, as you can see the height of the image is 27588 pixels :) its a pity you can no longer do this without using older versions of adobe suites.

Attachments:
flm_sizeExample.jpg
flm_sizeExample.jpg [ 84.4 KiB | Viewed 2135 times ]