Post subject: Help me Shorten my Render Time with an Ice Shader!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:00 pm 
Droid

Hello, this is my first post,

I need urgent help minimising Render time for an Ice 3D Text I am doing for a broadcasting company!!

I'll just fill you through the steps I took in creating this..

Firstly I Downloaded this nifty as frosty shader, applied it to the 3d Text and various objects in my scene and it looks Awesome! Needs some added frost though...

Next I duplicated and slightly enlarged the text and applied a snow texture with a splashy alpha channel on it to give the letters a more frosted appearance..

Now here is a pic of my hypershade to show the two different shaders - The left is the ice shader I download and the right is the alpha-frosty snow I put overTop

Render times are RIDICULOUSLY SLOW - about an hour and a half - 2 hours per frame and I have over 200 frames to Render!! I have been told I must minimize the time to get the job signed off - but I have a feeling that I may have to lose ALOT of detail to achieve this..

Rendering with Mental Ray at production quality - Nothing else has been tweaked! Are there any other settings I could mess with to help me half my rendering time?

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks for Looking!

Last edited by ColdCrush on Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Help me Shorten my Render Time!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:49 pm 
Administrator

Don't know much about rendering, but 'transparency' and 'raytracing' slow things down. Guess I'd start trouble shooting by trying a render with only the downloaded shader on both meshes, then render with your own shader on both meshes, see if there's a difference - you might find one shader in particular is slowing things down.

Next I'd try a render with transparency turned off for both shaders, see how much that reduces your render times.

If you can find the 'area' that is slowing things down, then you can focus your energy there to find the best settings.

Are you using any nurbs surfaces, or is it all polys?

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:36 pm 
Droid

Hey thanks for the quick reply! Not sure if they are nurbs, I imported an Illustrator file with text converted to outlines and then simply used the bevel plus to extrude the lines and make them 3d - is that nurbs or polys? Come to think of it I actually think they are polys... but I could be wrong.. How do I find out?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:33 am 
Administrator

If you right click on a mesh, a polygon object will give you some menu items like "vertex, face, edge"... but if it's a nurbs surface, you'll get some menu items like "isoparm, control vertex, surface point".

Bevel Plus can output either polys or nurbs. The default is polys.

The reason I asked is that nurbs can be quite heavy if you don't adjust their default tessellation.

Also, make sure you've deleted history on your objects (may help).

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:33 am 
Death Star Gunner

Show the attribute editor of the all your material please. I suspect you might have some glossy refractions and that stuff is most def very heavy to render.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:16 am 
Droid

Ok here is a snapshot of the attribute editor for the ice shader and the alpha texture ontop. Is this enough info?

By the way the objects are poly's - Definitely not nurbs!!