Post subject: Aspect Ratio
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:14 pm 
Jedi Master

16:9 FHA (anamorphic) or 4:3 full screen (preferably NOT letterboxed).

Okay... before I get this wrong, could anyone please like to draw up what the titlesafes etc for that would be like if I'm working from a 1024x768 monitor?

Post subject: Re: Aspect Ratio
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:47 pm 
Jedi Master

Alrighty... this is sort of a guess, but does this look right?

Attachment:
titlesafe01.gif
titlesafe01.gif [ 9.05 KiB | Viewed 2481 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:18 pm 
Not sure i get the question.

16/9 has its own title and action safes. 4/3 ditto. Course at the moment if you are working in 16/9 its usually good to respect 4/3 title and action safe to a point. Alot of people still have not upgraded to wide screen aspect. Alot is still output as wide pal which is 1024/576 course that said we have done full Hd and HD720. Both I had to observe 4/3 safe. Funny really. But i suppose its always good to keep the interesting stuff to the middle. As for the aspect.. in photoshop you can create a new image with guides. it has pal ntsc and so on with guides. action and title.

As for the computer monitor not sure what you mean..
S

Attachments:
safes.jpg
safes.jpg [ 151.69 KiB | Viewed 2364 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:45 pm 
Jedi Master

I think you do understand. You "got it" in that you correctly identified that I want to make media which could be viewed by pretty much any audience; 4:3 and 16:9... the specification format was as quoted earlier.

By "computer monitor" I mean I'm working in square pixels here. I tried saving video in 16:9 and had squashed screen distortion when I played it back; apparently a classic square pixels issue, so it's time I got out the dusty books and looked into what works on my screen versus how it's going to work on other people's viewers. For now, I'm just wanting to know the boundaries I should be working to in terms of storyboarding, and then of course for actual rendering.

So for story boarding purposes, was the image I posted of borders (titlesafe) about right? To me it "makes sense" that I should have both real borders showing, but respect the smaller (4:3) titlesafe.

EDIT: Whoah! Somehow I didn't see the image you posted until I replied... thanks heaps for that! Something solid to work from! :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:48 pm 
Work to action not title. Title is for things like. "this product may explode when heated" and so on. Maya if you are using has good guides. Title is for compositors not animators..hahaha
S