Post subject: Need help with Manipulator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:02 pm 
Jedi Apprentice

I've come across a problem I myself can't figure out whether it is a bug in Maya or just plane stupidity can any one give a helping hand.
I can get the manipulator to show up in other views only in the perspective view. Any idea's ?????? :bounce: Attached is a screen capture of what I'm seeing. appreciate the help asap

Attachments:
Manipulator help.jpg
Manipulator help.jpg [ 751.63 KiB | Viewed 3083 times ]

Post subject: Re: Need help with Manipulator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:57 pm 

its a Maya and GPU related bug. What GPU do you have? at any rate, you may need to update drivers, or even roll back. Either way its annoying. The solid manipulator problem with ATI cards is worse tho :/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:09 am 
Droid

Is it specific to this scene or it happens in general?
If in general then trash your maya prefs (useful to keep backup of working prefs and restoring that in these situations).
If it's true only for this scene you can import the whole scene into a new one or alternatively use copy/paste shortcuts if you have just a geometry and couple of other things.
If you managed to create a "fixed" scene you could save both as .ma and by a text compare command you could actually see all differences between the two files including the one that makes you the trouble.

Animation and Digital Arts MFA
http://www.tischasia.nyu.edu.sg
http://www.polyzaar.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:07 am 
Jedi Apprentice

It happens in general even when you start a new scene, tried trashing maya prefs aswell.

I wreckon its a GPU thing its a students problem on his computer and I'm not to sure what its running right now. :bounce:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:14 pm 
Jedi Master

So, you confirm that exporting the whole project to your own computer fixes the problem (but not of course for him)?

...and you're sure you selected Show >> Manipulators in the individual window menus? (The student may have turned these off).
Under the "shading" menu of the window that is working, try the option "apply current to all".

If it is GPU based and rollback / updates to drivers haven't fixed the issue, try enabling / disabling hardware drivers either in the Window manager (e.g. your graphics card settings or the display settings for your Operating System). I'm not sure where the option for "enable hardware" for Maya GUI settings (my Maya is a bit old and craps out if I have GPU acceleration enabled for my Operating System desktop, forcing me to use software drivers if I want to use Maya) but if those enable / disable hardware GUI settings are in Maya itself, it might get around any GPU issues.

Edit: My googling for this brought up some threads that suggested it is out of date graphics card drivers, but those threads are from 2004... surely such issues (and similar) would have been fixed by now?