Post subject: Backburner problems
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:14 pm 
Tusken Raider

Hey.

Im having some problems getting backburner to run as a windows service.

I can make it connect and run fine using the exe files to run it all but i need it to run as a service.

I created a new account on the network for backburner to use. changed the services to log on as this user.

I can telnet each computer through the ports and they can comunicate. For some reason when I change the server into a service it just cant connect anymore. in the log it just sits there trying to connect...

I can get the manager and server connected if it is running on the same computer as a service.

Does anyone know antyhing that could be blocking a windows service through the network but not the exe files? the ports have been opened using a general policy.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Backburner problems
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:26 pm 
Rogue Leader

hi man most of my problems have always envoled firewalls and virus scanners that will block incoming network packs for backbunner and vista the whole need to have Admin permission to do stuff drove me nuts.
So when your running it as a service im guessing vista or windows 7 your not get the admin rights as if you did if you click on it yourself. As xp didnt need have to rights or permission to run the server clients as a window service.

but with my experience running studio max for the last 5 years and been network rendering you kind need some one on site to turn the machines or rest machines and manually open the sever clients as i only got the network rendering at a 100% with all computer connected when i manually turn on the severs clients.

i guess thats why the term 'render monkey' or 'render wrangler' came about as you kinda need some person to oversee rendering process.

also i would suggest running your manger and monitor on your fast box as the manger and monitor steal a but of the cpu cycles and is less noticeable on your faster computer, its just so your can get the fastest render times. Also include maps when your about to submit it as it might take a bit long for the first image to render but once the maps have been sent to each machine, in the long runn it will save your time and render slight faster in the long run.

Also i manger to network render mental ray distribution buckets so instead of having the 2-4 buckets in mental ray(the more cpu cores, the more buckets you end up with) has i was rendering locally on one computer but had about 12+ buckets rendering for me it was pretty pimp.

Ill look into this as i found it awesome to get fast feed back without submitting it as a network job and ill get back to you if i find how to do it as it could be a alternative to network render with the manager so your only sending out info to the machines to compute a bucket.

also if you work it out ya problem as ill interested to know as back bunner always seem to have a problem with something with it a virus checkers, mixed OS's or firewalls
cheers hope this helps ya
S

Post subject: Re: Backburner problems
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:27 pm 
Tusken Raider

Hi, I do seem to have solved this problem. I think the main reason it wasn't working was because of the profile i was using for backburner. The profile only had local admin instead of network admin. With backburner is very important to run the render servers and the manager on the same profile that has full access rights to the network. I had to make sure all the services would be run as the same admin profile.
After that things seemed to be connecting fine and work, though i did have a few problems with my texture files not coming through onto the other machines, some renders were black on one machine and some were fine.

I suppose more test renders and diagnostics are in order.

Thanks