Post subject: What makes a good 3d showreel?
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:48 pm 
Tusken Raider

Just wanna know what you all know about making great showreels to become a professional 3d animator. Any tips from length of reel to types of animation you should use. e.g I've been told dialogue and acting are good things to have and maybe a scene with lifting.

Please add your thoughts and advice.

:bounce:

http://rivalanimation.blogspot.com/

Post subject: Re: What makes a good 3d showreel?
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:32 pm 
Administrator

Depends on where you want to work... and what kind of animation you want to get into. I would say, that in general if you're doing a character animation reel then you'd want a strong acting piece. And maybe a couple actions showing good weight and body mechanics. You'll find that some companies will say on their websites what they want to see in a reel. Put your best work on a reel... and only your best work. Keep it short... no more than 3mins - which is actually quite long. If you can show really great stuff in a minute then you've got a good reel.

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:04 am 
Imperial Guard

I think one of the big things is to show a piece where you obviously had to work out the timing and plausible reactions and problem solving yourself. as in create a sequence from the the ground up. A string of text book walking, running and lifting animations just show you can follow a frame by frame breakdown from a book. So yeah, creating your own scene from a movie dialogue is great - (Like worzels on in this forum) - another good reel piece I saw involved a man being chased by a bear - you knew the animator had to create this animation from scratch and research because it involved unique reactions and movements.

If an animation reel is like a modelling reel then maybe demonstrating a few different styles as well (cartoony, realistic,maybe even aftereffects type animations?) so they know you are flexible.

If you are looking to get into games maybe even create a few game characters and show all the animations that a director would ask for (a few idling, running, jumping, shooting,etc) but I guess this would have to be pretty top notch stuff to avoid the "Not another walk cycle" comment people viewing a new animation reel normally make.

If you are strong in other fields (only if you are strong, don't bring down the quality of your reel) maybe include these at the end (Drawing, modelling, zbrush, texturing, rigging - rigging is a great feather in your cap to have)..this might give you the nod over other animators for smaller companies as it proves you can still help out when there is animation downtime (Usually at the start of production when characters are still being built and rigged)

Main thing I think to demonstrate is you can create unique fantastic animations from your own research and knowledge of how things react to each other and keep it punchy and short

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:20 pm 
Rebel Commander

Hey, when you sa y 3d animator im asusming you want to be an animator. something you need to keep in mind is what worzel said. where you apply plays a huge role in your reel. if you are appying to a company that does alot of "real' work like cg replaces of human characters then you will want ot have some realistic animation. if you are applying to a studio that does mainly cartoony animation such as toy story then you will want ot aim your reel in that direction. making them see you can do something is better than hopeing they will say " well he can do this im sure he can do that" SHOW THEM! worzel is rigth again on the time. I would also keep posting to different sites to get feedback. most studios will have a daily review where your work will be reviewed. so getting in the habit of taking good and bad reviews is good. hope some of that makes sense.

www.sharplin.deviantart.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:20 pm 
Tusken Raider

Thanks for your posts. Some solid advice.

I am aiming for a career in character animation so, as Worzel said I will concentrate on acting pieces.

check out My showreel to see how I'm getting on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5khCtahGg8Y

http://rivalanimation.blogspot.com/