Post subject: Re: Speed Modelling / Animation
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:55 pm 
Administrator

Yeah, I've seen that too. I think it's a cool idea. Have a generic mesh that everyone can download. You're not allowed to edit it (adding or deleting geometry) except to subdivide and sculpt in either Zbrush or Mudbox. Then just screen grab the final image... if you can render it. Maybe one of the 'start from scratch' speed modelling submissions can become the lowres mesh for the Zbrush/Mudbox sculpt.

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:06 pm 
I'm sorry. Apart from the Zbrush stuff that sound cool. Course i need to learn this stuff so moving on.

Speed modeling.
Isn't the idea that the model is stated. Build a ??????? then you post what you built and how long it took you. The submissions can be over a week but it may take someone less or more time to create a superior or shit product. Why would time imits be in place for speed modeling? If fast for me is two days and I submit my bling two day model, who gives a rats patooty. Obviously two days defeats the speed modeling challenge. Time frames suck. and to preclude people because they are slow or analy rententive modelers would suck too. Speed is relative. Give every one a go.
F

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:34 pm 
Administrator

Come now FILTERED, aren't you the pusher of 'get it done fast'? Short deadlines, highest quality hack? You live in advertising! If you had a choice between hiring someone fast and someone slow who both model to the same quality, you'll pick the faster one (as long as he's not a moron). You have to be better AND faster. The amount of money spent on jobs is not getting higher, it's getting lower. Why do you think companies are opening branches in China? The faster stuff gets done, the better.

Just another little insight - this is a test by a games studio in the UK. It tests job candidates by giving them a brief to fulfill. A simple scenario is given and the subject has to do the following:
- draw the scene (in pencil) in ONE HOUR.
- Model the appropriate parts of the scene in 5 HOURS.
- Texture the most relevant parts in 2 HOURS.

They say Disney is also using this concept for selecting employees. And I also know a guy from the UK who does this sort of thing with his own company, although I don't know what time limits he puts on people.

'Time' I would say, is of great importance. If you can model fast and well, then you stand a better chance. Speed modelling... great practice I would say.

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:47 pm 
Apart from the inappropriate name drop you have some valid points. I still think one mans speed is another's perfection. Judged on the basis of speed modeling then anything over a certain period would be out. I understand that obviously. So for someone who wants to do the best in a more realistic time requires a different competition? Personally I think everyone should have 1 hour to model something. 30 mins to texture light 20 to render and ten to post.
F

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:04 pm 
Rogue Leader

F, I'm confused. Are you contradicting yourself or I'm reading you wrong?

Speed model is 'model this in this timeframe and post?'' Isnt it? I'm pretty sure thats what Roger says, and your second post says, but not so sure about your first? :?

Anyway if someone says you have 2 hours to model an oven, I'm gonna say COOL and submit one I modelled in 2, good, bad or average. And I assume people my have a week to submit one, but still only 2 hours to model it....am I right Rog?

PS is it wrong that I kind of want to do that test!? hehe...oo I love those kind of challenges...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:19 pm 
I give up.
.maybe I just hate rules. Deadlines I can handle.
Moving on.
F

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:28 pm 
Administrator

filtered wrote:
So for someone who wants to do the best in a more realistic time requires a different competition?

BINGO! That's what the regular (non speed) comps will be for. And I'm sure Laz will run a couple of "speed" comps with longer time frames, just for variety. ;)

** Oh, and filtered, I edited the "name drop". :mrgreen:

Feron Animation
Linked In