Post subject: New Posts icon
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:16 pm 
Jedi Master

On a number of other forums, the "new post" goes off once section has been visited or even if a section has not been updated since last time logging on.
On NZCGI, I often see "New Post" icon where no one has updated the threads since last time I was here. Looks like I'd have to visit all the other new threads I didn't wanted into last time in order to dim the icon.
...is it possible to make that yellow "N" mean "since you last visited"?

Post subject: Re: New Posts icon
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:36 pm 
Death Star Gunner

Not a direct answer to your question but the way I use the forum is have my bookmark set to View new posts which is the link up the top right of the threads. So every time i visit the site i see all threads with a new post in a list, and I just open them all in tabs.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:14 pm 
Jedi Master

Thanks. Even this does not work the way I am after... when I clicked "view new posts", I got a shortened list of topics. I clicked one which I had been following, only to find that it had not been updated since last time I'd read it.

No worries, seriously... probably one of those things that's as much which flavour of forum being run as it could be options and such. Not mission critical.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:23 pm 
Death Star Gunner

Make sure that you have cookies enabled, because when you read a topic the new posts icon does go away, unless there is an update.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:02 pm 
Jedi Master

I'm thinking the yellow "N" does go away on the individual topic (not sure that it does this always though... I'll get back if I really notice it playing up), but it should also go away from the main subdirectory containing the thread. At the moment it seems like I'd have to visit every individual thread in "suggestions" before the suggestions parent folder recognises I've already been in there, or that nothing in there is new since my last visit.

[Edit]
Example:
"Competitions" has a big yellow "N" next to it.
Inside "Competitions" there is "Speed Competitions" with another yellow "N"
Inside "Speed Competitions", nothing new has been posted. There is one thread with an "N" next to it but that thread was updated Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:42 pm... ages ago. The forum should drop that entry when I exit, without me having to individually visit that particular thread.
Otherwise, it's like three click-throughs hoping to see who had won the last competition and there were no updates as the yellow "N" seemed to indicate.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:36 pm 
Administrator

I don't have an option for what you want, but at any level of forum browsing you should see a 'Mark Topics Read' button at the top right. This will remove all the yellow 'n' symbols from that particular forum page as though you have read them all.

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:43 pm 
Jedi Master

Worzel wrote:
I don't have an option for what you want.

Of course... that's what I was asking. Sweet... and hitting that link you pointed out in the main foyer is like a big yellow "reset" button. :D Good as. Thanks.