Post subject: Re: something abt url
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:52 pm 
Administrator

Jerry wrote:
what about making the banner a button to take you back tot he board index? it's pretty annoying having to dig around all the orange text to find the lil' 'Board Index' words

The updated site (in a few weeks) will have the banner as a link back to the board index. I agree it can be annoying navigating through the links to get back. By the way... currently if you hover your cursor over the far left end of the banner, near the edge of the window, it'll change into a 'hand' icon... there is a hidden link there back to the board index... but that'll disappear when the site gets updated. :D

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:48 pm 
Death Star Gunner

Athor wrote:
i vote for opening in a new window, as this is the way most forums and webpages are so im used to it. And my middle mouse button doesnt work properly :roll:

Then how do you use Maya? Middle mouse is so important...get a new mouse :D

My $0.02...open in a new page...I'm a tab whore, give me tabs! :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:47 am 
OK
I just noticed this thread.
maybe you could have a most popular thread tag. Last visited thread. My favourites. Watch this thread (assume already there). It woud be nice if yous fullas took the reigns a bit more re competitions and so on. Personaly to exapand the deadline on anything means (to me) the work you had was shit or what you had wasnt what you wanted and then why bother then. Do it your self. I'm sorry to be so hard but only f**king loosers ask for an extension. If you know what i mean. Shifting goalposts is building in a precident that means a deadline is based on consumer pleading. Not a good way to run things. Look at the stupid name they ended up with for the new McDonalds kiwi burger.

I also like the idea of community projects. So maybe modeling challenge where its a community project. Model and pass it on. I think maybe this site needs to get a little more proactive. I have been off for a few days attending to some personal business and although the shit has piled high its not as much as it could be. There need to be a buzz on this site. Challenge... Some kind of differential. I look on this site as a way of killing time. I believe that to be a shame, this site should challenge me. Wake me up. More Images on homepage! Show what talents hide within. Push and become something bigger. Where are links to other reputable sites. Trade links. Find friends. open up and face the sun. Although there are some educational links in user posts I think the links need to be found before they are told. A forum takes you only so far.

Post and post shit.
Everything posted is another step closer to something better than the last. Personally I can't stand posting. Exposing yourself to this kind of community. Alas this is the world we live in and i must. I work in an industry where most of the things i do you will change the channel not to watch. I dont do big budget film. I crash hard on the beach of advertising wave after a wave of finding my feet on the turbulent seas of... you guessed it advertising! I am in love with maya. as a software it is annoying and somewhat restrictive. Hellooooooooo!!!!! Fuucks sakes. Its software.

Sorry for the rant. I feel a litte better now.
Love the site RDOG!
F

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:09 am 
Tusken Raider

"So maybe modeling challenge where its a community project. Model and pass it on"
This would be fun

and good man - i like your rants the most

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:21 am 
Administrator

Hey filtered... lovely rant ;) Just to address a few of those issues....

Quote:
to exapand the deadline on anything means (to me) the work you had was shit or what you had wasnt what you wanted and then why bother then. Do it your self.

Precisely... well, almost. The 'header comp' deadline was extended because the entries were not complete, but there were definitely designs there that I "wanted"... so that's why I "bothered". And you can clearly see the result of me "doing it myself" :D

Quote:
I'm sorry to be so hard but only f**king loosers ask for an extension.

Just on behalf of those who did ask for extensions, they have jobs taking up most of their time. I am greatly in their debt that they would spend their spare time and use their talents to help improve this site, for NO compensation.

Quote:
Shifting goalposts is building in a precident that means a deadline is based on consumer pleading.

You right, and this forum is based on consumer pleading... it exists only because the consumer wanted it. Without consumers... there is no forum. I think if I were to run a competition with a 4week deadline, and the members of this community complained that 4 weeks is just not enough time, then it would be in the forums best interests to make changes based on that feedback... otherwise the very members of this community will not participate... and the forum will die. And death of a forum, as most of us know, is not a nice thing... it leaves us feeling abandoned... until another one comes along! :mrgreen:

Quote:
I also like the idea of community projects. There need to be a buzz on this site. Challenge... Some kind of differential.

Good points, and definitely things we've alread considered. Currently this forum is only a month old and the user numbers need to be higher before I introduce any community projects or competitions. You will notice that many of our current members require a fair amount of time to complete their own projects because of personal or work commitments. Many projects never get finished... even after months of tinkering. One thing I learnt from nz3d, was that small communities, especially those with many working artists, can get nowhere quickly when trying to run a competition. People are busy, at different times.

The main purpose of this forum is to make people aware of other artists in New Zealand and for us to help each other improve. It gives us all a common area to come together and share something we're either proud of, or want to improve upon. This is a site to "find friends"... and make more. And the users that wish to "show what talents lie within" are certainly already doing so without any prompting from me! 8-)

Quote:
I look on this site as a way of killing time.

Most people surf the net to kill time... but I would like to think the majority of interactive members (those who post) are here seeking that sense of community and actually wanting to see something grow which they themselves helped to build. That... and fame.

As mentioned in other posts, I do have plans for this forum... but they will take time to put into motion. Like many people here, I have a job in this time consuming industry and a personal life to maintain. I have confidence that things will progress as planned and eventually this site will become something that most people will be happy with... but you just can't please everyone! ;)

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:45 pm 
Sandtrooper

AWESOME :twisted:

what happen to the real question of URL!!! FINE i got myself a new mouse, with a scroll roll and ball. But still not happy with URL opening in same page.

Never hold ur FARTS in.They travel up ur spine, into ur brain, and that is where SHITTY IDEAS come from!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:52 pm 
Lovely.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:59 pm 
Death Star Gunner

filtered wrote:
maybe you could have a most popular thread tag. Last visited thread. My favourites.

There are features like that already in the forum - at the top of the page there are links to View unanswered posts, View active topics, and View new posts. Whenever I log onto the site i just hit the view new posts button and it shows all the posts made since my last visit.