Forum rules

Please attach an image to your first post so that a thumbnail is generated in the list of topics.

Post subject: A couple of my guitar
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:35 pm 
Imperial Guard

I'm kind of happy with how these came out due to the horrible condition. I have stuff everywhere, only place I really had to photograph was by propping the guitar up on it's stand on top of my bed! Massive over exposure from the window (with curtains shut), lack of light from the chest of drawers in front of it. Maybe if I was less lazy and re-arranged they'd of been better, but in the end, I kind of liked the pattern on the curtain, in a way I think it complimented it... maybe. Couldn't do much about the halo, may have to go back in though. Actually it was more of a stylistic choice, but someone pointed it out, so I suppose it wasn't working; was trying to make the guitar pop out and have the halo resemble extra light coming through the curtain or something, obviously a fail :P

Would love some critique (not that I don't get plenty of that already!), anything I know about photography is thanks to what Revilo is teaching us in school, been at it for four days now. Never done any prior to this with the exception of aleks' class.

Mainly just wanted to share :)

Thanks for looking.

Attachments:
my_guitar2_fornzcgi.jpg
my_guitar2_fornzcgi.jpg [ 863.51 KiB | Viewed 3795 times ]
my_guitar_fornzcgi.jpg
my_guitar_fornzcgi.jpg [ 896.46 KiB | Viewed 3795 times ]

Post subject: Re: A couple of my guitar
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:53 pm 
Imperial Guard

I suppose this might as well be my photodump :)

Attachment:
berries_small.jpg
berries_small.jpg [ 225.37 KiB | Viewed 3774 times ]

Attachment:
mount_hobson_small.jpg
mount_hobson_small.jpg [ 277.1 KiB | Viewed 3774 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:18 am 

Hey Jared, good to see you're wanting to learn :thumbsup:

I quite like the 'halo' effect in the first image, though I think it would work better if the guitar itself was more coolly lit or merely less saturated. Had a quick look at the meta data and I see your exposure time/shutter speed was 1/4 sec, that's where the blurriness comes from. Your ISO was at 100, which I would imagine was the lowest setting, so you could comfortably lift that a few steps to allow for a faster shutter.

The second image screams of on-camera flash. This usually gives the image a more snap-shot-like appearance and generally flattens it too. If you don't have an off-camera flash available you could try using a piece of white card, place it in front of the flash and angle it toward the ceiling to hopefully use the ceiling as a giant softbox. You may have to up the intensity of the flash for this, most DSLR's have this option, though I'm not sure where it is on a 1000D.

For your third image, I would recommend moving in a LOT closer, just focus on a small cluster of the leaves and fruit as that's really what's interesting about the subject. If you're a fan of automatic modes, stick your camera in Aperture Priority mode and set it to the lowest number (widest aperture) and let the camera do the rest, a wide aperture creates a shallow depth of field (blurs out the background). This will hopefully allow you to achieve something not too dissimilar to this: link. Have a play around, aperture blur is where it's at ;)

Finally, and I don't have much to say about this one, the bench/rangitoto shot is nice and inviting, the warm tones help this along nicely.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:59 pm 
Imperial Guard

I haven't had a thorough look around here for quite a while and didn't realize I had a response, so sorry if I seemed rude for not replying!

Hope I've improved a lot since I took those, I think I didn't even have my own camera back then. I did away with that guitar quite a while ago too! Replaced playing guitar with photography ;)

Hm I've never used the on camera flash before, so that wouldn't be the case.

Only shoot in full manual since that's how we were taught at school.

Cheers mate :) Quick response since this thread's quite dated.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:11 pm 

Heh, no worries dude. Feel free to post up something more recent to show us how far you've come :dance:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:07 pm 
Imperial Guard

Sounds good, got nothing all that recent, but going to do some more photography on Saturday :) Hopefully get a couple of good ones to show off.

I did take one I really liked, when I first got my camera and lens, but with the level of necessary zoom and no tripod = blurry photo. Thankfully I've got a tripod now. Tempted to go back to the same spot and hope... First picture is the one I'm talking about (you'll notice the blur, trust me :( )

Will also post up some other ones I've taken since I got into photography, but all are still quite old.

Attachment:
birdsInMotion.jpg
birdsInMotion.jpg [ 196.81 KiB | Viewed 3638 times ]

Attachment:
train_couple_small.jpg
train_couple_small.jpg [ 540.89 KiB | Viewed 3638 times ]

Attachment:
old_train_small1.jpg
old_train_small1.jpg [ 258.92 KiB | Viewed 3638 times ]

Attachment:
skyfire.jpg
skyfire.jpg [ 154.37 KiB | Viewed 3638 times ]