Forum rules

Please attach an image to your first post so that a thumbnail is generated in the list of topics.

Post subject: randoms
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:53 pm 
Rebel Commander

Hey people. First of I am far from a photographer so dont expect much. I was just walking out on the farm and I thought id take some photos. so here are some

www.sharplin.deviantart.com

Post subject: Re: randoms
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:35 pm 
Bounty Hunter

awesome pic of path. i love that composition i can never get enough of paths disappear into the horizon.

you wear the tight black tshirt you pick up the camera you press the button - you're a photographer. don't pre-depreciate your stuff man your pics are cool. if work is shit people can see for themselves.

good to see none-car stuffs from you! =)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:51 pm 
Administrator

Nice photos. I bet Sharpo is just dying to comp a car into that path photo! :D

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:03 am 
Rebel Commander

yes. yes that would be rather nice. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:26 pm 

Ah yes, i take it the new camera's going well then?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:17 am 
Rebel Commander

its not bad aye. not like your space telescope super thingy one tho haha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:42 pm 
Rebel Commander

this morning sun. I need help. maybe its a stupid question but is there a simple way to explain ISO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:50 pm 

ISO originally (in film camera days) meant how much the light effected the film, so the higher the number the more sensitive the film is. So a higher ISO means that you can use a faster shutter speed (sports/fast action) and still have a bright image, while a lower ISO is better for slower shutter speeds (light trails from cars, velvety look on water, etc). Generally what happens with a lot of cheaper cameras though is the higher the ISO is the more grainy the image becomes, so 400 on a shitty camera is going to make the image look like arse while a good camera can take 800+ and look perfect. Yours should be all good though, just play around with it and see what happens :)

Also, I'm not really an expert on these matters so hopefully I'm not too far off ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:24 am 
Dark Lord of the Sith

Evoboy has pretty much summed it up - On a digital camera or digital SLR consider it as an electronic gain. On film its the sensitivity of the film to light. Ill rant on and also mention how you can work with and deal with it.

If it is clean noiseless images your after lower the iso. Everything has its price in photography though and what you will find with lower iso is slower shutters (as already mentioned). This can create beautiful effects like trails and soft water, but also introduce blur from handshake. This is one of the reasons an slr will cream a point and shoot as the noise higher iso introduces is much lower - allowing you to shoot in lower light handheld as higher isos are not such a problem, and low iso shots are exceptionally clean.

Also changing lens on slrs lets you shoot more low iso shots if it has a big aperture (think big hole) that allows more light in and generates an exposure faster... noted by the f value. Lower is better for more light. On a bright sunny day I have had shutter speeds of 1/8000 sec with a f1.8 lens and a workable iso. You will not see any handshake there! You will also stop subject matter dead still! Attached pic is a water fall example I shot at this speed. Average picture but great techincal example. You could see no evidence of this phenomenon with your naked eye.

If your really after taking nice photos with a non SLR camera your best bet is put the thing in full manual (subject permitting). Take your time. Use a tripod and meter a good exposure using the best settings possible - shutter speed being your way of defining exposure instead of iso or aperture so you can use the best suited f value and lowest iso for your sharpest and cleanest picture possible (wide open lens and low f's can often make a lens blurry than more conservative settings - check a review on your camera to find the sweet spots of your lens).

Also use the timer to fire the shot (button press can move the camera), turn off IS (so they say) and any in camera processing like noise reduction or sharpening and use tools on the PC for this. eg neatimage ftw! Example of a test I did little while ago at the difference manual intervetion can do.

Wow ok thats my random rant done... haha. Keep snapping :) Its a fairly easy disipline to technically master and lets ya just go out and work on shooting great shots without scratching your head what buttons to press!

Attachments:
2573381516_c03f9e4f54.jpg
2573381516_c03f9e4f54.jpg [ 129.64 KiB | Viewed 4200 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:44 am 
Rebel Commander

wow thanks for the coments guys. definatly helps. ill have a play. cheers

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:57 pm 

heh, glad I wasn't too far off. Nice work on the enlightening rant there Revilo :D I might come to you with some questions at a later date ;)