Forum rules

Please attach an image to your first post so that a thumbnail is generated in the list of topics.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: i wanna create an epic piece of art
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:14 pm 

Some good words there Rusty, and very nice of you to spend that much time on this for him.

As you rightly say, there's nothing else for it than spending the time and learning some good basics, and as you say, be ready for it to take a while. That's probably why I've been procrastinating so much... (well, no, I'm just like that, lol)

Good work on the paintover dude, great anatomy :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:28 pm 
Jedi Master

that is truly awesome!!!!!!! thanks rusty you'll see me there when i have some free time from MDS homework and thank you for sending on so long on a paint over for me too much appreciated and already it's way better than mine :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:01 am 
Imperial Guard

Now THATS a paintover:)

2 big things to take from that,

1 how rusty creates an image without line work but creates shapes and form. (Starting off with line work is ok i believe (i.e a scanned in pencil sketch) and i've seen styles that do incorporate it (i.e. comic book styles) but 'painting' a scene requires a diff approach. Rabid and myself need to get away from trying to define an image by linework (and color in between the lines)and instead create shape and form and understand how different materials respond to light and the environment around them.

2 As Rusty mentioned - Not drawing from your head and instead understand and research/reference anatomy and lighting and how things actually look (How skin reacts to light, how a birds wing look etc)

So next speed painting Rabid - just want to see shape and form blocked out on figures and environment, and it all reacting to the lightsource/s the correct way (and I'll try do the same). Don't worry about it not looking finished

great stuff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:09 am 

Nicely thought out Matt. And remember, you're not limited to one entry per person in the speed painting forum, so you can really use it as a practising grounds even if you just do the same image again and again (if you have the time of course ;))

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:22 am 
Jedi Master

thanks for the awesome feedback guys well seeing as i'm in familiar territory modeling an organic head i should be able to finish the model.... hopefully to Ingrids standard and have time for some painting :D

so should i continue with what i got nor or should i start it over again?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:57 am 
Imperial Guard

I'd say start over again. Basically fixing it would require a complete paintover and you would find your self taking shortcuts using the old image rather than building it correctly from scratch. Concentrate on the anatomy (reference!) and lighting (reference!)

learn from each image and use what you've learn't into your next image - lay a solid foundation as you build it up. As you said in another post, try out Wikz's method in his video.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:50 pm 
Jedi Master

cool thanks will do :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6