Forum rules

Please attach an image to your first post so that a thumbnail is generated in the list of topics.

Post subject: Venom _ Digital Painting WIP
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:41 pm 
Ewok

Hello everyone, just sharing some work in progress of my latest digital painting. It is Eddie Brock, a character from Spider man in the process of becoming Venom by merging with the alien Symbiote. In comparison to the last digital painting I did, I've gone for a simpler composition, and I wanted the main focus to be on the desperation and pain of the transformation as the symbiote takes over.

Any feedback is welcome, at this stage I'm going through and colouring more of the elements of the face as I take a break from the skin. I'm pretty happy with the way the skin is coming along though I think it may be looking a bit too "shiny" in some parts, due to the intense highlights, so I may tone it down somewhat later.

The wip shows the original sketch on paper, the digital line art and the latest digital painting.

Attachments:
WIP_1.jpg
WIP_1.jpg [ 875.14 KiB | Viewed 5024 times ]

Post subject: Re: Venom _ Digital Painting WIP
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:15 pm 
Rogue Leader

just one major thing that stands out is the pose of his right forearm. It looks like its made of rubber, like it doesnt have any bones.

Quick doodle of what your bone is doing, and then how the bone should be placed (forgive the roughness using a mouse).

Attachments:
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg [ 254.23 KiB | Viewed 5020 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:19 pm 
Ewok

Thanks for the feedback !

The bent arm was actually intentional, with the intention being on pushing the pose, not only showcase the struggle being put on by the symbiote, but also to test out whether it made the overall image more appealing as I tried to follow a real strong gesture line for the pose. I actually was thinking earlier today that the arm may be too much, and I was thinking of having the skin start to tear apart as though his muscles and bones are breaking.

Now that you've brought it up, I think I may have a go at having his arm start to break, I think it'll add to the intensity. Cheers :smile:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:52 pm 
Rogue Leader

Raf wrote:
Thanks for the feedback !

The bent arm was actually intentional, with the intention being on pushing the pose, not only showcase the struggle being put on by the symbiote, but also to test out whether it made the overall image more appealing as I tried to follow a real strong gesture line for the pose. I actually was thinking earlier today that the arm may be too much, and I was thinking of having the skin start to tear apart as though his muscles and bones are breaking.

Now that you've brought it up, I think I may have a go at having his arm start to break, I think it'll add to the intensity. Cheers :smile:

No problem. But always remember pushing the pose and having a strong gesture line is about the silhouette and shape of you forms. Its not about breaking human anatomy to follow the invisible lines, that defeats the purpose.
Here's an example of the gesture line curving up with the arm, but notice the two parts of the arm are still correct in form.

Attachment:
IMG_2116 copy.jpg
IMG_2116 copy.jpg [ 57.76 KiB | Viewed 5017 times ]

Personally if I was painting the piece i would not break the arm, just correct it. At the moment there is a nice feel of the suit slowly consuming him starting from the bottom (screen)right. His hand is stretched into the air not yet being consumed by the suit so it provides contrast and direction for the transformation. If you break his arm you lose that, as his entire body is being consumed at the same time, you lose the drama that the contrast that suit/no suit gives you

just something to think about, Hope it helps

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:45 pm 
Ewok

Awesome feedback, cheers for taking the time out to help me improve :smile:

Cheers for the advice on pushing the pose, I will definitely keep it in mind when working in the future. I think have confused it with pushing the pose in an animation sense, in which you could get away with breaking anatomy for a few frames. But you're spot on with the example you provided.

I actually spent some time playing with a broken arm to see how it would look, and then I saw the feedback you left and changed it. The idea of the suit consuming him from the bottom to create the dark contrast between the bottom and the bleak top was on from the get go and I agree I would lose some of that if a strong part of the pain he is feeling is starting from the top with broken arm. I rushed into that change, so I will continue working with creating the strongest possible contrast in the drama of the piece as I go.

Latest WIP with the arm fixed and updates on all the elements of the face. Any feedback on how those are coming along will be awesome :grin:

Attachments:
WIP_2.jpg
WIP_2.jpg [ 352.26 KiB | Viewed 5011 times ]
File comment: What the broken arm looked like, before I stopped working on it.
WIP_broken arm.jpg
WIP_broken arm.jpg [ 35.38 KiB | Viewed 5011 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:07 pm 
Administrator

Just comparing to some body builder pics online, I don't think that's how the right bicep should feed into the shoulder. Might need to check that area again.

Good start though!

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:55 pm 
Sandtrooper

you need to make sure every muscle is going some where. They over lap a lot. you need to take a bit more time with studying anatomy, it does look like you're understanding of it is decent though.
i did a terrible 5 minute paint over but you get the idea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:40 am 
Ewok

Thank you for the feedback on anatomy guys !

The shoulder area feels a lot better for me now, using the reference of the muscles you provided and also taking a reference picture of myself to work off. I only wish I'd done it from the beginning, but I'm definitely guilty of not paying enough attention to the anatomy. I'll definitely spend more time learning anatomy post this digital painting, especially after how much the feedback has helped me push this piece.

Thank you for the paint over as well, it helped me get on the right track a lot quicker.

Latest WIP, with the fixed shoulder and initial work on the symbiote. I intend to revisit the anatomy of the forearms since I feel I can still do some work to improve those areas for realism. Cheers :smile:

Attachments:
File comment: Fixed shoulder and torso area.
WIP_3_Shoulder Fix.jpg
WIP_3_Shoulder Fix.jpg [ 117.93 KiB | Viewed 4982 times ]
File comment: Initial work on the symbiote.
WIP_3_symbiote.jpg
WIP_3_symbiote.jpg [ 177.19 KiB | Viewed 4982 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:11 pm 
Ewok

Ho hi !

If you break his jaw and his hand pull it, you have to deform his chick too, i think. Or I don't understand what does he do with his hand :/

And you have a problem with his trunk.
His right arm can't be in front of and behind, you have to make a choice and not in the same "view" ^^

Well, like this :
(big dorsal is the orange thing next to big oblique, not very clean, sorry)

I hope i helped you :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:52 am 
Ewok

Thanks for the feedback Noumenie !

Unfortunately, I deemed this piece finished already before I saw the feedback you left :sad: I still appreciate the feedback and it just reinforces the idea that I need to pay a lot more attention to anatomy next time around, especially when drawing such a muscular character.

And I agree, deformation to the cheek area would have added more realism to the piece, but I guess this time I'll get away with it being hidden behind the black goo. :p

But thanks to everyone for the feedback nonetheless. It's appreciated and I'm just here sharing how the final piece turned out. Cheers.

Attachments:
FINAL2.jpg
FINAL2.jpg [ 621.22 KiB | Viewed 4961 times ]