Forum rules

Please attach an image to your first post so that a thumbnail is generated in the list of topics.

Post subject: Workmate Tattoo Design
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:50 pm 
Bounty Hunter

So a girl at work was gonna tattoo some random image of a butterfly off the net on her tramp stamp. I slapped her and said ild try design something for her.

Came up with one concept... which i didn't like but she did and concluded that I could design her a better tattoo than what she can find off the net.
Attachment:
krista-tattoo.jpg
krista-tattoo.jpg [ 174.08 KiB | Viewed 5631 times ]

I gave up and she latter came back at me saying she didn't want a tramp stamp tattoo anymore and instead wanted something else, on her side.

So i designed and roughed out a new one, showed it to her, she liked it, it wasn't working, i was gonna get rid of it, she insisted, i didn't and after many revisions and drama ended up with this.
Attachment:
krista tattoo3d.jpg
krista tattoo3d.jpg [ 50.34 KiB | Viewed 5860 times ]

Attachment:
krista tat 002.JPG
krista tat 002.JPG [ 48.44 KiB | Viewed 5972 times ]

Now, i don't like this one, because the patterns on the wings are hard to see as well as its too busy. Needs less koru's patterns and a more consistent size. She was insistent i keep this design (what she saw of the roughed out concepts) and when i finally completed the above image and asked for her opinion she said,
"It looks rigid and square. It doesn't flow like your last design. It looks flat."

Shes at home sick and so now I'm raging about what she meant because it doesn't look much different from the roughed out designs and i stayed up all night working on it. Blah!

I'm thinking of going back to the drawing board and conceptualizing a few designs, settling on something I like rather trying to make this work... or maybe I'm just not good at designing tattoos?

At any rate my first design got a few of my girlfriends friends wanting me to design them tattoos... and then my girlfriend wants me to design us one.... grrrr.... anyone got any ideas for a design that maybe related to abortion, dragonfly, Gemini, astrology or symbolism for a great distance between two people?

Last edited by BeeNeeGuy on Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Workmate Tattoo Design
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:02 pm 

I have to say, I much prefer the second over the first. The "square" she is referring too might be the flow of the curves, unsymmetrical etc (which all depends on design).

One thing about tattoo design. The person has to be really happy with it, remember its a piece of art that will be with them for a long time. Which also goes to say, it is an honor to have your art tattoo'ed onto someone, who hopefully will wear it proudly for all to see! depending on where the tattoo is of course :P~

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:39 pm 
Rebel Commander

i like the second one but i keep thinking something is written in it

www.sharplin.deviantart.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:29 pm 

Sharpo wrote:
i like the second one but i keep thinking something is written in it

I was exactly the same, I was staring at it for a few seconds trying to find it, then I figured either I sucked or there wasn't one there, or both... Image

But I have to say I like the first one better, just seems a lot more simple and flowing, but obviously that's just my personal taste.

Awesome to see something coming from your neck of the woods though BeanMan, definitely keen to see more Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:53 pm 
Bounty Hunter

Chur guys :D

Nah yeah she wanted her initials in there... as well as something else which i wont mention because then i do everyone will be like 'ohhhhh theres THAT in there. i never saw it before you mentioned it.' and that would mean fail.

Tried some progress. Thought ild show you guys before her. lol.

Attachment:
krista tattoo3em.jpg
krista tattoo3em.jpg [ 59.04 KiB | Viewed 5870 times ]

I tried reworking the patterns to flow better as well as reduced the size of the... bug.

Am i moving away from the goal?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:04 am 

It definitely does flow a lot better, though I'm not entirely sure about the top ridge area of the wings, seems a little haphazard and slightly goat-horn-like (cos I'm like that...) I do like the new 'bug' bit too, though it does change the 'feeling' of the image quite a bit, takes it from a kind of intriguing Celtic look to a bit more playful, if that makes sense at all... I do have a tendency to only makes sense to myself sometimes :?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:25 am 

Hey Beenee, looking cool.

I'd say the problem is density - the outline of your image is really close to what you sketched - but your sketch has light sketchy patches and your final is all heavy blocks. The shapes seem to be thicker and more solid towards the top overbalancing the piece.
I'd work of thinning down some of those upper areas to try and get it more graceful, light and butterfly like.

maybe break some of the thicker blocks up into several lines or into another pattern.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:27 am 

I'd also say the K K is really forced. it doesn't sit well with the rest of it

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:01 am 
Death Star Gunner

Yeah i would say the KK neds to be more subdued like the nz map is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:05 pm 
Bounty Hunter

Yeah im getting lost.

Attachment:
krista tattoo3en.jpg
krista tattoo3en.jpg [ 132.55 KiB | Viewed 5762 times ]

Think i might give up. I'm now unemployed again so pleasing fellow workmates has lost its appeal...

NO!? i wont.... ill try smear more of the desiccated butterfly around the page until something even more hideously bad comes about!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:46 am 
Ewok

I guess what matters is the overall flow of the lines. Maybe it would be a good idea to forget about the detailed parts just for the moment since the work itself is a development. In my opinion, the first stencil has more appearing look. It contains more of freely expressed line-works and the lines themselves have reasonable thickness to hold the shape from the distance. It could mean the bare-skin does matter for what would be with the person - herself. The recent attempts might have more of your urge to fill-up the canvas a little too much.

I like the base-composition what is there already. Don't get me wrong. By the way, am I crazy or did you add numbers and initials there on the wings? Anyhow, I hope this won't distract you from what you are going to go for.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:25 am 
Bounty Hunter

Different workmate, similar tattoo. While being a different tattoo, its a butterfly, and i finished it. So yus, chapter closed.

Attachments:
tattoo014_001.jpg
tattoo014_001.jpg [ 173.71 KiB | Viewed 5513 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:30 pm 

Chur brah. Some underlying american theme?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:47 pm 
Bounty Hunter

Nah lol. I messed up, it was actually suppose to be candy cane. So like, butterfly, blue rose and it withering away into sweetness. Im working on it, she wants GREEN in the picture so i dont know what i can do. But i realized, once i had started colouring it, it had a strong american theme, but regardless, i still like it as a picture.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:38 pm 

You could make the flower green, cos I think it's the blue along with the stripes that gives it the Americanism. 'course, now that America's thrown it's flag around in every crevasse of the world, it's hard not to associate red and white stripes with their patriotism. Just make it drip with honey. There. Problem solved. :P