Post subject: BEST CG EDUCATION IN NZ
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:39 pm 
Ewok

Just wanted to get the word out about whats up at Lifeway College - the top CG education provider in NZ (I would say that though I'm kind of involved at Lifeway :D )

They are not known as well as others and they are not the biggest (yet) but they really are turning out people with some pretty impressive work (Revilo3D who did this sites header design (and alot of other cool stuff) is an early graduate of the school) The course is two years long and gives students opportunity in many different disciplines of CG - lifedrawing, traditional animation, matte painting, editing compositing and special effects (in After Effects and Premier) and then all aspects of 3D in Maya (modelling, animation texturing, lighting & rendering) In year two students develop thier own character on paper then sculpt in clay and model and sculpt in Zbrush and Maya. They cover advanced character rigging and MEL then character animation, dynamic etc. and some high end rendering in Mental Ray. Each student ends with 3D compositing and post production for thier own showreel. (Check out http://youtube.com/results?search_query ... arch_type= to see some of the projects thus far)

Its a pretty tidy program and students (most of whom live onsite (read *in the lab* - open 24 hrs most of the time)) are pushed to come up with some cool stuff - the facilities are good (recently done up) - and students get access to a 150 node renderfarm as well as some cool people - to name a few (so far) Tim Johnston, Director of Dreamworks Animation (Antz, Over the Hedge....) Tony Bancroft (Director of Disney's Mulan, Supervising Animator for Pumba on Lion King)....

Anyway point is - before you choose a school to go to JUST GO AND CHECK IT OUT FOR YOURSELF (NOT JUST ON THE WEB ACTUALLY GET UP THERE) even if you decide on someplace else you really should have a look - the *cough* long drive up to Snells Beach is worth it.

Freefall

Post subject: Re: BEST CG EDUCATION IN NZ
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:31 pm 
Tusken Raider

Sounds really good I like the sound of a 150 node render farm. Is that the place where they prefer you to be Catholic or Religious? Or is that some wild rumour thats been flowing around the circles of 3d where one time someone said they like people who are prodigious and it got mixed up along the way?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:52 pm 
Droid

Hey Jono,

Nice to see some new work there! Any new stars like Ollie or Corey was? World is small eh?

Emil

Animation and Digital Arts MFA
http://www.tischasia.nyu.edu.sg
http://www.polyzaar.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:31 pm 
Administrator

Hey freefall, welcome to NZCGI! That's pretty cool having Tim Johnson in contact with the students, I got to see his talk at AnimFX in Wellington last year. That was pretty cool. How often is he at Lifeway?

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:08 am 
Ewok

Hi surly_lemur

Yeah renderfarm is cool it will be good to see what students can come up with this time round with that kind of horse power (first time with the farm)

Yeah good question - there seems to be the thinking out there that you have to be like the Pope or Joan of Arc to study 3D at Lifeway - not so at all - there is NO faith test to get in.... I spose it is because the college is values based and has a christian foundation they have a separate school that teaches ministry as well - so I think that message got mixed down the line

Hey Emil

Good to see you on the wire - saw some good work from Austin and Karen last year and looking forward to some highend stuff this time too - there are some stars shining in this class already - are you still teaching? It certainly is a small world.

Cheers

Hi Worzel
Yes - It is cool that students get to rub shoulders with such people - people like Tim though definately a one off thing (Sander Schwartzs Director of Warner Bros Animation was at L/way on the same day but again a one off)- but we are trying to get Tim in yearly if poss...Also hoping for some guys at Weta later in the year - always an area to expand though....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:13 pm 
Dark Lord of the Sith

Yo Jono,

Hows tricks. Hope all is goin well. Been meaning to drop ya a line for ages now :) Might back in the country soon for a bit. I'll make sure to pop by and say hello and see what the fresh recruits are turning out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:57 pm 
Ewok

Hi Ollie,

Yeah when you are around pop by - would love to see what you have been up over in the motherland too - be good to catch up.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:03 am 
Droid

OHYEA! ON board n fready 2 go.......yea ive been around a few animation skools in my time and i am proud to say, Lifeway College kicks my ass!If there is such thing as money well spent on studyin animation here in NZ...........it's at Lifeway.........oh n im not religious in any way btw.....u shudn't hav 2 be

Post subject: 3D ANIMATION - MAYA SHORT COURSE (TASTER)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:34 pm 
Ewok

Hi All,

A quick (late) heads up that Lifeway College is running a 5 day intensive Maya short course at our Snells Beach campus next Monday 28th April through Friday 2nd May. It's for people wanting to get a taste of 3D in Maya and also check out Huhu Studios and the facilities up here. We are offering partial scholarships so the price is only $99 and the app form is available http://www.lifeway.ac.nz/events/
Applicants need to be 16+ and have strong computer ability. Reply to this post or contact info@lifeway.ac.nz to get more info (or txt 027 LIFEWAY or call 0800 LIFEWAY)

Freefall