Post subject: 3D concept art workflows, questions from a student
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:59 am 
Droid

Hey guys, so I'm a student in Auckland currently finishing my 3rd year of 3D animation. I have this assignment where I need to research and experiment with a new workflow for creating photorealistic 3D concept art to broaden my skills in my chosen specialization.
I specialize in concept art, and would like to ask some questions about the new workflow I have chosen.

My usual workflow spans from sketching in either photoshop or sketchbook pro, then box modelling through maya and sculpting in mudbox. After that i usually paint the texture maps in photoshop and then render through Maya. This is the flow that I am comfortable with, and don't usually deter from.
For the workflow I am researching, I'm going completely out of my usual comfort zone. I will be sketching in my usual photoshop or sketchbook, then modelling and sculpting in Zbrush through dynamesh and the sorts. After that I'm going to be playing with Mari for textures, tweaking textures in photoshop and rendering back in Zbrush.

My questions are, does anyone here use a similar workflow to the one I am researching? What problems or advantages have you come across? Do Mari and Zbrush effectively communicate back and forth? Do you have any work that you can show using this workflow? What are other good workflows that you have found to be effective for photorealistc concept art?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, so far it's been difficult to find much information online relevant to this combination of software haha

Post subject: Re: 3D concept art workflows, questions from a student
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:16 pm 
Rogue Leader

I use a similar workflow, I use it in different ways as I want a different end result to you, but all the same principles apply. My personal workflow preference is Alchemy, Photoshop, Zbrush and MODO, but I've used all the programs you listed. Zbrush and Mari communicate as effectively as any other 3D programs communicate, not great at the best of times. It all depends on what you plan on taking out of zbrush; if its a well topologised model that's not to dense you fine, if its 30 million polygons and dynameshed to hell it will be harder. Sorry for the rather sarcastic advise but the basics always apply.
Really you should have no trouble with a zbrush mari work flow, just be smart how you go about it. as for the best way to get photo-realistic concept art it really depends on what you designing. if your doing environments then just doing a basic 3D layout and photobashing is a great way to go. if its characters then doing a basic zbrush sculpt then comping and correcting in Photoshop is a good way to do it.

if you looking for professionals with interesting workflows then Scott Robertson and Ben Mauro are two artists I find inspiring in that regard. Also me. But I'n no where near that good

Hope it helps a little. if you do find anything super awesome let us know! love to see some of the work you come up with

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:23 pm 
Droid

Ah thankyou for the fast reply! And I probably should've been a bit more specific, my bad haha. The workflow is to be used for static creature or character concepts. So for the example I'll be trying out after my research, I'll be sculpting a bust of a reptilian character :)
Also thankyou for those recommendations, I'll look both of them up and check out their work! And I'll check out yours too since you work in a similar way :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:32 pm 
Rogue Leader

Kuhal Earthshaker wrote:
Ah thankyou for the fast reply! And I probably should've been a bit more specific, my bad haha. The workflow is to be used for static creature or character concepts. So for the example I'll be trying out after my research, I'll be sculpting a bust of a reptilian character :)
Also thankyou for those recommendations, I'll look both of them up and check out their work! And I'll check out yours too since you work in a similar way :)

Well if that's what you want then I highly recommend this tutorial by Ben Mauro. Its about using Zbrush and Photoshop to create concept art of a reptilian character. In bust form. So probably pretty useful.

This is just a sample the full tutorial costs about $50 if i remember correctly. But trust me well worth it