Post subject: Massive Black Workshop Competition - Pinflux
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:22 am 
Ewok

Hey guys, I'll be honest, I just signed up for the forum tonight after Kody told me about this competition (but I'll have a good look around of course). A ticket to the workshop would be like manna from heaven. Or the fifth golden ticket. Or some other metaphor of a similar constitution.
I only heard about the comp now, so I just wanted to chuck this up here so I (hopefully) won't get disqualified for being too late. With any luck I should have some concepts to upload tomorrow!

Since I'm new I guess I should say who I am, if only briefly.

I'm J, a recently(ish) graduated animator living in Auckland. I have a blog here and a little animation studio I run with my friend Dane called Rhubarb Zoo here. Thanks for having me!

Post subject: Re: Massive Black Workshop Competition - Pinflux
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:03 am 
Sandtrooper

*c**ks trigger of gun,backs into corner and eyes other entrants*

Stay back! :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:55 pm 

Such a warm and friendly welcome from Kody there. Well, welcome!!! Good to have you here at NZCGI. Tell some friends :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:35 pm 
Sandtrooper

Lol actually that last post was meant to be aimed at the other contestants....because I'm sure they'll want to strangle me now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:40 pm 

Ah right, that makes sense. :D good luck with the competition pnflux

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:18 am 
Ewok

Thanks Laz! (and Kody :P)

My first idea for a piece was of someone who had gone wrinkly in the bath after soaking for too long.
I thought maybe that was a bit underwhelming so I changed my plans.

My final idea is going to be kinda tough I think - I want to show a change in attitude over time. To do this I plan to show an old, kindly man, looking at old photos with his wife. The photo he is looking at is one of himself as an angry, angsty teenager giving the fingers to the camera. Hopefully I can effectively convey his change in attitude as he has grown up, settled down with a nice girl, had a family and changed his general outlook on life.

As a twist to the image, I want the photo he is looking at to be one from aroundabouts this year (maybe portraying the teenager as an 'emo kid') - so the image would be set about 40 years or so from now. This would give me more interesting problems, like coming up with a style of clothing and the interface that they are viewing the photo from. I want to make sure that the clothing/technology is not so out there or 'futuristic' that it detracts from the idea of the piece.

So far I've just done a lot of concept sketches of old men and a few clothing ideas - I'm also playing around with composition thumbnails. I'll chuck them up here as soon as I get my hands on a scanner :P

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:02 pm 
Ewok

Ok, I have stuff to show!

First is a bunch of sketch pages I did to experiment with the look of the guy, the clothing style, and the overall composition. It's all pretty rough. The four top-left guys in the first page are from reference photos.

And onto the piece itself, using Photoshop CS2 -

Set up some randomly spaced lines heading off towards three separate vanishing points that I've set with rulers. I'll work well within the confines of the space and crop it later - I'm also keeping a folder above the other layers filled black with a gap in it to test cropping as I go, but I leave it switched off for the most part.

Roughly sketched out the characters. The wife looks a bit creepy at the moment, I'll have to go back later to touch her up.

Worked out the placement of the screen that they're viewing - adding more vanishing points as it's leaning backwards slightly. Started to set the measurements for the 'band' that bends behind the main screen (you can see in the concept sketches), acting as the GUI of the viewer they're using. The two dots to the left are the furtherest point back from the curve.

Used the pen tool in Photoshop to create the curves once I had figured out how to use them to stroke rather than fill :P (I'm still a bit of a vector noob). The screens will be transparent - not only will this make them look more 'futuristic', but it solves my compositional problem as you will be able to see the image that the characters are seeing (albeit in reverse).

That's all I've got so far. I'm usually pretty ADD with my art so I'm going to have to keep my head down to get through and finish it off.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:06 am 
Jedi Master

Whoah... that's a very tidy drawing style you have there! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:10 am 
Droid

Whoa J, dont hold back!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:16 am 
Ewok

Lancer - thanks a lot man!

Shoo - I'd recognise that face anywhere...

I've been spending any available time on the piece, and have started chucking on colour. Now my methods start to get shaky and unsure as I'm way less confident with colour than lines.

Threw some more lines down to sort out that background, and started colouring. I want the piece to be very desaturated with the exception of the screen which will be a more vivid red. Decided to have the light source above and ahead a little of the characters - it will be fun doing some secondary lighting in the shadow cast by his cap. I'm also hoping that I'll have time near the end to put in some red light from the screen in those shadows.

Quickly sketched a family photo to have hanging in the room, and used the perspective tool in photoshop to align it to the wall. I wanted to make sure the piece shows the guy has led a happy life and that he has raised a family. It's also interesting that the piece will show the same guy in three distinct ages when the screen is finished - teenager, middle aged and retired. Hopefully it'll be obvious enough that it's the same guy when I give him a great big mole :P

Added in some more flat colours, and made the woman a bit less scary. I'm kind of worried that she's a bit small though, it's hard for me to tell. What do you guys think? Any more crits?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:49 am 
Administrator

Great progress. I like how you have just the corner of the picture on the wall poking out from behind the red screen. I think that will definitely draw our attention there.

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:53 pm 
Sandtrooper

i can see awesomeness a brewing. Love the concept sketches

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:05 am 
Ewok

Thanks Worzel and Kody!

I put all of Saturday into it and finished it off in the wee hours of the morning. Here are the rest of the WIPs and the final image -

Drew the image of the man's younger self as a simple black and white sketch. Also came up with a little story, just for myself really - he's just moved into a new house after shifting towns due to his dad changing jobs. He's typically emo but also pissed off at his parents for uprooting him and making him leave his friends behind. Little does he know that he'll run into the girl he'll end up happily married to for the rest of his life in this new town...

Used the perspective tool again to align the sketch with the holographic screen - his mole is on the opposite side because we are really seeing the back of the screen. One of my ideas was to simply cut the linework out of the red screen so you can see the background perfectly through these gaps - this worked pretty well as the background is dark enough against the bright screen to make it easily readable, so I stuck with it rather than trying anything else. Also filled in more of the background and worked at the characters.

After some helpful crits from a few people I made the woman larger (I was worried she was too small at first but then forgot about it :P) and added the red to the projector to make it more obvious that it is the source of the holoscreen. Also added 'tabs' to the hologram to show that the photo is from 2008, and hopefully make it seem more obvious that they are looking at a photo of the old guy as a teen. Kept at cleaning up the background and characters, and redid the woman's face.

The fun part, adjustments! Hurrah for working digitally! My concept for the colours had changed by this point and I wanted a darker, more blue image to contrast with the bright red of the screen. Also added in rim lighting to the characters and some red from the screen into their shadows to tie the image together further. All that's left to do is crop the image to make it a bit more pleasing compositionally.

Used another layer and made a black box to test out different cropping ideas. With the rule of thirds in mind I cropped it so the couple's faces are a third of the way into the image from the right. You don't see it here but I also quickly designed a little fictional 'Scrapbook3' logo to go on the hologram as the title of the software they're using. Then I'm done! And pretty tired.

Err... my friend Ryan suggested I'd have a better chance of winning if I add a robot into the corner. I knocked one out but didn't think it suited the mood of the piece :P

FINAL ENTRY - 'SCRAPBOOK'

Due to the aspect ratio of the image, it doesn't quite fit the resolution requirements, and is a few pixels under the minimum height resolution. If that's actually a problem I can stretch it or something, but I'm hoping it's not the end of the world for you guys!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:46 am 
Bounty Hunter

Great work man,

Nice process and drawing style, love the perspective. I think you have a good chance to win :)

Good luck

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:31 am 
Sandtrooper

AWESOME WORK! I really love the composition :) goodluck!