Post subject: MASSIVE BLACK COMPETITION WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:42 pm 

He asked for Manna from heaven and he got what was coming to him, a huge congratulations to Pinflux from the NZCGI crew.

A big thanks to judges Greg Broadmore and Mike Bierek for taking time from their busy schedules to judge this competition! We know it cant have been easy. And of course, to the entrants and the NZCGI community who made our first major competition run as smoothly as it did.

PINFLUX (Winner)

Attachment:
pinflux.jpg
pinflux.jpg [ 31.91 KiB | Viewed 4701 times ]

Judges Comments:

Mike Beirek - Concept Artist, Massive Black
Pretty cool entry. I like that the story is pretty obvious and the graphic element of the red on the left is effective. Everything looks a bit like clay right now. It would benefit to treat the form differently from the skin and the cloth. Some texture interference would be nice too. Good job :)

Greg Broadmore - Concept Artist, Weta Workshop
Awesome, really great piece. It's funny, cute, expertly rendered in a really unique style with great perspective. The story told here is really subtly handled and really gets across the concept. Just rad.

EVOBOY

Attachment:
evoBoy.jpg
evoBoy.jpg [ 20.11 KiB | Viewed 4703 times ]

Judges Comments:

Mike Beirek
Nice idea :) I think the composition is working well and the execution of the drawing is pretty solid but I would've liked to see a bit more variation in color. The whole thing can still be primarily green, there's nothing wrong with that... but the fact that its all the same kind of green the whole way through makes it a little boring/garish. If you were to add some subtle texture or some more variety in image (color variety and texture) It could be a great piece.

Greg Broadmore
Really nice composition and bold, simple colour. This piece is just simple, elegant and beautifully subtle in it's rendering. It certainly conveys the process of time in a specific way that can be symbolic to those who view it. Really nice work.

TENGU

Attachment:
tengu.jpg
tengu.jpg [ 131.74 KiB | Viewed 4698 times ]

Judges Comments:

Mike Beirek
Very ambitious! The value patterns are really scattered though which makes the picture kind of spotty looking. It would definitely benefit from having more details pushed darker so it doesn't interfere with the focus of the piece. Good effort : )

Greg Broadmore
A lot of detail here showing a lot of promise. Not a bad composition but there is a lack of focus. Still, this has a lot going for it and absolutely conveys a great deal of time passed.

REBLERABBLE

Attachment:
reebleRabble.jpg
reebleRabble.jpg [ 82.43 KiB | Viewed 4131 times ]

Judges Comments:

Mike Beirek
Nice colors and idea. the composition could be better. You have the edge of the clock and the bird dividing the picture almost directly in half and it makes my eye want to keep moving to the center of the image. If you think of composition like in a hierarchy where you have a main focus (or focuses) then have your secondary and so on, I can't tell graphically speaking
what is the main draw here because the clock and bird take up equal "real estate" on the page and they conflict with each other instead of complimenting each other.

Greg Broadmore
Ha ha! Very funny. Great lighting and colours, pretty cool.I feel for the little guy.

MATTFORSYTH

Attachment:
mattForsythe.jpg
mattForsythe.jpg [ 63.9 KiB | Viewed 4686 times ]

Judge Comments:

Mike Beirek
The anatomy is kind of wonky on the dude and the image is a bit to too monotone. Could also be more accurate in terms of the things you're trying to portray. Everything looks a bit thrown together.

Greg Broadmore
A lot of great potential here. An epic and funny image in one. The colour is simple but powerful and oppressive. Needs a lot of polish but pretty solid.

LANCER

Attachment:
lancer.jpg
lancer.jpg [ 47.27 KiB | Viewed 4684 times ]

Judges Comments:

Mike Beirek
In general you put in a good effort. Some things that aren't really working is the background values are practically the same as the skeleton which flattens and dulls this image quite a bit. If it were a darker background the skeleton would pop a bit more. as for the rendering of the character and objects you could have used better reference I think. For one instance, the hand gesture in the front looks pretty wonky. You could have picked a better position for those fingers to be in. Keep on working hard...

Greg Broadmore
This piece is an interesting concept and has some solid drafting. The rendering has potential but there is a long way to go. It's a classic metaphor for the terminal imminence of time.

KODY

Attachment:
kody.jpg
kody.jpg [ 82.39 KiB | Viewed 4129 times ]

Judges Comments:

Mike Beirek
Pretty solid effort. It was hard to tell specifically what you were trying to say with this image till I read your description. I have to say this picture looks kind of rushed and rough looking. If rough was your intention you could have emphasized it more with some texture work and brushes. As far as conveying the message you wanted to express, it kind of falters. When I first looked at the picture I didn't a great sense of helplessness. His expression almost looks like he has a strange smile and he's looking at something off screen... almost suspicious and unattached from whats going on behind him. The composition is kind of ho hum. There's no problem with a vertical straight forward composition but with the kind of illustration you're aiming for it would be helpful to add some more elements or emphasize elements that could help the viewer to "feel" the space he's in better. Like cracks in the ground or an or some more newspapers. Something to give the area more character.

Greg Broadmore
I like the graphic, illustrative style and the small story that this piece tells.

KEI_KASAI

Attachment:
keiKasai.jpg
keiKasai.jpg [ 24.86 KiB | Viewed 4678 times ]

Judges Comments:

Mike Beirek
I like your idea and the technical execution is pretty solid but the composition is kind of boring. It could be a combination of things like the camera angle is just a little too plain or you could have worked the pose so it's not a typical sad head down kind of pose or put something more in the scene to keep the viewers interest. I know you wanted to convey a sense of loneliness but it doesn't mean the scene has to be super empty. As it is right now i'm also a little confused as to what material he's made of. I think its trying to be burlap but it looks like a strange shiny kind of leathery substance. It's important to know what you want to convey to the viewer in every sense (if you want them to know its burlap model it/ texture it/normal map it accordingly!)

Greg Broadmore
Great lighting makes this rendering really intriguing and creates a great atmosphere. Really conveys a lot about a long lost toy or friend. Pretty cool

Post subject: Re: MASSIVE BLACK COMPETITION WINNER ANNOUCEMENT
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:46 pm 

Another thanks to all you wonderful NZCGI members! Please note that there is no particular order to the post above, accept ofcourse that of the winning entry. Congratulations again Pinflux.

Cheers guys.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:57 pm 

Nice work Pinflux!! Conratulations Image I have to say that your entry was my favourite (more so with the robot though ;))

And a massive thanks to the judges too, awesome to have your support here, and thanks for all the feedback!

Great competition all round, cheers to all Image

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:03 pm 
Imperial Guard

Awesome job pinflux, truly deserved..you were my pick of the quality bunch.

Thanks judges for providing critiques too, that was pretty cool

and thanks worzel, laz and the moderators for providing a great opportunity

Post subject: Re: MASSIVE BLACK COMPETITION WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:10 pm 
Death Star Gunner

Congrats Pinflux...and everyone, all your work is very inspirational!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:13 pm 
Droid

Wooo yeah! Awesome job all!! Pinflux - J, cant wait to see your ass down here!!! :shock: :D :o :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:21 am 
Jedi Master

Yeah - congrats Pinflux!

It's great that Beirek and Broadmore gave feedback to the other entries... always something there you wouldn't have seen or expected. I knew mine was nowhere near finished when I submitted... was my first ever use of a Wacom and I'm really pleased to have the expert insights! :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:41 am 
Ewok

Wow, stoked! Thanks so much NZCGI, Mike and Greg! Excellent crits all round, it was awesome that the guys took the time to comment on every entry!

Cheers you forumers for the kind words and the rad entries, a lot of talent around these here parts :)

Now I just gotta get sorted for Wellington, Woohoo!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:26 pm 
Death Star Gunner

Nice work Pinflux! :mrgreen: And thanks for the competition NZCGI - it was cool to have a project on and to see other people's takes on the theme (even the ones that didn't get past the description stage!).

Have fun at Massive Black, well deserved!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:48 pm 
Sandtrooper

Yay! Good work Jeremy! I'll see you at Wellington!

It was great to get feeback from 2 well respected artists and i hope they remember my entry when i go to talk to them at the workshop.

Btw this is Mike's Portfolio http://chutcheese.googlepages.com/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:33 pm 
Administrator

Congrats Pinflux! We'll get your entry to the workshop sorted soon. You just need to check your Private messages and reply to me!! ;)

Well done everyone. I think the judges were impressed over all. Great work!

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:05 am 
Ewok

Congrats Pinflux, and to all the other entrants (crap yous get a critique). Thanks for the oportunity NZCGI, see yous in the forums.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:24 am 
Sandtrooper

Congratulations Pinflux a well earned win :) excellent job everyone!

NZCGI Sketchbook

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:06 pm 
Sandtrooper

CONGRATULATIONS!! Pinflux !! and to everyone! Thanks for Greg Broadmore and Mike Beirek for the crit and suggestions, I really appreciate it :). Anyway I hope we should have lots of this kind of challenge, cause its fun and brings out a lot of creativity, and keeps them flowing. Cheers everyone!