[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4761: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
NZCGI Forum

Post subject: NZCGI 1YEAR ANNIVERSARY Competition – Laz *Nudity :(*
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:03 pm 

I thought I would start my thread. Will be trucking away on this in my limted free time.

I have two ideas. I might even look at trying to do both depending on time.

First idea is a stylised version of "that guy in the background"

ThatGuyM.jpg
ThatGuyM.jpg [ 60.83 KiB | Viewed 5113 times ]

Problem is im not sure if it will hold up on its own without having the tweens in the foreground. Guess I can try. I'll try do some concepts tonight or tommorow.

Second idea is an anti-hero I made up based on a friend of mine. Giant Samoan guy named 'The hammer' this guy is huge (not obese but not thin either), wears a leather jacket far too small for him and has a full traditional tattoo sleeve, someone who would typically give you the heebies if you walked past him (note: NOT because hes samoan or has tattoos, but because he is so huge)

Post subject: Re: NZCGI 1YEAR ANNIVERSARY Competition – Laz
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:15 pm 
love the top one. O.O you have to do it! =^^=

Do both and then make then stand next to each other :O

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:16 pm 

Ok so I decided to scrap both. I couldnt come up with a design I liked for either so instead, with rustys permission (which I have) Im going to have a crack at Baba Yaga. I did a rough mudbox bust mockup in an hour last nite. Ill do a bit o work tonight and post my first WIP.

Heres the concept c/o Rusty.

baba.jpg
baba.jpg [ 142.81 KiB | Viewed 5004 times ]

For the sake of this comp, ill omit the skulls and shiz that make her appear more evil. But I think ill do em anyways.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:01 am 
Administrator

Why Laz, that seems like a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel!

Yes, that is a Blackadder quote. :P

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:06 pm 

Indeed, I don't remember blackadder much at all! A shame, Rowan Attkinson at his finest.

Because the concept is already there (thanks to the incredible artwork of Rusty), I just need to work on a pipeline. Here's what I intend to do, it may seem convaluted (or it may BE convaluted) but thats what I want to find out.

Block out the form of her head in mudbox from the default head base mesh (which I have started already). When I'm happy, bring it back into Maya to rebuild the topology.

Build a very rough very quick body base mesh with her overall porportions, take that into mudbox to fine tune the form. Take it BACK into maya again to rebuild the topology. Stitch on her head, UV, pose and take it back again one last time into mudbox to crank out some cool detailing.

At the moment, im not 100% sure where the clothing fits into this. I guess I should do it just before I pose her, Ill probably have to pose her, sculpt in mudbox and rebuild the topology of the clothing aswell.

Heres a rough up of the form of her head. I plan to take this into Maya tonight to rebuild the topology.

baba_01.jpg
baba_01.jpg [ 51.35 KiB | Viewed 4932 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:50 pm 
Administrator

Great start! Compared to the concept drawing, the cheeks are too puffed up and the brow should curve down, not up... or at least it looks that way from the angle of the concept. With flatter cheeks and drooping brows it will give it more character.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:34 pm 

Sweet, im in the process of building in maya at the moment, ill make some changes there. I was a bit iffy around that area myself :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:38 pm 

1st pass retopology in maya. Fixed some proportion issues. I feel like her nose is too hooked. Looking at the concept, I think its more flat but pointing down. I might try play around with it. Kinda reminds me of gonzo atm. Everything has been reminding my of gonzo lately... Tried to fix some of the issues Worz pointed out. Did it work?

Must be brief, internet connection is dodgy, times out every few minutes and takes ages to load a page of text. :(

Attachments:
baba_02.jpg
baba_02.jpg [ 45.71 KiB | Viewed 4883 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:39 pm 

hmm looking at the concept again, i think her brows need to be even lower in the middle. Here eyes maybe a bit too far forward too.. funny how sometimes u just need to look away from what u are working on for a min and you start to notice how crap it is.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:27 pm 
Administrator

Not "crap", just needs to be better! ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:56 pm 

Pass two. Starting to look a bit better. I think I'm going to leave her head for now and start on her body.

baba_04.jpg
baba_04.jpg [ 47.75 KiB | Viewed 4863 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:22 pm 

Havent got around to getting much done today, ive been lazing around watching movies.. :roll:

I did manage to whip up a quick base mesh. I plan to take this into mudbox, solidify the form, bring back a considerably higher poly version to rebuild. There is still a lot of work I need to do on the head, but I have decided to wait until I get it onto a body first.

baba_05.jpg
baba_05.jpg [ 47.05 KiB | Viewed 4830 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:51 pm 

Blocked out the form a bit, unfortunately my base mesh didn't hold up around the breasts so i couldnt tweak the shape how I would like, when I rebuild the topology ill tweak it then. Im not sure about her feet yet, i might have over done the size. I wanted her to have hobbit type feet. At the moment the head, feet and hands are just rough size place holders anyway, I can tweak all that stuff when I start building her mesh. Which I may start now.

baba_06.jpg
baba_06.jpg [ 117.35 KiB | Viewed 4785 times ]

Post subject: Re: NZCGI 1YEAR ANNIVERSARY Competition – Laz *Nudity :(*
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:21 pm 
Bounty Hunter

Good start mate. Love the placeholder face, thought it was for real! It takes a bit of playing round with to get a good start in mudbox or zbrush, but looks like you are well on your way there, keep it up.

Post subject: Re: NZCGI 1YEAR ANNIVERSARY Competition – Laz *Nudity :(*
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:30 am 

Thanks :), I'm still getting the hang of mudbox just started using it recently but I must say at risk of starting a full out war, Mudbox 1, zBrush 0. At the moment im just using it to block out a rough shape, the fun detail stuff comes later :D

I did start to build the topology, but I haven't gotten far enough to really post anything. Ive been faffing around too much. Will have something to post tommorow me hopes.