[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4761: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
NZCGI Forum

Post subject: NZCGI 1YEAR ANNIVERSARY Competition – onix
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:24 pm 
Sandtrooper

ok, I am going to start. It's not something I really prefer to model, also I am a bit worried that I get the theme wrong.
I am making a model which appears to be 3 joined beautiful women when u first look at it. But it's actually a monster.
The question now is what kind of body I should give to them. also i am not sure to do a monster will fit the subtle evil requirement.

Anyway here is a rough version of my rough concept
001.jpg
001.jpg [ 80.16 KiB | Viewed 4839 times ]

The cloth is there to hide the ugly monstrous body, those women have long necks btw. That's what i am thinking of.
But so far everyone is doing a human character, so I am not sure.
Suggestions please!!

Post subject: Re: NZCGI 1YEAR ANNIVERSARY Competition – onix
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:57 pm 
Sandtrooper

I have drawn two more concepts to explain what i had in mind. Like I said in the first post, I am still not sure i understand the subtle evil definition correctly. For me, I really want to do a creature this time, so it will look definitely non-human which means not only the expression its body configuration will be evil as well.

However I thought there is another level of subtlety find in many movies and games, that the creature disguises itself to some non-evil entity and turns out to be evil in the end. So I am thinking to portray that. If the character has to look normal but with an evil expression then I think I will change my idea.
here are the ideas, combining with the first post where the monster had some kinda cloak to cover parts of its body.
m01.jpg
m01.jpg [ 134.37 KiB | Viewed 4745 times ]
m02.jpg
m02.jpg [ 116.13 KiB | Viewed 4744 times ]

i guess the second idea has the potential to be developed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:06 pm 
Administrator

Your on the right track. I like the idea of mixing beauty with something quite disturbing... the pretty faces on ugly bodies generates feelings of uneasiness. It feels like something bad is trying to disguise itself as something good, which always means evil is somewhere underneath! As you mentioned, showing slight signs of the body beneath the cloak will help the viewer sense something is wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:54 pm 
Sandtrooper

it's glad to hear the competition has been extended, was doing some projects early on. But now I am back for this, ok so just a simple female head model before z brush. gonna finish the simple monster mesh soon.
01.jpg
01.jpg [ 101.03 KiB | Viewed 4648 times ]
02.jpg
02.jpg [ 37.73 KiB | Viewed 4652 times ]
03.jpg
03.jpg [ 36.74 KiB | Viewed 4655 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:50 pm 
Sandtrooper

Beautiful mesh, incredibly strong start.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:27 pm 
Sandtrooper

Thank you folly. So i managed to pin down my concept, for creature modeling i always find it difficult to model exactly the way I draw.
I will put up the model first, since I haven't decided what to do with the arms. I will also model the cloth later, I am not sure how much detail i have to give to the current model since the model will be covered by cloth.
01.jpg
01.jpg [ 92.12 KiB | Viewed 4598 times ]

smooth version
02.jpg
02.jpg [ 84.97 KiB | Viewed 4592 times ]

once I sort out the arms, I will move on to zbrush, hopefully this will happen this week.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:43 pm 
Rogue Leader

My only thought on this at this stage is that the body seems to huge for the heads? Were you assuming one normal size lady with two extra heads? If so she's a bit out of proportion....I know you mentioned something like three people standing real close, then realising they're joined, but even so initially this would appear to be one huge breasted momma!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:48 pm 
Rebel Commander

..................no........... try doing the body again. dont rush it. the body just looks way off...go for a more femal feel and not a tenticled strong man with a camel toe.

www.sharplin.deviantart.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:49 pm 
Sandtrooper

i know what you guys' concern, and originally the body was a skinny girl, that's why I need to show the concept first. I mean obviously I am not modeling a human character right here. I am still struggling in terms of how to give people the feel this is a monster.

I guess i will take the advice try to make it look more female as well.
Here's the improved version
01.jpg
01.jpg [ 72.72 KiB | Viewed 4447 times ]
02.jpg
02.jpg [ 43.97 KiB | Viewed 4445 times ]

also i decide to go for sth simple but disturbing
"rokurokubi" They are yokai(demon) found in Japanese folklore. They look like normal human beings by day, but at night they gain the ability to stretch their necks to great lengths. They can also change their faces to those of terrifying oni (Japanese ogres) to better scare mortals.
Rokuro_kubi_by_ScorpionDeathlock.jpg
Rokuro_kubi_by_ScorpionDeathlock.jpg [ 710.11 KiB | Viewed 4288 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:59 pm 
Sandtrooper

ok, my newest progress, now up to zbrush, I have briefly sculpted face and hair, the body doesn't have to be detailed, since cloth hasn't been modeled yet. and finally i love zbrush

whole body
01.jpg
01.jpg [ 72.67 KiB | Viewed 4437 times ]

face closeup 02.jpg
02.jpg [ 86.04 KiB | Viewed 4436 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:28 am 
Death Star Gunner

perhaps the upper arm is a little bit short? It is pretty hard to tell at the 45' camera angle.

the hairline is a tad too low IMO.

other than that it looks like good progress so far 8-)

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:02 pm 
Sandtrooper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:25 pm 
Administrator

Just a reminder for submission:

a) 4 high quality digital JPEG images (which best show off you model):
Max resolution: 1600w x 1200h pixels
Min resolution: 1000w x 1000h pixels

b) A 360 turntable render no smaller than 768 x 576 pixels.
Turntable: One rotation of almost fully (or fully) naked dude, and one rotation of your finished model with clothing (if he has clothing!).
Format: Quicktime
Compression: H.264

You MUST archive all of your individual files into one single archive file before uploading.
Please archive with one of the following types: 7z, Zip, Rar.

The final submission deadline is: 11.30pm, Friday 5th June, 2009.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:48 pm 
Sandtrooper

i forfeit, i know i am not man enough to complete this, but at least i give it a go, i will try it next time. For now, get back to work.