[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4761: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
NZCGI Forum

Post subject: NZCGI 1YEAR ANNIVERSARY Competition – Untamed
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:58 am 
Bounty Hunter

Good day people.

Just creating a presence in this competition so that I can motivate myself to get started!

I see that a lot of people have gone for human-like characters, my idea varies a little from that.

For those of you who are familiar with the Warhammer 40k universe, I am planning to base my character on those flying 'cupid-like' creatures that are often seen in space marine and deamonhunter artwork. You occasionally see these creates along side servo skulls and other crazy mechanical things on Space marine homeworlds.

I think it would be interesting to explore what one of these could look like if crossed with a gremlin, giving it a bit more of a beast-like figure. The character would relate to the competition rules by not having an evil personality, but looking slightly mischievous. You could say it takes on a lot of traits that a gremlin has.

I will try an find some better reference images later, but I am at work at the moment, so this will have to do for now. (second model from the left)

Attachments:
newimage.asp-449.gif
newimage.asp-449.gif [ 28.76 KiB | Viewed 4925 times ]

Post subject: Re: NZCGI 1YEAR ANNIVERSARY Competition – Untamed
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:49 pm 
Death Star Gunner

Very cool idea dude...you still rocking the 40k I see!!! :D :D Those things are called "cherubs" if I'm not mistaken...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:51 pm 
Bounty Hunter

Ahh cheers bro, was wondering what they were called. Found another image, but the models are such small scale they don't do the character any justice, ill try an locate some art when I have more time.

Attachments:
Cherub_1.jpg
Cherub_1.jpg [ 15.95 KiB | Viewed 4893 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:38 pm 
Bounty Hunter

Alright I have done a paint over of a cherub from the WH40k universe. I want to treat this more as a workflow/modelling exercise, rather than conceptual. Depending on how long it takes to make the cherub, I may or may not make the servo skulls.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

I will start the modelling tonight!

Attachments:
cherub_concept.jpg
cherub_concept.jpg [ 40.45 KiB | Viewed 4841 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:33 pm 
Bounty Hunter

Quickly blocked out the shape tonight. Will take it into zbrush to block it out a bit better tomorrow.

Attachments:
cherub_modelling_1.jpg
cherub_modelling_1.jpg [ 18.11 KiB | Viewed 4814 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:27 pm 
Bounty Hunter

Had another stab at it tonight. It's not easy finding time after work to do this, but I will persist.

Only had about an hour to work on it tonight, so the next step will be to change the topology (right now it is very ugly)

Not much to crit now I know, but progress is important!

Attachments:
cherub_modelling_2.jpg
cherub_modelling_2.jpg [ 42.27 KiB | Viewed 4772 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:37 am 

Sweet, interesting concept. I have to say I am not familiar with the Warhammer 40k universe at all, but ohwell! Be careful you dont make it TOO evil.

Is it just me, or is weight of this guy back quite a bit, feels like hes falling backwards. Are you going to put it into the pose you drew it in?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:17 am 
Bounty Hunter

Cheers for the feedback. Won't be making him look too evil, it's half infant after all :D

I am just modeling him in bind pose for now, and I will pose it in Zbrush later. I find it much easier doing it this way than modeling it in pose

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:39 pm 
Bounty Hunter

Update for tonight:

Worked a bit more on the topology. Still lots more to do before I am happy with it.

I would say I am 40% through figuring out the topology

Attachments:
cherub_modelling_3.jpg
cherub_modelling_3.jpg [ 39.34 KiB | Viewed 4723 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:46 pm 
Administrator

Good start. If it was for animation,I'd have him standing balanced in the bind pose. But if you're rigging just to pose for further modelling, then it's probably not really that important if he has a bit of a backwards lean to him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:43 am 
Bounty Hunter

Cheers Worz, I will adjust his pose when I get the chance because it is easier to model in the bind pose. This will probably be my first full organic character, so it's a big learning curve for me. Support is greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:16 pm 
Administrator

Now, I'm not a huge modeller myself, but i kinda like the loops on the unsmoothed dude that you posted much earlier above (with the wing thingies) more than the smoothed version you just posted. I'm talking mostly about the loops around the side of his torso. Not sure if you're going for some muscle flow... ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:35 pm 
Bounty Hunter

Yeah that area is a real mess at the moment. I fixed it last night, ill post an update tonight when I get home.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:24 pm 
Bounty Hunter

Worked on the arm / hands

Attachments:
cherub_modelling_4.jpg
cherub_modelling_4.jpg [ 7.45 KiB | Viewed 4607 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:14 am 

Sweet, looks like an arm which is a good thing :D There is some odd shading going on just above the inner elbow bicep area, without seeing the wireframe i wouldnt be able to comment on topology. But im sure you have it sorted :)