[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4761: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
NZCGI Forum

Post subject: NZCGI 1YEAR ANNIVERSARY Competition – The Frigid Midget
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:19 pm 
Rogue Leader

Aaaaaaaaaaaaallllrighty then. I was going for a fashionably late entrance but I think I may have left it just a little bit to late.
Im not entirely sure if I'll actually get around to finishing this. But I figure if I have something up here, it may encourage me to keep with it.

I've been trying to pick what im going to model for quite some time now. Originally I was going to do George W. Bush for a laugh (not that way), then I started leaning towards Ghengis Kahn, then to Cerebus and now after watching The Watchmen (thats right, I watch the Watchmen) I've finally decided on what to model. I shall be modeling possibly my favourite comic book character Walter Kovaks/Rorschach.

Post subject: Re: NZCGI 1YEAR ANNIVERSARY Competition – The Frigid Midget
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:44 pm 

Rorschach is the coolest anti-hero ever created. Will be interesting to see what you do with it. Remember, no textures for the comp!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:41 pm 
Rogue Leader

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:11 am 
Tusken Raider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:17 am 

Yea, bold I know.

As for the button. Meh, a bump map would do. :P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:05 pm 
Rogue Leader

Holy testicle Tuesday! I’m updating. Huh? What was that? That doesn't sound right at all. No no no no no, there is something wrong here, very very wrong.
Okay, so it seems someone up there wants me to actually work on this (Laz, not Jebus). I was going to post this when I finished at 3 in the morning (been awhile since I've done that), but sleep over rode that. I decided that I was going to try a different method for modeling the face for this comp. Instead of the usual cube-face-sculpt-o-ramma, I tried something that I saw in Jason Osipa's Stop Staring book, and modelled the face in patches. For the most part, it turned out much better than my last attempt, please ignore the crappy crappy ear though, I think I’m going have to have another crack at that. C&C welcome.

Attachments:
rorschachFace.jpg
rorschachFace.jpg [ 74.32 KiB | Viewed 7039 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:18 pm 

ooh some work.

OK. Forehead is looking ratehr high/forward and squarish. The nose bridge is looking a bit sharp imo, feels like there no real cartlidge behind it. The ears are a bit thin? The loops around the mouth could probably go a bit higher, there seems to be an awful lot of detail below his nose above his mouth, tis a difficult area.

A good strong start :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:00 pm 
Sandtrooper

I agree with Laz that the forehead is ait squarish (mostly cause of the two sharp lines on the sides of his forehead) but I think you could get away with him having a big forehead, it might be quite stylish. If you look at the pic below I did a quick doodle on how you can giv that nose some more detail. On a last note, when you start mudboxing it ( And i know you will Jackson....;-) try reseaching or referencing anger stretch marks, cause Rorchach is a pretty angry dude he'd have plenty of creases and wrinkles around his forehead, around the sockets of his eyes, and anywhere that would show his life of angryness!......Looking cool tho dude I like!

Attachments:
rorschachFace.jpg
rorschachFace.jpg [ 75.33 KiB | Viewed 7036 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:46 pm 
Rogue Leader

Sweet lamas in mama’s pajamas! After my first update I was struck with what can only be described as a biblical amount of the wrath of God. Just after posting windows decided to pack a sad and leave.... and refuse to correctly re-install again. One very long and pain staking story short, after several grueling days of bashing my computer with a hammer (and occasionally my head), everything is re-installed and running the way it should be. To celebrate this momentous occasion, here’s the resulting work from the hemorrhage suffered from said head bashing, just for you.

Thanks for the crits guys, I rebuilt his ear, broadened out his nose a bit and smoothed his forehead, I’m not sure how I managed to miss his cubed head (must be to much Red Dwarf). And now I've started working on the torso and arms, looking at it now, the arm looks to detached from his body and his head looks a bit too long, even though he does have a long face in the comics. More CC's please mmmmmmmmmm cc's.

EDIT: Here you go guys and gals. I went and re-joined deviantART (hopefully I'll actually stick around this time :P) and uploaded my progress as of a few days ago. Its moved on a little from there but just with minor tweeks (he also has very basic legs now).

link: http://thefrigidmidget.deviantart.com/a ... -118022337

Last edited by The Frigid Midget on Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:16 pm 
Rogue Leader

Okay, so I think you guys will have to wait. For some reason the interweb wont let me upload the update pictures or edit my last post.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:26 pm 

Hmm it appears the uploads aren't working at the moment.

Man I haven't had CC's in a long time... Yumm.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:47 am 
Rogue Leader

Edited my last "update" post with a link to deviantART where all future updates will be posted untill the uploading problem been fixed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:05 pm 
Rebel Commander

im liking ti man. i think it would look really nice to have a straight nose ridge ( a flat line from forehead to the point of the nose. and sharp cheek bones. seem like you have kind of gone in that direction but id say take it further. wicked work so far tho man

www.sharplin.deviantart.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:14 pm 
Administrator

@ The Frigid Midget: If you want just the image to appear in your post, instead of linking to the Deviant Art url, you can right click on the image and select 'properties' (IE) to see the url for that particular image. You can then post that here with the [img]url[/img] tags.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:02 pm 
Rogue Leader