[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4761: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
NZCGI Forum
REGISTRATIONS NO LONGER OPEN ON NZCGI

Post subject: Winner Announcement Here!!!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:01 pm 
Administrator

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner!!

Many bigger than huge thanks to our judges Greg Broadmore, Paul Tobin and Steven Stahlberg for taking the time to look over the entries and provide some valuable feedback!

Following the winners, are the other entries in no particular order. :grin:

Well done to everyone! :clap:

1st Place Winner - Ahchu! Weapon: Rhino mounted Tesla gun

ahchu.jpg
ahchu.jpg [ 92.87 KiB | Viewed 12177 times ]

Greg Broadmore - Great stuff - a really intimidating beast for sure. Rhino and Lightning gun together at last - how can you go wrong?
Excellent rendering, presentation, and to flesh things out, the news article adds context to the design.
Paul Tobin - A really solid and very clearly communicated piece of design and rendering. Love the design aesthetic and attention to detail. Great work on the illustration as well, perhaps just needed to sell more aggression in the Rhinos head, squint the eye, maybe a bit of steam and snot coming out its nostrils etc.
Nice newspaper write-up but remember to always check your spelling and grammar ("aloud" should have been "allowed").
Great work !!
Steven Stahlberg - Seems to be the most functional design. Images are clear and informative.

2nd Place Winner - Lancer! Weapon: Self powering Taser Eel

lancer.jpg
lancer.jpg [ 59.99 KiB | Viewed 12177 times ]

Greg Broadmore - A great design because it combines the fantastic with the pragmatic. An eel with crossbow fired electrical bolts is as impractical an idea on paper as would seem possible, but the design here has been rendered with a mechanical logic as well as believable and functional form. This makes a far fetched idea somehow seem like it could have come from the top secret archives of some bizarre military research lab.
Paul Tobin - I really like how your design is driven by the creatures own hunting and self defense mechanism. The weapon itself has a nice design and function with the rounded forms complimenting the form of the eel. Sound work.
Steven Stahlberg - Would have liked to see the detail facing backwards visible to the front, or something similar.
No specular highlights should exist under water, only specular reflection. Texturing of taser is lacking, texturing of eel is pretty good.

3rd Place Winner - Tigger! Weapon: Elephant mounted Lemming Gun

tigger.jpg
tigger.jpg [ 57.89 KiB | Viewed 12177 times ]

Greg Broadmore - A fantastically fun idea - nicely rendered and the Da Vinci style schematics add massively to the presentation and set it in time. The atmospheric action shots show the scale and drama well.
Paul Tobin - A really well thought through package of work. Some really great dynamic illustrations to sell the design. Perhaps a little bit less soft focus on the elephant head and barrel area of the foreground elephant, as this is the part of the picture you can sell the design aspect along with the action.
Steven Stahlberg - Main image too blurry, supporting images much better. Good design, but probably lacking in range and efficiency.

Other entries...

Portergraphic. Weapon: Crab mounted Cannon

portergraphic.jpg
portergraphic.jpg [ 317.32 KiB | Viewed 12177 times ]

Greg Broadmore - Basically rendered, this design succeeds because of it's over the top and hilarious subject matter.
I love the little crab commander and can't help feeling for his poor minions! If that Coconut crab had vertebrae, his back would be killing him and that Cuttlefish has the worst job in military history!
This is a clever design and perhaps even breaks the brief to some degree as the animals and the weapon have almost become one in the same.
Paul Tobin - Nice interesting choice of creature. Nice fun design and some good detail work to sell the pirate theme. The cushion is interesting but I wonder how all this stays on top when it has to move around abruptly. Attachment rigging is always something you need to take into account to give the over all design a sense of plausibility. Great colour palette.
Steven Stahlberg – bad lighting, shadow is too light. Is that Santa's Sleigh, and is it made of tiny bricks?

Rabid Rabbit. Weapon: Bear mounted Squirrel Gun

rabidrabbit.jpg
rabidrabbit.jpg [ 132.94 KiB | Viewed 12177 times ]

Greg Broadmore - Hilarious idea and another perfect fit for a comical and over the top video game.
The illustration has some ways to go, but the blueprints and third-person view of our doomed lumberjack protagonist add a lot of character and style to this presentation. I would play this game, but I think I'd like to be on the bears side!
Paul Tobin - Some great ideas here but the schematic drawings and text need to be a bit tighter to help convey the function. I think the first illustration is a great piece and very successful in conveying the concept. Beautiful work on the bear, some more work needed on how to render metallic components so they don't feel soft. I am curious to know how the gun tilts up and down. The straps on the front attaching to the head don't seem to serve this function.
The stand off pic is lots of fun!
Steven Stahlberg – Design: again, somewhat top heavy, but not as much as some others. The gigantic battery with Energizer logo, would be funnier if it was an actual battery that exists, like a car battery or truck battery. This one looks like a PP3.

Smooth Criminal. Weapon: Dog mounted Laser

smoothcriminal.jpg
smoothcriminal.jpg [ 65.75 KiB | Viewed 12177 times ]

Greg Broadmore - A solid entry and clearly communicated. I like the colour scheme and the anthropomorphic attitude of the robotic gun.
Paul Tobin - The overall design feels a bit awkward perched on the dogs back. I wonder if the barrels could have been mounted on either side of the dog and project further ahead so that its head was not in danger of muzzle flash. The strapping works well but how does it detach? It can be a high tech system but if you give the viewer some visual queues that imply a locking mechanism it helps sell a more believable design. Really l
ike the head design of the robot component.
Steven Stahlberg – lack of effort in background, lighting, texturing, modeling. I know it was a late entry, but I have to grade it like I see it.
Design: Gun looks extremely top heavy and ready to slide sideways or topple dog.

Evoboy. Weapon: Gorilla with force-multiplied punching gloves

evoboy.jpg
evoboy.jpg [ 115.46 KiB | Viewed 12177 times ]

Greg Broadmore - A fun and clever design that incorporates thinking ideal for a videogame. The design is aesthetically and practically under developed, but the thinking behind the concept and how that would apply to a game character or boss is ideal.
Paul Tobin - Nice design that enhances the natural aggressive motions of the animal. The attachment bands feel a little thin and flimsy for such a staunch creature. Nice sense of the different materials used in the construction and cool dynamic illustration, great shock wave. Bit more attention to function and detail needed to design.
Steven Stahlberg – Design: How is the force multiplied? I was expecting some kind of exo-skeleton with hydraulics or the like to amplify motions of arms. How are his hands not blown to bits or all the bones broken when these tremendous energies are released?

:bravo:

Post subject: Re: Winner Announcement Here!!!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:35 pm 

Congrats Ahchu! Loved that design, nice craziness while still being very believable :thumbsup: And congrats to the runners up too! Good effort all round :D

Thanks heaps to the Judges for all the very valuable input, and thanks for gracing us with you're presence once again Greg.

I now only wish I had a little more time to work on this but them's the breaks, and the winning choices were well deserved.

Cheers NZCGI :smilethumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:36 pm 
Jedi Master

Oh wow - I got a place! Stoked! :shock: I'd had a lot stealing my time and nearly thought it simply wasn't worth applying towards the end. Guess it back up what I'd heard at MDS; that it's always best to try to submit something by the deadline. :fingerscrossed:

Great work all, and special congrats to Ahchu for taking the throne. Yours was one I'd had as a fav. :congrats:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:52 pm 
Administrator

Great work guys. Thanks for the effort you all put in! It was interesting reading the judges comments and seeing how they see stuff. Groovy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:13 pm 
Death Star Gunner

My heartiest congratulations to Jason Simpson,and other members who stood up to be the best. :congrats: :bravo:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:21 pm 
Ewok

congratulations jayson!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:40 pm 
Jedi Master

Congrats to the top three well done, they were awesome submissions :bravo: and thanks to the judges for their valuable feedback, i'm glad to read they had some good things to say about my entry :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:30 am 
Death Star Gunner

Hi Guys, Congrats to the winners!! . you guys did some amazing work..cheers to all. Really liked the feed back by the judges.Loved the whole experience, will be looking forward fore more !!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:38 pm 
Ewok

Cool! Nice to hear that the J man kicked some!
What newspaper article though?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:43 pm 
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:11 pm 
Sandtrooper

holy s#!t!

A big thanks to the judges, it's so cool that you guys give feedback....man I hope one day I can get up to your guys level of amazing creations, nothing could be better than making kick ass artwork..well maybe getting paid for making kick ass artwork :)
Thanks Worzel & Laz for taking the time to put together such a cool competition and I hope there will be more to come in the near future.

Grats Lancer and Tigger and the rest of you guys for finishing and doing such a great job. Hopefully there will be another contest in the new year where we all can go head to head again for some more fun :)

Sketchbook

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:57 am 
Ewok

Congrats to the winner... I loved your work.
I am stoked by the nice words of Mr. Broadmore and Mr Tobin.
I completely agree with Mr. Stahlberg. I totally need to work on my lighting.

Thaks for letting me jump in on this competition, was lots of fun!