Forum rules

Please attach an image to your first post so that a thumbnail is generated in the list of topics.

Post subject: Fishing Fishes
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:11 pm 
Imperial Guard

A very short short that I've started working on with my new character rig.

Just nearing the end of the blocking phase and figured it might be a good time to get some feedback :)

I haven't animated in over 2 years so.. yeah. First time in a LONG time I've attempted this, wish I still had my survival kit, lost it in all the moves :(

Post subject: Re: Fishing Fishes
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:46 am 
Administrator

My first bit of feedback - buy another survival kit!

Secondly, did you use any reference? There's no character/emotion in most of the poses, seems quite default. The fishing rod 'carrying' and 'reeling in' looks like it needs reference, as does the sitting down action.

Also, he gets bored very suddenly, without actually spending any time hoping to catch anything. If you wanted him to get bored, you need to show time passing.

The giant fish is too big, filling the screen makes it difficult to know what is happening. It actually seems like the fish is really close to the camera, instead of a giant fish - maybe timing is to blame there... it should probably spend more time in camera if it's a giant fish.

Overall timing of actions is pretty good though.

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:54 am 
Imperial Guard

I'll look at my reference again for the rod but I didn't find any for someone sitting down on a similar object - guess I just need to look harder. For his getting bored suddenly when I finished the animation I was going to make it transition from day -> night, but I suppose I could extend the animation.

Will fix fish, I was wondering if that needed to change.

As far as character/emotion goes (I assume you don't mean the face, that's yet to come) I'm not really sure how to just add that, obviously it's in the pose - suppose I'll go 'borrow' a survival kit until I get another of my own.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:48 pm 
Administrator

jaredtaylor wrote:
I didn't find any for someone sitting down on a similar object - guess I just need to look harder.

It's a simple sitting action - film yourself!

Quote:
For his getting bored suddenly when I finished the animation I was going to make it transition from day -> night

That works.

Quote:
As far as character/emotion goes (I assume you don't mean the face, that's yet to come) I'm not really sure how to just add that, obviously it's in the pose.

Not knowing how to add it is an issue... but I think the bigger issue is that you haven't decided what the character's personality is. That's where you start. Then you decide how he feels about being there - because his motives will influence his behavior. And THEN you figure out how to show all that through the pose AND timing.

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:02 pm 
Imperial Guard

Fair enough, I might start over and plan it out a bit better. It's been too long since I did something like this, I'm surprised the timing came out even average because I barely modified it - at least that's not something I have to worry over!

I don't really have anything appropriate to film myself with, got a cellphone and a webcam if I could prop them up somewhere useful, but then I don't have anything my legs can actually hang off :( Darn you long legs! I miss having a DSLR+tripod.

I'll try regardless and just.. fudge the animation into place to compensate for legs hitting the ground.

I've been hunting around book stores for anyone who stocks the animator's survival kit, but none of them stock it, they all have to order in and it takes 2-3 weeks :( I have a digital copy but I can't stand reading stuff on a computer screen, makes my eyes hurt. Know anywhere that stocks it by chance? Figure you're the only person who might have a clue :grin:

Now I need to decide if he actually wants to go fishing, maybe he has a family to feed and got fired, or it's a passionate hobby of his.. will have to see what works. I'm thinking doing it out of necessity, impatient and temperamental would fit in well with the ending.

I should totally make some dialogue / foley for this. :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:19 pm 
Imperial Guard

Waiting on my copy of animator's survival kit to arrive, it's on special at the book depository uk. I was told they deliver in around 5 days.

Then I'll read it, then I'll re-animate it :P It's been forever since I read that book, I grabbed a digital copy temporarily but my brain bleeds when I read books on a computer.