Forum rules

Please attach an image to your first post so that a thumbnail is generated in the list of topics.

Post subject: Re: 3D gallery showreel
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:52 pm 
Sandtrooper

I agree, it was just a test of the depth map in after effects since I had never used one before. For the final animation it will be a very minimal effect.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:33 pm 
Sandtrooper

Just had a little play with getting chromatic aberration working in after effects. I did a little comparison with and without the effect. Its pretty subtle about 1px movement of the blue and red channels in the opposite directions. I added a bit of DOP but a shot this close probably wouldnt have any. Now i just need to see what is up with the shader on the door.

Attachments:
aberration.jpg
aberration.jpg [ 919.24 KiB | Viewed 2265 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:44 pm 

Real lens chromatic aberration tends to have little effect in the middle with greater effect as it gets further out. So instead of just shifting the channels as a whole, try doing a spherical warp or something, because as it is now it just blurs the image.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:57 pm 
Sandtrooper

haha that was my next step. from what ive seen, red seems to get shifted the most. bout to have a crack at it now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:26 pm 
Sandtrooper

With this image I added an optics compensation filter to the red and blue channels. I got the most distortion on the red then the blue. Its looking much better. I also reduced the DOF a lot. Again probably wouldnt have any being this close to the subject depending on what aperture was being used.

Attachments:
chromaticDistortion.jpg
chromaticDistortion.jpg [ 441.64 KiB | Viewed 2264 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:30 pm 

Yea that looks much better, though you could still go even more subtle with it, don't want to make it look too faked ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:40 pm 
Sandtrooper

thanks :) . for the final animation it will be really subtle but for not its all about learning these techniques I havent tried before with my rendering. I still have a bit of work left on the over all lighting and getting all my models in the scene. one model in particular is giving me trouble. Every time i reference it in and change something and close the scene, when I reopen it parts of the mesh have moved into different locations, normals turn inside out or random verts have been pulled away from the model. I may just resort to importing that one model into the scene instead.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:54 pm 

Hmm, are the transforms frozen and history deleted on the reference model? Sounds very weird

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:38 am 
Sandtrooper

yup everything appears to be fine on the reference model its really bizarre but since its only happening to that model im gonna have to go back and check over it.