Forum rules

Please attach an image to your first post so that a thumbnail is generated in the list of topics.

Post subject: 2nd Year Animation Feedback.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:45 pm 
Ewok

Hello everyone

I'm new to the forums, thought I'd join to get involved in receiving and giving feedback. Mostly to receive feedback as I want to continue to improve my skills as an animator. This is our current class exercise, any feedback will be appreciated thanks :smile:

Here is hoping all I have to do is post the youtube link and the video will embed.

Post subject: Re: 2nd Year Animation Feedback.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:21 am 
Administrator

I embedded it for ya.

You just need to highlight the URL and press the "youtube" button at the top of the text box.

I'll check out the animation tomorrow.

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:31 pm 
Administrator

When he says "but only the left ones", the left hand is floating around too much. I'm not sure if you were trying to do some subtle 'left gesture' because he was saying "left", but I think keeping it still would be better, especially since he's gesturing quite obviously with his right hand (it'd be strange trying to have 2 obvious gestures in two different places).

Also I've attached a section of your animation below. I've drawn over the start where I think you can improve the arm movements. Currently when he first moves, the arms are really not doing anything for the action or pose, they just kinda hang down. You could definitely get some arcs and nice drag/follow-through in there.

Attachment:
Animation Test _Acting_2_edit3.mov [451.76 KiB]
Downloaded 148 times

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:03 pm 
Ewok

Thanks for the feedback Roger ! I got around to working on my animation this morning, I mostly had the left hand moving in what I thought was a subtle manner to give it some motion and make it react to what the right hand is doing, but I see what you mean and I've toned it down now. I've also done work on the arcs and drag of the hands and arms when he jumps forwards from the shadows, feedback will again be appreciated :)

Here's the latest version

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:38 pm 
Administrator

Yeah, be careful with your choice of movement. The right hand during that time is doing a pointing gesture, but isn't really moving around anywhere. The left hand in the meantime was drifting around... which is a different feeling. I would say that if one hand is pointing, which is quite a 'specific and directed' type of gesture, that the other hand should compliment that feeling... in which case I would not move the left hand much at all, but keep it quite still. Otherwise you get a conflicting message/feeling - one hand is "direct" while the other hand is "drifting". Also keep in mind the feeling you're conveying at that point in the story, and try to get all the parts of the body working together to tell that story accurately. Don't just think "motion"... think "story".

BTW, hands/arms look nicer now on that first move. You should really look at every frame of movement and make sure they look awesome (not just 'ok' or 'good'). Don't rely just on your key poses, or the one or two inbetweens you added - check every frame and really think about how you're getting from one pose to the other. Think about arcs and drag etc. You can often find quite pleasing ways of getting from one pose to another... and sometimes it's not quite the way you might think, in terms of 'natural' movement. Remember to design your movements, and make them aesthetically pleasing. That'll take you a long way to having a nice looking animation.

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:52 pm 
Administrator

I've attached a small animation I did AGES ago... it's of a pair of legs, doing a 'side step'. Apart from balance, it was an exercise in arcs and trying to get really nice transitions between poses. And I think it was that focus on the 'transitions' that make it look 'nice', and not the poses themselves.

Attachment:
sideStep_small5.mov [2.13 MiB]
Downloaded 138 times

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:37 pm 
Ewok

Hello again

I'm also back with the latest class exercise and would appreciate some feedback as I'm working through it at the moment. Thanks in advance :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:27 pm 
Administrator

Looking at it now, it may not be showing enough signs that he's lying... or perhaps they're not clear enough. One thing is the eyebrows, raising the inner corners (to make that classic sad eyebrow shape) is difficult to do/maintain when you're preoccupied with telling the lie. At the moment he has the sad brows the whole time, which makes him seem more sincere.

I find the timing of the nose wipe not so useful here, because he says the word "that" when he does it (with a pause on either side). I think using it when saying something more specific would work better.

I like the hands at the end... and I think more of that pose would be good.

But a bit late for you to change all that since I'm aware this is due tomorrow! But those are some pointers anyway!

Animation pointers:
- Frame 140 the hips rotate too much (angling up from left to right) given that he's standing pretty much in the middle of his feet. Remember that the hips need a reason to rotate like that, so look at what the body is doing so you can justify such rotations.

- around frame 180 as he does his small step (and weight shift) the foot timing feels a bit slow. I think visually the issue is that he does a big weight shift before the foot leaves the ground, so I'd assume the foot would need to land before the weight fully returns. However, the weight comes back quite a lot before the foot stops moving... so there's a very slightly uneven feeling to it. Hope that makes sense!

- His head is a bit stiff during the first movement (frames 15-30). No anticipation or overlapping. He does move back a little before hand, but remember the anticipation and action should have similar intensity. Right how he moves back very slowly, then his body and head all move forwards very suddenly, so there's not actually any anticipation for it.

- The arms are also lacking anticipation AND 'slow out' at the start when they lift up (frame 15). Go frame by frame and you'll see the hands suddenly jump forwards as they begin to lift up.

Feron Animation
Linked In