Forum rules

Please attach an image to your first post so that a thumbnail is generated in the list of topics.

Post subject: 11 Second Club Animation_ Blocking Feedback
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:19 pm 
Ewok

Hello everyone,

I've decided to enter the 11 Second Club comp this month, and I would dearly appreciate some feedback on my work as I make progress with it. At the moment I've completed a first blocking pass on Santa, with most of his key body mechanics blocked in and a few key expression put in there as well. I'm planning on starting to block out the second character, his little elf companion, and I thought in the meantime I could get some feedback on Santa.

I would like opinions on the part when the rest of the roof begins collapsing, after watching my play blast a few times I feel like there may be a bit too much going, with Santa jumping up and the roof collapsing, and then the Sleigh in the background beginning to move straight afterwards. My goal is to make sure Santa's performance is not lost during that particular section.

Cheers, all feedback is welcome and appreciated :grin: :grin:

Post subject: Re: 11 Second Club Animation_ Blocking Feedback
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:52 pm 
Administrator

Youtube embedded. You just need to remove the "s" from the "https://" at the start.

Cool idea. I listened to the audio a couple days ago, and thought of Santa too - must be the subliminal seasonal messaging!

I know it's your first blocking pass, but don't forget hand poses. They'll really help during the jump from the sleigh.

After he hits the chimney and jumps back (into the held standing pose), his legs seem a bit relaxed, which I think is mainly from his left leg bent and foot angled out. You probably want his legs tense (straight) to match the upper body tension. Also in that pose, looks like he's holding something into his left ear - may want to repose his left hand.

When he starts walking backwards, away from the chimney, his right hand pose on the box looks really awkward. The hand is uncomfortably wrapped around it. You can definitely pull the hand back, and maybe just have the fingers coming around the front of it.

I wouldn't be worried about missing Santa's actions, he stands out well and his pacing creates good contrast, so he's quite eye catching. On the other hand, I didn't notice that the gift fell down into the hole in the roof until maybe the 3rd or 4th viewing. Probably not a big issue though, as it's not important, but a nice 'extra'.

I didn't understand what the sleigh was doing when it flew away, but I think it's trying to do a loop 'off screen', then we see it again - that's really confusing because we see very little of the action. I'd just make it reverse up a little (anticipation), then take off with Santa in tow, then we actually know what's happening with the sleigh.

Awesome opportunity for a stretchy Santa flying past the camera at the end - you need to stretch him more, or slow him down a bit, or something so we can see him, but that's major exaggeration territory there!

I'm sure this'll be top 10 material! :thumbsup:

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:49 pm 
Ewok

Hello again,

Cheers for the feedback Roger, much appreciated and I took it all into consideration in this next WIP update.

I've tried my best to get some good hand poses through the whole animation and really paid attention to them. I got a feeling I may have over done it a bit with the finger spread, since he has open hands with spread fingers quite a bit of times though the animation, so your perspective on whether that is an issue or I'm just nit picking would be appreciated.

I also just realised the pose you told me to fix, the one after he jumps back from the chimney, still looks quite awkward as I've pulled the hand a little too far behind him, I think.

I edited the flying past the screen Santa so feedback on that would be great, cause now I feel like I may have slown it down a bit too much. Should I try to slow his face down as it flies past screen, but then speed up the other parts of his body ?

Thanks again. I'm having heaps of fun with this animation, and hopefully I'll get somewhere in the top 20 which would be awesome :grin:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:24 pm 
Administrator

Looking good. I think the body at the end as he flies past the camera needs to be a bit more curved - think about the path he's actually travelling on to help. As for the timing at the end, I like that we can see his face just for a moment, but the rest of him might be a bit slow following after - maybe you can ramp up the speed once his face is near the edge of the camera.

When he jumps back to the sleigh and grabs it, and is pulled away, his body is too straight there too. I'd curve his body to it arcs to follow the sleigh.

Also, he might need to look downwards just a little bit more near the end of his 'backing away' walk. Feels like his eyeline is just a bit too high.

Looking good!

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:47 am 
Tusken Raider

nice bro!