[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4761: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
NZCGI Forum

Post subject: LUCINO78 : The Artifact (Obsolete)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:35 am 
Sandtrooper

Read the text about the artifact over and over and i've come up with a rough idea. My artifact will be a sacred maori patu (club). It is several hundred years old before Europeans settled in NZ. The Patu is made of a material not found on earth. It was carved using tools not from our world. It possesses the ability to heal/grow or destroy things. Its function is dependant on the person who wields it. It also exudes a glowing bright blue light more so when in use.

Theres more to this story but i tried to keep it brief.

Currently researching maori tattoos/carvings/weaponry, etc.

I want the elements of the design to express the deeper story around the object, maori culture and not just random shapes clumped together because it looks cool.

Currently set on the patu for now but we'll see how the week goes. Chose it for its unique shape over something generic like an axe.

Last edited by LUCINO78 on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: LUCINO78 : The Artifact
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:56 am 
Administrator

Cool idea! Having the designs on it tell some of that story is a great idea. It'll be interesting to see how subtle or obvious those designs need to be.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:39 pm 
Sandtrooper

Just some rough thumbnails i did before i laid out my objectives in my first post. Wanted to see what i could produce without too much influence from actual references. More work to come with references

Attachments:
File comment: Random thumbnails of Patu.
Patu_reference.jpg
Patu_reference.jpg [ 461.43 KiB | Viewed 5169 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:04 pm 
Tusken Raider

Cool. A wahaika would be mean too, you could get some good design variations on that. I was thinking of doin a maori artifact too, like a vessel to carry mokomokai (preserved heads).
might be outa my depth with carving the details tho! Not sure how i'd go about that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:16 pm 
Sandtrooper

N_Dot - Cheers for the advice bro. I googled patu and grabbed a bunch of pics. references of Wahaika were included in that search which confused me for a while. These had some of the more beautiful designs. Man, i tip my hat to Maori culture, this art of moko, carving is just blowing my mind atm. Good luck on your idea. I think its a great idea. When i first read the story for the comp, the first thing that sprung to mind was Maori culture. I think theres so many possibilities that can be explored.

Worzel - I've been hitting my head against a brick wall trying to bring elements of the story into the design. gonna post a few pics up tonight. Ultimately, i might have to explain some of these elements if they're not as obvious. Might help if i flesh out my story a bit more too so ppl can make that association.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:31 am 
Sandtrooper

just some ideas on an alien design i can add to the artifact and some examples of Tanzanite gemstone that i think would look like the material i want to use for the artifact. Still working on the overall shape of the artifact.

Attachments:
File comment: references for weapons and material that i'm thinking of using.
references.jpg
references.jpg [ 466.06 KiB | Viewed 5125 times ]
File comment: few rough sketches of the alien head that i want to incorporate into the artifact design
alien_head_designs.jpg
alien_head_designs.jpg [ 579.68 KiB | Viewed 5125 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:52 pm 
Sandtrooper

Some quick updates. Really hoping to have final design nailed by this sunday.

In reference to my final design pic:

A) The alien/"skywalker". One of the main characters of the story.

B) The patterns i wanted to include, spiral/koru fern to represent life cycle and the fern represents what the tribe really are.... farmers/carvers. This patu was a means of repelling warring tribes trying to conquer them

C) The tribe inhabitants. I wanted the pose/design to be neutral with the statues being more welcoming than hostile or warrior-type ie. poking tongue.

D) Design i thought might work for the alien. Might have to take away some detail to speed things up.

The other pic posted up was just me trying to get to grips with the shapes. I tried to incorporate the sky god Ranginui into the Patu. Didn't work out.

I decided on a name as well for this artifact. I wanted to call it "Te Roimata Ranginui" roughly translated "The Teardrop of Ranginui".Inverting the patu resembles rough silhouette of teardrop. Thought it went with the blue color and the fact the material came from the skywalkers/aliens.

Attachments:
File comment: Almost final design
Final_design01.jpg
Final_design01.jpg [ 337.16 KiB | Viewed 5082 times ]
File comment: Rough designs
Rough_design01.jpg
Rough_design01.jpg [ 345.66 KiB | Viewed 5082 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:00 am 
Administrator

Nice brainstorming. I like way you've brought the different elements together.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:58 pm 
Sandtrooper

Hmmmm...... something happened today which kinda blew the wind out of my sails. I had a friend who i pitched my idea to hoping he might be able to help me out. He warned me in a polite way that it might not be wise to base any design off of Maori symbols. I'm going to make a few changes to the designs which hopefully won't take too long and also change the backstory.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:57 am 

Did the warning come from a cultural perspective?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:04 am 
Sandtrooper

Yes. gonna make some changes that will distance the project from all of that. have a few ideas. lost a days worth of productivity and all those hours getting to where i was at.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:22 am 

Ah well, gotta do what feels right I suppose.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:42 pm 
Sandtrooper

Eureka! Got a new idea. Decided to move completely away from what i did here. A lot less painful but will prob mean more work. Posting up some stuff in a new thread (if thats ok Worzel) soon.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:34 pm 
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:14 pm 

There is really no problem with basing your ideas with an obvious cultural influence. The only time it can cause a problem is if you plan to make money from it. If you are planning to make money from it, you really have to do your research, especially with Maori design, every little Koru has a meaning and most often different for every Iwi. Things can get very complicated very quickly. As for this competition, it really wouldn't matter.

That being said, looking forward to your new idea being realised.