[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4761: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
NZCGI Forum

Post subject: jayson.Simpson : The Artifact
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:54 pm 
Death Star Gunner

I'm going to try and stick it out til the end, i'm in production at the mo so I have given myself Friday nights and maybe one Saturday to work on this..depending how the work load is going, but it looks to fun not to try.

So after reading up on the story, I thought I would base the back story story around Moriori, so last Friday just started doing some research and jotting some ideas down and pulling idea out of some of the articles I was reading.

Still not sure what the artifact is going to look like, I have narrowed the powers down to three, so from what I choose will sort of dictate what the look will be, hopefully I can get that done as on the way to a design by the end of tomorrow night.

anyways here are my crappy notes from last friday, sorry about my messy hand writing :)

Attachments:
Ideas_A.jpg
Ideas_A.jpg [ 194.57 KiB | Viewed 5884 times ]

Post subject: Re: jayson.Simpson : The Artifact
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:45 am 
Administrator

Good to have you in the comp, hope you can finish it!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:25 am 
Death Star Gunner

Cheers Worzel, I hear sleep is overrated anyways :)

Ok pretty much know what I am doing now, I am in the progress of drawing up the concepts, hopefully have thos posted tomorrow night once the page is fulled or I strike the design that I will go with.

Researching has got to be one of my favorite aspects of design, man you get to learn some cool shit. Anyways enough of my blabbering.

Backstory to follow shortly, loosely based on Mayan mythology

Attachments:
Ideas_B.jpg
Ideas_B.jpg [ 169.96 KiB | Viewed 5861 times ]
Ideas_C.jpg
Ideas_C.jpg [ 113.37 KiB | Viewed 5861 times ]
Ideas_D.jpg
Ideas_D.jpg [ 297.15 KiB | Viewed 5861 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:17 pm 

Nice man, good to see you keeping up with your own work outside of school, just dont burn yourself out :P

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:45 pm 
Death Star Gunner

Alrighty then, here is another late update, going to start the base mesh tonight, and try and get it sorted. It is going to be a sprint to the finish line that is for sure...hope I can finish this one...Fingers crossed.

Attachments:
Ideas_E.jpg
Ideas_E.jpg [ 187.81 KiB | Viewed 5799 times ]
Ideas_F.jpg
Ideas_F.jpg [ 160.89 KiB | Viewed 5799 times ]
Ideas_G.jpg
Ideas_G.jpg [ 202.26 KiB | Viewed 5799 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:40 am 
Administrator

Good stuff! One more week to go! What is all that 'hair' made from? How are you going to do that?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:21 am 
Death Star Gunner

Cheers Worzel, yeah it will be a mad dash, hopefully I can get something finished. I was thinking of doing hair in maya originally but now I really wanna try out the new fibre mesh in the new zbrush update, I miss using zbursh and any excuse to use it is a good one :)

Here is a quick sculpt, just getting the base mesh ready and the basic forms, still have some squishing around to do, and trying to get it not to look like a predator mask :P

Attachments:
Bashmesh001.jpg
Bashmesh001.jpg [ 92.14 KiB | Viewed 5770 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:49 am 
Sandtrooper

nice work. liking the sculpting

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:00 am 
Death Star Gunner

LUCINO78 - Thanks man, yeah sculpting is so much fun, I really want to have a go of traditional sculpting sometime, have you ever tried?

well look at the time, sure flies when you are having fun. I was hoping to have base mesh done and dusted this time around..but very close. Quickly made a couple of skulls for the top, they were just dynameshed spheres originally, tweaked shapes from last previous sculpt. Will do a hair test next once I have the base mesh done, and get the hair out of the way asap.

Attachments:
Bashmesh002.jpg
Bashmesh002.jpg [ 286.56 KiB | Viewed 5736 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:19 pm 
Administrator

Cool! Nice progress!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:22 pm 

Starting to look groovy already, and you've lost the predator look too ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:17 am 
Death Star Gunner

Worzel - Thanks, yeah it is coming along, I really want to illustrate my backstory to, but that isn't going to happen, maybe a little side project down the track :P

Evoboy - Cheers bud, I should have a good update after a good sculpting session on friday night.

Not a big update tonight, got a lot of work to do on production, but did manage to squeeze of a little hair test. Getting some Bon-jovi action going on :P
I was just playing around with the new fibre mesh in zbrush, it is a lot of fun and pretty straight forward to use which is good. The grooming brushes are a tad interesting but they can be customized, either way it is still a lot nicer than trying to do grooming in maya.

Attachments:
Hairtest.jpg
Hairtest.jpg [ 682.06 KiB | Viewed 5715 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:16 pm 
Tusken Raider

Looks dope!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:50 am 
Death Star Gunner

N_Dot - thanks man

Still got a bit of work to but should get there in the end. Finished retopo yesterday for all assets, andstarted to clean up the sculpt, being able to project previous sculpt on the new retopo mesh makes life a lot easier that is for sure.

Setup the basic shaders for the stone and the gold, still will tweak the lighting as well. Will carry on when I get back from school today.

Attachments:
Masksizet.jpg
Masksizet.jpg [ 465.17 KiB | Viewed 5690 times ]
Majorforms.jpg
Majorforms.jpg [ 211.61 KiB | Viewed 5690 times ]
shadertest1.jpg
shadertest1.jpg [ 389.2 KiB | Viewed 5690 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:42 pm 
Sandtrooper

nice progress. really liking the work.