[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4761: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
NZCGI Forum

Post subject: Paul Wright Design: The Artifact
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:35 pm 
Tusken Raider

Ok so I was given the heads up about this competition at polytech and figured since I have the time id try and come up with something for this. My idea is a Maori vase artifact which is one of the many pieces for the explorers to find in what could be considered a Maori holy grail. The vase will be made out of greenstone. Here is an outline drawing I came up with.

Attachments:
vaseOutline.jpg
vaseOutline.jpg [ 164.78 KiB | Viewed 3508 times ]

Post subject: Re: Paul Wright Design: The Artifact
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:40 pm 
Tusken Raider

Here is a photoshop rendering of the vase that I did today. Now that I have the design figured out, I will look at modeling it this weekend.

Attachments:
vaseCol.jpg
vaseCol.jpg [ 268.77 KiB | Viewed 3507 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:03 pm 

Cool idea, and that's a nice rendering too! Is the thing on the right a plug/cork for the top?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:17 pm 
Tusken Raider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:30 pm 
Tusken Raider

Ok so I just wrote a massive piece about the ideas that went behind this piece but for some reason it didnt post, so ill write it again.

I wanted this vase to look similar to a traditional fish hook. The lip of the vase being like the tip of the hook. Also in my mind from a front view i want the lip of the vase to resemble the tongue on the tiki.

I found the other Maori designs on the internet so I'm hoping they are traditional and not someones copyrighted designs, but as its in the public domain and this project is not for profit I'm sure i will be fine to use it. I incorporated the Tiki because its a well known icon in New Zealand and fits well with the overall design.

For the handle of the vase I looked at koro designs and wanted to incorporate the tip of a green stone Taiaha into the end of the handle.

I want the vase to appear to be made from green stone as im not sure if its been done or is even possible in reality. I am considering texturing the Tiki's eyes in a paua shell look.

I am undecided if i want the final work to look like it is in perfect shape or, to have cracks and imperfections in it.

I will be sculpting the details in using zbrush. To get that appearance of green stone, I will be using a subsurface scattering shader in combination with my own created texture for the epidermal layer. I am considering having some liquid gold splashing out of the vase which I will simulate in Realflow to create the mesh and crate a gold shader in maya. It will look like a freeze frame in the final turntable render. I will post updates during the process and decide at the end if i want to use the liquid in the submission or not.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:45 pm 
Administrator

Hey Paul, welcome to the forum! The photoshop render looks pretty nice! Looking forward to seeing your 3D version!

:dance:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:56 pm 
Tusken Raider

Ok so here is a quick little ambient occlusion render of how its looking so far. Still have to model the rest of the handle and I think make some changes to the base as its not really what I had envisioned in my head.

Attachments:
vaseAO.jpg
vaseAO.jpg [ 188.67 KiB | Viewed 3454 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:20 pm 
Tusken Raider

Here's a little render now that the handle is done. Still gotta sort the base.

Attachments:
vase2.jpg
vase2.jpg [ 141.6 KiB | Viewed 3453 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:14 pm 
Administrator

Looks like the base doesn't curl underneath so much in the design (where it contacts the ground). It's looks a lot rounder in the 3D. Maybe pulling it out a bit would make it feel more stable/base-like?