[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4761: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
NZCGI Forum

Post subject: rob1234567890: The Artifact
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:47 pm 
Droid

New to this forum, so hi everyone!

Hope I have enough time to get this finished, have had a hectic week and not much spare time outside of work, sleep, and packing up my flat into boxes.

So, heres some backstory:

Our explorer is something of a scavenger / salvager, recovering or stealing tech and valuable materials and selling on to non-sanctioned research groups.
He is in pursuit of a crashed smuggling vessel, rumored to be carrying valuable, and illicit, genetic samples.

He has just realized what the object he has picked up is, and what sort of cargo was being smuggled.
It is a broken stasis collar, a sectioned alloy hoop bolted together, with savage needle-like electrodes pointing inwards. They are designed to slip over the neck of aggressive animals, or in this case as our explorer knows, some sort of genetically altered hybrid.
Judging by the size of the collar and the claw marks cutting into the alloy, whatever escaped is very large, and very aggressive.

I have some rough sketches and model WIP screenshots to upload when I get home.

Post subject: Re: rob1234567890: The Artifact
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:48 pm 

Cool idea, good luck with your time ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:47 am 
Administrator

Welcome to the forum! Great concept! Hope you have time to get something in!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:32 pm 
Droid

Some sketches.

Excuse the hastily thrown together image- a lot of stuff was in boxes by this point so ended up jotting down ideas wherever / whenever I could!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:36 pm 
Droid

WIP screenshots.

lots of detail to go, some smoothing errors to fix up, have to close seam between objects, quick UV (hopefully), quick texture (!), quick lighting and render. Done. Simple...

electrode group WIP, to point inward on collar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:10 pm 
Administrator

Hey, how's you going? Almost time!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:03 pm 
Droid

not too late?

Attachments:
the_artifact_final_submission_rob0123456789.zip [999.53 KiB]
Downloaded 248 times

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:34 am 
Droid

So I did run into a lot of problems, and didn't get to fully work out the texturing / shading.
Even had to stop my beauty render about %80 through so I could upload my entry... (note to self: 2008 laptop not ideal 3d machine)

Got the model down though, with perhaps just a few wrinkles to be ironed out.

Will work on the surfacing further - I really wanted to make it look as if the collar had been discarded, scratched up, and torn off somehow - so rust, exposed metal, and even dried blood would have featured if I had more time.

Heres the occlusion render so you don't have to dl the zip:

Attachments:
collar_occlusion_render.jpeg
collar_occlusion_render.jpeg [ 508.61 KiB | Viewed 5115 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:46 am 

Very cool design, I'd like to see what you can do with it texture wise.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:46 am 
Administrator

Thanks for getting your submission in! Hopefully next comp you've got a more awesome machine! Or you get to start rendering earlier!