Forum rules

Please attach an image to your first post so that a thumbnail is generated in the list of topics.

Post subject: Re: Creatures
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:28 pm 
Imperial Guard

What a cool thread this one is. Loved the sausage dog animation!

I think you should look at facial animations too (Was thinking about the lion here) just to bring out the personality of the animation.

Great job on those wings, such complicated things with their folding up etc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:49 pm 
Administrator

I'd love to get into facial animation, but there wasn't time... maybe later I can add that in. The rigs actually have no facial rigging... so can't even turn eyes yet!

The gorilla hands were tricky to rig. Since they walk on the ends of the 2nd knuckle, I ended up using the 'reverse foot' method in the hands to get 'knuckle roll'. I quite like what I ended up with, and I'm probably going to add it into my regular rigs too, since it also means you can 'peel' the hand off a flat surface nicely (palm lifting through to finger tips last).

Attachment:
controls.jpg
controls.jpg [ 38.02 KiB | Viewed 2979 times ]

Attachment:
pivot_01.gif
pivot_01.gif [ 108.17 KiB | Viewed 2979 times ]
Attachment:
pivot_02.gif
pivot_02.gif [ 125.8 KiB | Viewed 2979 times ]

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:13 pm 
Administrator

Having a go at texturing the body. Not really for closeups since I'm texturing thick, long fur! But thought I'd see how it turns out any way.

Wings and feathers tomorrow. Not really sure how that's going to turn out. :???:

Attachment:
texturedBody.jpg
texturedBody.jpg [ 49.85 KiB | Viewed 2960 times ]

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:53 pm 
Sandtrooper

Heavy weight craeture with feather wings. Hm . . Looking forward to see how you animate it. Very interesting creature !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:20 am 
Administrator

Theoretically, it would probably not fly... at least not if you simply stuck wings onto a gorilla. I would have to assume that this is the result of either evolution, or some genetic experiment, which in either case the creature has developed particular adaptations for flight (other than wings). Perhaps it has a lighter weight skeleton than regular gorillas, or like birds it might have fewer internal organs than typical mammals.

But indeed showing the 'weight' of this creature during flight was the point of creating it! So I shall try at some stage. :grin:

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:26 pm 
Administrator

Latest wings. There should be feathers covering the 'skin' of the wings... but that'll be a longer job for another time!

Attachment:
gorillaWings.jpg
gorillaWings.jpg [ 77.75 KiB | Viewed 2923 times ]

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:58 am 
Imperial Guard

very cool, that should open up a whole heap of crazy animations (i.e for his "threat" or "aggresion" responses - not to mention his mating dance).

Maybe more color through the wings, in the underside - hes a bit black and grey. Even if its just a blueish sheen on the tips or some jungle green.

bit like these guys

Attachments:
imagebird2.jpg
imagebird2.jpg [ 55.07 KiB | Viewed 2897 times ]
imagesbird.jpg
imagesbird.jpg [ 11.99 KiB | Viewed 2897 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:27 am 
Administrator

Thanks man. I was basing the wing colours of Condor wings, since they were originally the wings I made for the condor. That image is desaturated in PS, but the gorilla does actually have a little blue tinge to his leathery face skin, so perhaps I can add it into the feathers too.

Actually, looking at my reference, there are little bits of other colours here and there... like the odd brown feather amongst mostly black feathers. And there is some blueness to some feathers, while other birds seem totally black and white. As you can tell from the image above, I haven't had time to treat individual feathers... so when I get back onto it, I'll have a look at colouring them properly!

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:41 pm 
Tusken Raider

hm gorilla that can fly? haven't seen that befor, how do you plan to animate it?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:04 pm 
Administrator

Haven't gotten around to starting anything myself, but I had my students animate it for an assessment. We did some bird animation - condor, to gain an understanding of how a large bird flies, compared to small birds - wing movement etc. For the assessment they had to research gorilla movement, for things like walking gait, climbing techniques etc. Then they had to combine the two, with some conditions I outlined - the gorilla is too heavy for a ground/vertical takeoff, and runs too slowly for a running takeoff, so it had to climb something to launch itself into the air. They didn't do too badly. Giving the gorilla weight was the tricky bit. The less tricky bit was deciding what the gorilla did with its arms and legs while flying - did they just dangle, or did the arms or legs move as a reaction to the wing strokes, in the same manner as a condor taking off. But I'd love to have a go animating it myself... and will do at some stage. Sometimes my students have all the fun!

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:18 pm 
Administrator

Oh yeah, How To Train Your Dragon was good reference for large flying creatures. The difference between smaller dragons and that super large dragon at the end was good to see. One of the important factors is wing stroke frequency - the larger the wings (and larger the animal), the slower and less frequently the wings flap. It creates the illusion of large size and heavy weight.

Feron Animation
Linked In