Forum rules

Please attach an image to your first post so that a thumbnail is generated in the list of topics.

Post subject: 3D gallery showreel
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:58 pm 
Sandtrooper

Decided instead of the typical 360 turntable type showreels, I am going to make a 3d gallery with some of my best works filling the scene and will animate a camera through the gallery. I have been playing around with it for a few days now but most of the modeling and lighting is done. Some parts are still a bit under lit. Heres some renders of where Im at so far. Any comments or crits welcome.

Attachments:
colours.jpg
colours.jpg [ 775.34 KiB | Viewed 4345 times ]

Post subject: Re: 3D gallery showreel
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:01 pm 
Sandtrooper

this is the colour scheme I like the most. most of the colours were taken from resene paint charts. I felt the red had the best contrast with the green plants and golden picture frames.

Attachments:
ferrariJ.jpg
ferrariJ.jpg [ 552.36 KiB | Viewed 4344 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:02 pm 
Sandtrooper

the entrance area.

Attachments:
ferrari2j.jpg
ferrari2j.jpg [ 553.72 KiB | Viewed 4344 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:03 pm 
Sandtrooper

Here is a shot of when I thought I was going for green. The chrome was really blown out.

Attachments:
ferrariClose.jpg
ferrariClose.jpg [ 608.86 KiB | Viewed 4344 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:05 pm 
Sandtrooper

This render was from quite early on. The scale was really out on the buliding, statues and vehicles. I later removed a lot of the elements and got everything to scale.

Attachments:
gallery2.jpg
gallery2.jpg [ 1007.59 KiB | Viewed 4344 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:57 pm 

Cool idea :nodding:

Personally I would lean towards a relatively neutral colour for the walls (maybe even just desaturated) and either light or dark, for the same reason you'll find the background of most photographers websites are either white or black (or close to); so that the artwork itself stands out on it's own. Just a thought.

As a colour-scheme and image-as-a-whole, I like the burgundy and marble in "ferrari2j.jpg" (so #3 in your colour chart), but as an art gallery I'd probably go for a lighter version of #4.

One thing that stands out to me at the moment is the sheer chrome-ness of the rims on the Enzo, makes them kind of plastic looking.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:30 am 
Sandtrooper

The closeup with the enzo on the burgundy is how the scene looks in its current state. I reduced the reflection on the chrome as it was looking very blown out as you can see in the later images. Im going to switch to a linear work flow for the lighting which should fix a bit of the lighting once i tweak all the lights. I ran bit of a pole and #3 was the most popular by a land slide which im happy about cause I quite liked it. I know most galleries are white or grey but I found it to be a bit boring to look at. I will see how things go with the linear lights and photometric lenses then see if maybe the wall colour needs adjusting.

Today I am gonna play with z depth maps as I think DOP will make a lot of difference to the image. Im also going to add a little chromatic aberration in after effects. I still have a few more models to populate the scene with. So far renders are pretty lengthy (20mins per frame). I have made some tweaks to the final gathering values which helped a bit but in the end i may have to squeeze it a little more and sacrifice on AA. I did see about a 3min decrease in render time when using a final gathering map however I noticed there is a bug once you set "off" and render from a new position to add final gather points, my computer only renders at 25% on all 6 cores.

Once the animation is completed I may have to just deal with the slow render times to create a final gather map just to speed up the final render.

Cheers for your quick response :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:36 am 
Sandtrooper

I know image 4 would work but its not the most desired colour.

Attachments:
gal.jpg
gal.jpg [ 455.2 KiB | Viewed 4334 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:40 am 
Sandtrooper

Im kinda going for a more of a museum look. loosely something like this:

Attachments:
gal3.jpg
gal3.jpg [ 254.84 KiB | Viewed 4334 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:13 am 

Yea that's why I mentioned #3 because it does look like a more pleasing place to be.

I haven't done any rendering in a looong time so I can't help you with your render times unfortunately, way too out of touch (not that I was really in touch at any point...)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:43 pm 
Sandtrooper

Did a couple render test using more neutral colours. Not sure if i really like any of them but if I were to pick it would be between mist green and bronco however bronco might make things look a bit too monochromatic for my liking.

Attachments:
neutral.jpg
neutral.jpg [ 668.07 KiB | Viewed 4323 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:48 pm 
Sandtrooper

In the end it came down to these two choices but I decided to go with Bronco. I had a play with trying to setup the linear workflow to no real success. Instead of being able to reduce the lights in the scene and their associated intensities, I had to increase them by almost double. Not sure what went wrong so i reverted back to an earlier version. On the plus side, I managed to get depth maps working which is the first time I have ever used them and seemed to be very little cost to render time.

Attachments:
final.jpg
final.jpg [ 404.2 KiB | Viewed 4318 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:49 pm 
Sandtrooper

A test with the depth map in After Effects.

Attachments:
foreBlur.jpg
foreBlur.jpg [ 128.37 KiB | Viewed 4318 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:50 pm 
Sandtrooper

And another with a little hint of a bloom effect and a dirty lens flare cause i know how much everyone hates them. At least i know i do when they are used incorrectly. Such as this example. :)

Attachments:
depth.jpg
depth.jpg [ 167.23 KiB | Viewed 4318 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:07 pm 
Administrator

Prob too much depth of field for a wide camera. In the photos above there's not much DoF.

Feron Animation
Linked In