Forum rules

Please attach an image to your first post so that a thumbnail is generated in the list of topics.

Post subject: General Hologram
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:24 am 
Droid

Hey guys!

I'm a first year student at MDS, and just finished the modelling summative for the modelling module. The assignment was to model a character head, and we got to choose between three characters from the film "Wreck-it Ralph" and I chose this guy - General Hologram! We only had a week to model this guy, and there are a lot of stuff I wish I had paid more attention to, such as the medals.

Please feel free to leave comments and critiques. Rip it apart!

Attachments:
File comment: Reference
HoloPost.jpg
HoloPost.jpg [ 184.74 KiB | Viewed 2962 times ]
RENDERSTAGES2.jpg
RENDERSTAGES2.jpg [ 727.5 KiB | Viewed 2962 times ]

Post subject: Re: General Hologram
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:52 am 
Administrator

Looks really cool! Could you do a front and side render too, like the reference images?

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:26 pm 
Droid

Thank you!

Here you go.

Attachments:
wire.jpg
wire.jpg [ 886.58 KiB | Viewed 2955 times ]
websiterender.jpg
websiterender.jpg [ 212.96 KiB | Viewed 2955 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:38 pm 
Administrator

Very nice likeness! In the side view, the the brow looks rounder on your model. In the reference image, the forehead is flatter as it runs down to the brow, then curves under into the bridge of the nose.

The cheeks feel a little less defined than the reference image. From the front, we don't get that angle cheek bone sticking out into the center of the ear. In your model that part is quite flat (down the side of the head).

The folded edge of the hat in the side view looks quite sharp. Might need softening so it feels more like cloth.

Your ears are not as well integrated into the model as in the reference. They look like separate objects at the moment.

One issue that I think is being caused by the topology, is the softened jaw line. In the side view, you'll notice a nice line from the ear, down the jaw, and out to the tip of the chin. That shape is missing from your model. Looking at your topology, it may have paid to have the loops that create the jaw line (starting from the ear) angle off towards the tip of the chin, instead of running under the jaw (halfway between the neck and the chin). I'm not an expert modeller... but that's my thought there. :grin:

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:26 am 
Droid

Thank you for the feedback. I agree with pretty much everything you said. The jawline topology issue you mentioned is something I noticed towards the end of the last day of modelling, and I cursed myself for not paying more attention to the reference images. Really good feedback! :thankyou:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:21 pm 
Jedi Master

yeap roger is right there's a great site called cgimeetup.net which shows production shots of well known games and movies and one thing i was shocked at seeing was how awful topology can be from some of Pixars movies most notable Toy Story where topology was rather minimal but wit that they could get a really cool style and softly beveled jaw lines, here's how Id flow my topology for this character, for the most part I'd say you have done what I would of done :D

Attachments:
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG [ 66.58 KiB | Viewed 2864 times ]