Forum rules

Please attach an image to your first post so that a thumbnail is generated in the list of topics.

Post subject: Re: Jacob Tuck Sketchenings
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:12 pm 
Administrator

Yep, Hammer Weights is a super awesome tool. Worked every time I've needed it.

So how exactly are the curves affecting the skin? Are they ik spline curves with joints along them?

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:00 pm 
Death Star Gunner

Worzel wrote:
Yep, Hammer Weights is a super awesome tool. Worked every time I've needed it.

So how exactly are the curves affecting the skin? Are they ik spline curves with joints along them?

so, for each muscle joint chain (those are all blue joint chains ranging 6-11 joints) there's blending between two other identical joint chains. One being the follicle curve (basic ik spline), the other being the output curve of a nHair system. This way, dynamics can be completely switched on and off, toned up and down depending the muscle, etc.

Then- it's back to basics (considering, anyway) with your squash and stretch set up- the good ol conditions and multDiv nodes to ensure the joint chains respect the nHair stretch and squash from the follicle curves being driven by control joints constrained to the bind skeleton.

Once the muscle chains are driven by control joints and squash and stretch, each are given a unique profile curve to accentuate definition for each unique shape (something you ain't gonna get easily from maya muscles). Also for the sake of maintaining unique muscle behavior, assignments of different hair systems per muscle type are given (tricep, bicep, splenius, brachiocephalicus, what have you).

After the profile curve stage of the process is completed, I'm looking into a runtime before dynamics expression type of deal where the scale deformation of each muscle joints movement occurs 1-2 frames before the movement, ensuring the look that the muscles drive the movement and not the other way around.

Though this was promised at the beginning of the process to be an nCloth horse with muscles that would collide the simulated skin for skin sliding effect, I'm going to stay on the nHair route as long as possible to see if ultimately the nCloth would only be approached for self collision.

some day i might even give this thing a mane, tail, eyes and teeth too!! haha look out.

once Sugarcube is finished, she'll probably make me finally break down and get a website to show the entire process of making her, or at least post the whole process in the rigging thread aye?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:22 pm 
Administrator

jacobTuck wrote:
After the profile curve stage of the process is completed, I'm looking into a runtime before dynamics expression type of deal where the scale deformation of each muscle joints movement occurs 1-2 frames before the movement, ensuring the look that the muscles drive the movement and not the other way around.

Neat idea. Muscle anticipation!

jacobTuck wrote:
once Sugarcube is finished, she'll probably make me finally break down and get a website to show the entire process of making her, or at least post the whole process in the rigging thread aye?

That would be cool to see for sure.

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:00 pm 
Death Star Gunner

Final rig of my horse Sugarcube is featured on my 2015 show reel you can check out herehttp://www.vimeo.com/123673136 thanks heaps for watching her progress trot along over the last couple years of spare time. Going to focus back on drawing for a while now me thinks. Inventing an alternative to Maya muscles was fun and all but I really miss drawing stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:25 pm 
Administrator

Great work dude! Horse looks really good.

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:38 pm 
Death Star Gunner

Thank you very much, Roger. Learned a lot from that horse, will still do a breakdown better illustrating its rig when I get the time

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:32 pm 
Death Star Gunner

Hey friends!

Been a while, long time no post, hope you're all well.

Last I posted a Sugarcube, she deformed entirely from a skin bind between a basic bind rig and nHair spline joint chains to represent superficial muscles. While this creates nice secondary weight shifts on the mesh, I have taken it a step further; to the final step in my creature body rigging. I've modelled a skeleton and the superficial muscles the joint chains represent. I've converted the geo to passive colliders, and the skin mesh to nCloth, and after a good bit of vertex attribute painting, this is where it's up to.

Just started reshading her from scratch, hence her baby oil sheen she's got going on right now.

Here's a little vid showing all the collider geo and its behaviour prior to simulation with the horse geo:

And here's the skin sim:

As always, thank you for watching!

Attachments:
sugarcubeSkinSimTest002.gif
sugarcubeSkinSimTest002.gif [ 861.84 KiB | Viewed 4080 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:50 am 
Administrator

Overall I think you've done a pretty cool job on this! Just some of the skin around the thighs looks like it is deforming too much.

Interesting technique! :thumbsup:

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:10 pm 
Death Star Gunner

Hey everybody! Long time no post. Here's a rig test I've been playing with in the home time after work of my good boy Rolph. He has aggrivated this Horsefly, who is named Bongo. Thanks for looking. New rig revisions, more animation to come

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:49 pm 
Administrator

A long time indeed!

Any demo of the character rig? That animation was kinda sporadic!

Feron Animation
Linked In

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:38 am 
Death Star Gunner

Hey! Haven't got any rig break down yet as it's very basic for skin weights only to test where I need to remodel the different pieces of torso geo, preventing all that nasty penetration. Other than the stretch ik across him, there is a pretty sweet "lipstick" set up I've done where the top lip is weighted to the jaw on the left, right, and middle of the mouth. With a sliding attribute, one can control the top lips weight between the jaw and head respectively- allowing a cool 'chewing' sort of effect by only animating the jaw control while the top lip is weighted to jaw.

Agreed that it was all way too fast though- so I re-uploaded as slower version :)
thanks for confirming my bad second guessing and for watching!